Posted: 31-May-2006, 08:32 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Kentucky

male

well, folks. After getting myself scalped last night (Went to get my hair cut and they took off an inch or two more than I wanted), I came home and found a wonderful little E-mail from dyndns saying "Your account has been blocked due to abuse"

I then went to investigate and found half the filesystem on my server missing. I couldn't even run ls to see what is or is not there.

Ohh! and it gets better!!!!!!

I went downstairs to check the server, and found nothing except pages on pages on pages of read errors on /dev/hda.

I attempted a reboot, and the system no longer sees that hard drive.

I then shut it off, and grabed the Kahluha and Vodka as I went back upstairs. Mixed myself a good strong White Russian, and relaxed in front of the TV as best I could.

Maybe, when I get home tonight, I'll be able to get that hard drive going again and bring my machine back online. Then I'll have Internet back, although then there's getting my website back online. For all I know right now, the DNS error may be caused by the hard drive issue. I can only wait to let my hair grow back out, my neck is cold right now as I sit at work typing this. sad.gif

--------------------
Poet and seeker of knowledge

PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
Senara 
Posted: 31-May-2006, 09:06 AM
Quote Post

Musican/Ruler of the Dells/Warrior
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Caer Portshire, Mist Hollow

female

do you think the hair-cut and the technical issues might be related...your hair wasn't enchanted or anything that when it gets cut all your files go kaput in a Sampson-esque sort of way?????

My advice...have another White Russian before looking at the issue any further. Sorry to hear the gremlins have found you though but I'm sure you'll figure it out in no time. But until then you might want to pull the scarf back out of the closet to keep your neck warm until your hair grows back.

hang in there....

--------------------
Senara-ism : Life is like a theatrical production only you get to be actor, director, and audience all at once. So break a leg, sit back and enjoy the show!

"When the waves are high and the light is dying, raise a glass and think of me..." -Gaelic Storm

Cha chòir dòrn a thoirt an aghaidh pòig.
A kiss ought not to be met with a fist.

Thig crioch air an saoghal, ach mairidh gaol is ceòl.
The world will pass away, but love and music last forever.

"I am a crazy, rabid squirrel! I want my cookies!" Hammy-Over the Hedge
PMEmail Poster               
dundee 
Posted: 31-May-2006, 09:16 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacReed

male

dam aaedw......

that sucks... i only see one minor error in your reaction... a bottle of single malt would have done ye better... no carbs... plus you dont have to get up and keep mixing em...
just let the bottle kiss your lips...

really sorry to hear about your computer problems... hope they get rectified easily.

regarding your hair when i was in high school we used a trick when overly aggresive barbers made their attack. you stand in front of the mirror pulling on the hair ever so gently and chat "grow damit grow" "grow damit grow" "grow damit grow" if you do this every day for a few weeks (couple months top) it will be back in no time... thumbs_up.gif

--------------------
jim

www.greyaengus.com

"If I say something that can be interpreted in two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant it the other way."

often in error, never in doubt.

if guns kill people then my pencil mis-spells words
quote: larry the cable guy

sometimes what ya think ya want
isnt what ya thought ya wanted
till ya get what ya thought ya wanted
and then what ya had is gone....
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Aaediwen 
Posted: 31-May-2006, 06:36 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacHolly

male

I've managed to restore my Internet connection. Still need to re-install the system on my server, as the drive it was running from completely died. Even Linux has a hard time surviving a complete hardware failure. But at least I can take my time with it now.
CelticRadio 
Posted: 31-May-2006, 06:44 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
ZodiacOak

Realm: Toronto, CAN

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #74
251,108 Gold!

I wonder what happened and why did your they shut you off for abuse? Was it a hack attack!

That is too funny about your hair - - I had the same thing happen to me 2 weeks ago and I am still waiting for it to grow!!! unsure.gif

--------------------
Celtic Radio DJ
http://www.CelticRadio.net
Celtic Radio Music Network
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.View my Linked-In Profile.View my Google plus Profile.View my Twitter Profile.View My Space Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
Madadh 
Posted: 01-Jun-2006, 03:54 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacReed

Realm: Fort Worth Texas

male

Several Years ago my lovely barber cut my hair rather short. So I went out and bought a Jeep and have found that it is much easier to have short hair when the top is down.

As to my lovely barber, this year we will be celebrating our 27th anniversary.....She still cuts my hair short, but the fringe benefits are worth it biggrin.gif

Sorry Aaediwen about the hard drive. Have had that happen more often than I care to admit. Once you get the system back up and running, look into one of the new USB external hard drives. You can get them rather large (150 to 200 GB) and a simple backup program makes recovery easy. For Linux I like Mondo Rescue (www.mondorescue.org). It will allow you to backup your system to disk and then restore the system.

--------------------
-----------------------
Céad Mile Fáilte

May God hold you in the hallows of his hands

American First, Irish Always

user posted image
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
Aaediwen 
Posted: 01-Jun-2006, 06:05 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacHolly

male

Well, everything should be back in line shortly. Everything should be set, and I'm just waiting for DNS to sync up. Still need to run a multitude of updates though. Probably be easier to just get another hard drive and re-install. At least everything is in place though in the meantime.
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]