Fionnuala 
Posted: 01-Oct-2003, 10:24 AM
Quote Post

Peasant

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacWillow

Realm: Ohio

female

Has anyone here heard of and more importantly played the game Fidchell (Fidchneil) ? It's mentioned in Celtic Mythology as being played by Lugh and his cronies.

Also, according to info found on the net (and I can't vouch for it's authenticity) there was a time when Irish law required that this game be taught to all foster sons as well as it being required that hospitallers have one set of the game for every five quests (though it's a two person game).

I'd love to hear about any experience playing this game or any other info that someone out there may have about it.

cheers,

Laura

--------------------

~Fionnuala~

Bíonn dhá insint ar scéal agus dhá leagan déag ar amhrán!

There are two sides to every story & (at least) twelve versions of every song!
PMEmail Poster               
RavenWing 
Posted: 01-Oct-2003, 10:45 AM
Quote Post

Dorkus Trollus Maximus

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Indiana, USA

female

I moved this over here because the mythology is dicussed more around these parts of the board. Chances are you will have a better chance of having your question answered here.

Later!
Mary

--------------------
May all your up's and down's be under the sheets!

Religion is for those who are afraid of going to Hell. Spirituality is for those who have already been there.
- Anonymous
PMEmail Poster               
barddas 
Posted: 08-Oct-2003, 10:39 AM
Quote Post

Offical sacrifice to the guitar gods-Play til you bleed

ZodiacWillow

Realm: second star to the right, straight until morning

male

I found this on the net...

Excerpted from our article "Lost Celtic Games" to be published in the Renaissance Magazine in 2001.

Although rules specific to Fidchell have never been found, most scholars agree that the Ballinderry artifact is most likely a variation on a Viking "Tafl," or "Hnefatafl game." These games were played by Norse cultures as early as 400 A.D., and seem to have been the primary strategy games in Northern Europe until the introduction of Chess. Examples of these game boards have been found with grids varying from 7, 9, 11, or even 19 spaces on a side.

The rules for Tafl games have come to us from a pair sources. A game called Tablut was recorded in the diary of Swedish botanist Linnaeus in 1732. He found the game being played by Alpine Lapplanders, and recorded the set-up and a description of the rules. An even earlier description of Hnefatafl survives in an English manuscript from the reign of King Athelstan (A.D. 925-40). It includes a diagram of a board, the starting positions on a 19 X 19 grid and at least partial rules for the game.

Unlike Chess, or Checkers which are fought by armies from opposite sides of the board, Tafl games involve a single king and his defenders in the center of the board surrounded by an army of attackers twice their number. The basic rules are that the defender starts with the king in the very center of the board and defended by his pawns, or guards. The defender wins if the king is able to break the siege by escaping to the edge of the board (or to a corner hole in some variations). The attacking army wins by surrounding the king on four sides to capture him. All of the pieces move any number of spaces left, or right, or up, or down, in the same manner as a rook in Chess. "Pawns" may be captured by trapping them between two of your own pieces.

This information is provided as a service, feel free to use it for educational purposes.
However, reprinting it for commercial purposes without prior authorization is a violation of the "fair use" principals of U.S. Copyright laws.

Fionnuala, I own the Viking Game. Just give me a call and we'll get together and play .... thumbs_up.gif

This post has been edited by barddas on 08-Oct-2003, 10:40 AM

--------------------
BARDDAS BLOG/WEB SITE

Co Founder/Member of the KDC

Music is holy, art is sacred, and creativity is power

Everyday is EARTH DAY to a farmer

"Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much."
Oscar Wilde

Some men are drawn to oceans, they cannot breathe unless the air is scented with a salty mist. Others are drawn to land that is flat, and the air is sullen and is leaden as August. My people were drawn to mountains- Earl Hamner Jr.

PMEmail Poster                
Kahlandria 
Posted: 14-Nov-2003, 02:40 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacElder

female

rolleyes.gif Hey, I read this book called The Watcher, by Margaret Buffie. They play fidchell in it, and theres also a character called Lugh. This game sounds really cool. The book is truly amazing as well, i've read at least eight times. Does anyone know if Fidchell is the same game as in the book? Also do you know were i could possibly find this game to buy? Thanks.

P.S. All you guys should really read The Watcher, it may be slightly weird at the beginning, but trust me it's worth it.

--------------------
Never talk down to somebody, unless you're helping them up

PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]