Posted: 16-Jul-2004, 06:20 PM
Quote Post

Wanderer and Vagabond

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacVine

Realm: Wytheville, Virginia

male

Hello everyone!

I was asked on another thread for some advice on selecting a good Scottish Gaelic dictionary. Well, I will tell you about the dictionaries I have and what I think of them. I will rate them at the end of each description with * being bad up to ***** being best.

For Beginners:

1) Scottish Gaelic by R. W. Renton and J. A. MacDonald
Advantages:
This dictionary is small and compact. You could carry it in your shirt pocket. For this reason, it would also be great for intermediate/advanced students who are travelling and and just want a small dictionary to carry around with them!
It is both Gaelic to English and English to Gaelic.
Contains many modern and up-to-date words.
It is relativley inexpensive. (Around $8.95 when I bought mine)
It is commonly available in the US. I found mine in a local book store!
Disadvantages:
Because of its small size there aren't as many words as in the larger dictionaries, but for a beginner I would say it is probably the best bargain
Rating: ***

2) Gaelic-English English Gaelic Dictionary by Dougal Buchanan
Released in Europe under the title Abair!
Advantages and Disadvantages: Same as dictionary 1) above, but slightly thicker and slightly more expensive (around $12.95)
Rating: ***

For Intermediate Students:

3) The Modern Gaelic-English Dictionary by Robert C. Owen
Advantages:
Contains more words than dictionaries 1) and 2) above, but still relatively small.
Gives a pronunciation guide for each word which is very good!
The index in the back of this book which shows tenses for all of the irregular verbs is worth the price of the book alone!
Still relatively inexpensive (though more than dicitonaries 1) and 2) above). Around 7.95 British pounds (not sure what that translates to in US dollars - probably around $15-25)
Disadvantges:
Not commonly available in the US. Has to be special ordered.
It is only Gaelic to English. However it was to desgned to be used as part of a set with 4) below
Rating: ****

4) The New English-Gaelic Dictionary by Derick S. Thomson
Advantages:
Contains more words than the first two dictionaries, but still relatively small.
Still relatively inexpensive. I can't remember how much it cost but I believe it is about the same as 3) above
Probably the most complete and up-to-date English to Gaelic dictionary available (at least until the new Angus Watson E-to-G dictionary comes out)
Disadvantges:
It is only English to Gaelic. However it was to desgned to be used as part of a set with 3) above.
Rating: ****

5) The Essential Gaelic-English Dictionary by Angus Watson
Advantages:
Contains many modern and up-to-date words. Pretty thorough. An excellent dictionary
Disadvantges:
This is a large hardbound book.
Expensive. Can't remember how much, but I'm thinking in the $25-$35 range.
It is only Gaelic to English. However it was to desgned to be used as part of a set with Angus Watson's new English to Gaelic dictionary which is set to be released sometime this year (I CAN'T WAIT TO GET MY GRUBBY LITTLE PAWS ON THIS ONE!)
Rating: *****

For Advanced/Expert Students or Fluent Speakers:

6) The Gaelic-English Dictionary by Colin Mark
Advantages:
Contains many modern and up-to-date words. Pretty thorough. An excellent dictionary
Disadvantges:
This is a large, thick book.
Expensive. Can't remember how much, but I'm thinking in the $35-$45 range.
It is only Gaelic to English. However it is probably one of the best dictionaries available today in my humble opinion.

7) Dwelly's Illustrated Gaelic to English Dictionary by Edward Dwelly
Advantages:
Probably one of the most extensive dictionaries available. However it was compiled around 1901-1911, so there aren't many modern words.
Disadvantges:
It is cram-packed with so much information that the print is pretty small and hard to read.
Expensive. Can't remember how much, but I'm thinking in the $35-$50 range.
It is only Gaelic to English. However in my humble opinion no Gaelic student's reference library would be complete without it. Definitely get this one if your intentions are to become fluent, but my advice would be to wait and get it later.
Rating: ***.5

8) A Pronouncing and Etymological Dictionary of the Gaelic Language by Malcolm MacLennan
Advantages:
It is both Gaelic-English and English-Gaelic
Disadvantges:
This dictionary was first printed around 1925, so there aren't many modern words.
Expensive. Can't remember how much, but I'm thinking in the $30-$40 range.
It attempts to give pronunciation keys for the words, but for what dialect I don't know because these keys are incomprehensible to me!
Of all the dictionaries I own, this and 9) are the least used in my Gaelic reference library. I can truly say that I wish I had not bought it.
Rating: *

In a category all its own:

9) Faclair Na Pàrlamaid - Dictionary of Terms
This dictionary deserves to be in a category all its own. When Scotland finally got its own Parliament, they discovered there weren't enough words in the Scottish Gaelic language to cover all of the topics Parliament would need to discuss for governmental issues, so this dictionary was compiled to serve as a reference book for that body. It is, for that reason, very modern, but it is also limited in scope and usefulness since it only covers topics that would come up in Parliament. Though I don't use this one much, it has the distinct advantage of being FREE! All you have to do to receive your copy of this dictionary is send an e-mail request to this address:
[email protected]
Don't forget to include your name and mailing address in the e-mail!
This dictionary can be viewed in pdf format at the following address:
http://www.scotland.gov.uk/dictionary/_bin/
Rating: **

Dictionaries To Watch For:

I recently heard that the people who publish the Teach Yourself language books are getting ready to put out a Scottish Gaelic dictionary to accompany their popular Teach Yourself Gaelic book! I think this is a good idea, since the Vocabulary Key in the back of their book is so crummy. I think this book will also have some advantages: I would say it will be commonly available in the US since the TYG book is. Also I would say it will most likely be very affordable, probably around $14.95 like the TYG book iteslf. Also according to a review I read, it also promises to be Gaelic-English AND English-Gaelic! I will DEFINITELY be watching for this one!

To Order:

If you want to order some of these books, I commonly buy mine from Sìol Cultural Enterprises out of Canada. Their address is http://gaelicbooks.com/
Tell Trueman Matheson, the owner, that Allen Alderman/WizardofOwls sent ya! smile.gif
If anyone knows of other good sites for obtaining Gaelic books, please post those here also!

I hope that this information has been of some use to you! Please let me know what you think! I would love to hear your comments/feedback/opinions on this!

If anyone else has any of these books and would like to comment on them please feel free to do so! Please don't be afraid to disagree with me! These are only my opinions, and I may not be in the majority of opinion on them! I am not by any means an expert on the topic!

Also, I have only talked about those dictionaries that I currently have in my Gaelic personal reference library. I do not, by any means, have every Gaelic dictionary available! If anyone has any information conerning additional dictionaries, please feel free to post it here! I would love to read about them as I am always in the market for other dictionaries!

This post has been edited by WizardofOwls on 08-Apr-2005, 08:20 PM

--------------------
Slàn agus beannachd,
Allen R. Alderman

'S i Alba tìr mo chridhe. 'S i Gàidhlig cànan m' anama.
Scotland is the land of my heart. Gaelic is the language of my soul.
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
WizardofOwls 
Posted: 17-Jul-2004, 03:45 AM
Quote Post

Wanderer and Vagabond

ZodiacVine

male

BTW Here is a link to some info on the new Teach Yourself Gaelic Dictionary if anyone is interested!

http://www.teachyourself.co.uk/lgaelicDi.htm
Skyclad Awen 
Posted: 22-Sep-2004, 09:52 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacBirch

female

Sorry I took so long to respond to this excellent post. Thanks so much W. of O. I can hardly wait to start learning so I can say something naughty in Gaelic lol.
PMEmail Poster               
stoirmeil 
Posted: 07-Nov-2004, 08:18 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: New York

Sorry if this has been posted before somewhere and I'm being redundant. This is MacBain's Etymological Dictionary, online. I get lost in it for hours sometimes.
http://www.ceantar.org/Dicts/MB2/index.html
PMEmail Poster               
WizardofOwls 
Posted: 04-Jan-2005, 10:21 AM
Quote Post

Wanderer and Vagabond

ZodiacVine

male

QUOTE (WizardofOwls @ 16-Jul-2004, 08:20 PM)
Dictionaries To Watch For:

I recently heard that the people who publish the Teach Yourself language books are getting ready to put out a Scottish Gaelic dictionary to accompany their popular Teach Yourself Gaelic book! I think this is a good idea, since the Vocabulary Key in the back of their book is so crummy. I think this book will also have some advantages: I would say it will be commonly available in the US since the TYG book is. Also I would say it will most likely be very affordable, probably around $14.95 like the TYG book iteslf. Also according to a review I read, it also promises to be Gaelic-English AND English-Gaelic! I will DEFINITELY be watching for this one!

I just wanted to update this.

I got the TYG dictionary and I was blown away! It has quickly become my favorite and most used Gaelic dictionary! It is Gaelic-English/English-Gaelic, has over 24,000 entries, is about the same size as the TYG book so it is pretty compact and portable, and is completely modern and up-to-date. I still have not seen it in our local bookstores yet. I had to order mine from Britain at about $24.00 including shipping and handling. I highly recommend it for anyone intereseted in learning Scottish Gaelic. It is well-worth the monetary investment!

This post has been edited by WizardofOwls on 08-Apr-2005, 08:24 PM
MacPhee 
Posted: 04-Jan-2005, 11:19 AM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacAlder

male

Hello.

Does anyone knows if there's a dictionary that contains almost all Gàidhlig words?
Because i use 3 online dictionary and i have two "paper back" S.Gaelic ditionary's but i allways have to use them all. Even sometimes i dont find words that i find in messages that others send me. unsure.gif

Would be very usefull. Thanks. smile.gif

MacPhee
PMEmail Poster               
WizardofOwls 
Posted: 04-Jan-2005, 11:24 AM
Quote Post

Wanderer and Vagabond

ZodiacVine

male

Hi there, MacPhee!

I have bad news and good news. The bad news is that there is no all-encompassing Gaelic dictionary. Gaelic was supressed for so long and for a long time there was NO Gaelic allowed in print. Only within the last century or so ahs Galic begun to fight back.

The good news is that there are several ggod dictionaries availble. If you want a dictionary that has the most words, go with Dwelly (see above). As I said there, thoguh Dwelly is old, so you won't find many modern words. The other best offering would be Colin Mark (also see aboe).

Good luck!
WizardofOwls 
Posted: 29-Jan-2005, 10:51 PM
Quote Post

Wanderer and Vagabond

ZodiacVine

male

QUOTE (WizardofOwls @ 16-Jul-2004, 08:20 PM)
5) The Essential Gaelic-English Dictionary by Angus Watson
Advantages:
Disadvantges:
This is a large hardbound book.
Expensive. Can't remember how much, but I'm thinking in the $25-$35 range.
It is only Gaelic to English. However it was to desgned to be used as part of a set with Angus Watson's new English to Gaelic dictionary which is set to be released sometime this year (I CAN'T WAIT TO GET MY GRUBBY LITTLE PAWS ON THIS ONE!)

Here is another update to this thread. It appears that the English-Gaelic companion to Angus Watson's excellent Gaelic-English dictionary will be coming out in September 2005! Here is a link for anyone who is interested in reading more about it:

http://www.interlinkbooks.com/BooksE/engli...ish-Gaelic.html

I am always looking out for new reference books to fill out my Gaelic reference library. Since I thoroughly enjoyed Mr. Watson's first dictionary, I will be getting this one too. If it is as good as his Gaelic-English dictionary (and I see no reason why it wouldn't be) it will be a worth-while addition to any Gaelic learner's library!

This post has been edited by WizardofOwls on 08-Apr-2005, 08:25 PM
Dalriada Dancer 
Posted: 23-Jun-2005, 06:43 AM
Quote Post

Servant

ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: Ontario, Canada

female

Is there an actual online translator that can give you the Gaelic version of a phrase? I know that there are a few that will give you a single word, but I find that there are sometimes more than one meaning for a word, in either language. book.gif

--------------------
Dulcius ex Asperis
PMEmail Poster                
WizardofOwls 
Posted: 23-Jun-2005, 07:02 PM
Quote Post

Wanderer and Vagabond

ZodiacVine

male

Not that I know of... but that doesn't mean that there ISN'T one! smile.gif Just that I'm not aware of one. Perhaps someone else knows of one?
bradan 
Posted: 17-Feb-2008, 02:13 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Alba

Try this:

http://www.akerbeltz.org/faclair/rannsachadh.php

And Angus Watson's English-Gaelic hardback dict. has now been available for some time.
It's not as thorough as the Gaelic-German one, but well worth having. The two together are an excellent resource.

I would also recommend Colin Mark for thoroughness, though the examples can be very literary, and are chosen somewhat randomly (eg sometimes several examples of the same usage, none of another one - inevitaby the one you want).

And for everyday usefulness, you can't beat the TYG paperback one.

If you only buy one dictionary, and are not already very advanced, buy that one.

(I'm in the UK, so can get these books easily, but I imagine yo can get most of them online now.)

--------------------
Thèid mi leis na siùil-mhara
PMEmail Poster               
GunChleoc 
Posted: 18-Feb-2008, 02:20 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Roinn-Eorpa

Yep, they've got them all at Comhairle nan Leabhraichean

--------------------
'S e saoghal a th' anns gach cànan
Fòram na Gàidhlig
PMEmail Poster               
Sìmeag 
  Posted: 26-Feb-2009, 03:05 PM
Quote Post

Chieftain of the Clan

ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: Sassan

female

Dwelly's Dictionary is now available online at Dwelly-D.

--------------------
Tha mi'n dochas gu bheil an eadar theangachadh ceart!
PMEmail Poster               
Harlot 
Posted: 26-Feb-2009, 03:21 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Southern Michiagn USA

female

Boy I was looking just the other night on line for a dictionary either on line or though ordering one,so thanks everyone for all of the post they have helped a lot.

Simeag, I checked the one recommend do like this one better then the one I did find so thank you.

--------------------
user posted image
Hopes are towers in the skies Dreams are wings taking flight

The Boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best Shadowy and vague. Who shall say where one ends and the other begins

Photobucket

SLAINTE
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
GunChleoc 
Posted: 27-Feb-2009, 02:54 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Roinn-Eorpa

The great thing about the online version is that you can search it both ways. The original book is Gaelic to English only. It is full of pictures though which you don't get online (yet)
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]