Balachasen 
Posted: 02-Oct-2004, 06:54 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

male

Slainte mhath Elspeth,

I have Maclennan ancestry on my mother's side from Tyneside, originally from Kintail, Highlands.
Tyneside was a common place for Maclennan women to meet up with their fisherman husbands who had left Kintail on fishing trips.

Mar sin leat,

Balachasen
Raff Dellavaris
PMEmail Poster               
Annham 
Posted: 04-Oct-2004, 10:07 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHazel

female

Well, I don't have a "clan" yet... My names are Hoy... and Hannen or Hannon...
But I really don't know what areas they came from... and don't have time to try to find out. I do have a book about the Hannon/Hannen/Hennen's in US if anyone is connected with them... would be glad to try to look them up.
Anne angel_not.gif

--------------------
“This is my simple religion. There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness.”

~ Dalai Lama
21st century spiritual and political leader of Tibet and Nobel Peace Prize winner (1989)
PMEmail Poster               
cori 
Posted: 23-Oct-2004, 02:52 PM
Quote Post

Mistress of the North Winds
Group Icon

Group: Galicia
ZodiacIvy

Realm: New Jersey

female

How does a person know which clan they are affiliated with? I looked on tartans.com, but without having a list or something to start with, how can I find it?

--------------------

Leslie

~That would be an awfully big adventure.

~Time is what keeps everything from happening all at once.
PMEmail Poster                
cori 
Posted: 24-Oct-2004, 03:44 PM
Quote Post

Mistress of the North Winds
Group Icon

Group: Galicia
ZodiacIvy

Realm: New Jersey

female

Well, I found that every time I search my surname it comes up with the clan McTavish. Does this mean that is the one I am conneted to? Also, the tartan they showed me looks nothing like the one I wear. Are there more than just one for each name? Is there a difference between an Irish clan and a Scottish clan or are they related?

Once I find the correct tartan/plaid, where can I purchase enough to make a garment?
PMEmail Poster                
AShruleEgan 
Posted: 26-Oct-2004, 08:09 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacRowan

Realm: Winston-Salem, North Carolina

male

QUOTE (cori @ 24-Oct-2004, 05:44 PM)
Well, I found that every time I search my surname it comes up with the clan McTavish. Does this mean that is the one I am conneted to? Also, the tartan they showed me looks nothing like the one I wear. Are there more than just one for each name? Is there a difference between an Irish clan and a Scottish clan or are they related?

Once I find the correct tartan/plaid, where can I purchase enough to make a garment?

Leslie, if you are Irish, most likely, there won't be a tartan for your clan. Irish clans, don't have tartans. There are only county tartans for Ireland. Some Irish clans are now beginning to design tartans but there are very few.

Some Scottish folks on here can probably fill you in on the Scottish tartans much better than I can but I know there are some threads in the General Discussion area that may explain what you need to know. You may have to dig back a few pages to find them.

Once you feel confident that you have found the proper clan that you belong to, finding material won't be to difficult. You may have to order it from Scotland or England but there are some suppliers here in the U.S. Just do a search on Google.
PMEmail Poster               
Monarchs Own 
Posted: 10-Dec-2004, 07:11 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacElder

Realm: Phenix City, AL - back in the good ole USA

female

So far I found out that my husband is coming from his Greatgrandmothers (paternal) side from Scotland. The name is Bean which is supposed to be a member of Clan McBean. And the one we traced back from the Bean family was born in Invernesshire. So I guess my husband is now elgible to wear a clan tartan.

From his mother's side he is an Anderson. Since they landed here in the US in the New England states and Canada and my husband and his family are from there I am almost convinced that he is also affiliated with Clan Anderson but I still need to research there a lot more.

Myself I can't affiliate so far with any clan - being german and only related to the royal and noble houses there I doubt there will be any clan affiliation in any way.

But since my husband is also US Army and they came out with a the new US Army tartan that will be also a choice for him. I like the idea to get my husband in a kilt and hope he will be convinced to wear it. I guess I have to get him used to wear it at home first. LOL

angel_not.gif thumbs_up.gif

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
Aragorn 
Posted: 10-Dec-2004, 10:27 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Middle Earth

male

Clan Keith here need to do a bit more research to find my roots.

Attached Image. (Click thumbnail to expand)
Attached Image (Works with IE Only)

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us.
--Ralph Waldo Emerson

Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds you plant.
--Robert Louis Stevenson
PMEmail Poster               
PiperJR 
Posted: 26-Jan-2005, 08:24 PM
Quote Post

Peasant
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacIvy

male

Clan Ross. I am efforting to find my exact lineage before or trip to Scotland this summer. I would like to see if there are distant cousins there to visit while we are there.

Clans In Gaelic, ros means promontory -- the dominant feature of Easter Ross. From this, the ancient Celtic O'Beolain Earls of Ross and the people take their name. They are known in the Highlands as Clann Gille Aindrias, the children of Andrew...

The Clan Ross

* Arms: gules, three lions rampant Argent, armed and langued Azure
* Badge: A hand holding a garland of Juniper.
* Motto: Spem successus alit (Success nourishes hope)
* Tartans: Ross, Ross, hunting, Ross, dress.
* Plant Badge: Juniper
* Septs: Anderson Andison Andrew/s Corbet/t Crow/e Croy Denoon Denune Dingwall Duthie Fair Gair Gear Gillanders Hagart Haggart MacAndrew MacCullie MacCulloch MacLullich MacTaggart MacTear MacTier MacTire Taggart Tullo Tulloch Tyre Vass Wass

In Gaelic, ros means promontory -- the dominant feature of Easter Ross. From this, the ancient Celtic O'Beolain Earls of Ross and the people take their name. They are known in the Highlands as Clann Gille Aindrias, the children of Andrew.

Sir Farquhar Mac an t-Sagairt (son of the priest), hereditary Abbot of Applecross, was made first Earl of Ross in 1235 by King Alexander II, for military services. William, third Earl, led the men of Ross and Sutherland at Bannockburn in 1314 under Robert the Bruce. He signed the Declaration of Arbroath in 1320, marking independence from England. Hugh, fourth Earl, died leading the Scots army at Halidon Hill in 1333. As punishment for not supporting King David II, the fifth Earl Williams's lands and title passed in 1372 to Sir Walter Leslie and then, through the female line of the Countesses of Ross, to the Lords of the Isle. John, tenth Earl and fourth Lord of the Isles, forfeited the Earldom to the Scottish crown in 1476, after conviction for treason.

Hugh of Rarichies took the surname Ross, after the county, in 1357. Upon the death of his half-brother, the fifth Earl William, in 1372 he became first Chief of Clan Ross and first Laird/Baron of Balnagowan. For over three centuries the Rosses of Balnagowan passed the title from father to son. The twelfth Laird, David, incurred considerable debt raising a regiment of clansmen in support of Charles II. Taken prisoner at the Battle of Worcester in 1651, he died in the Tower of London. The thirteenth Chief and Laird of Balnagowan, David, died childless and in debt in 1711. The estate and titles were purchased by Frances Stewart, then by the Rosses of Hawkbead (an unrelated Lowland family descended from the Norman de Ros) and on to the Lockhart Rosses.

In 1903, Miss Sarah Williamson Ross of Pitcalnie, descended from the Celtic O'Beolain Earls, was recognized by the Lord Lyon as Chief. Her sister, Miss Rosa Ross, succeeded in 1957 until her death in 1968. The Chiefship and arms then transferred to the House of Shandwick, also descended from the Earls of Ross, with David Campbell Ross of Ross as twenty-ninth Chief of the Clan.
PMEmail Poster               
nightbird 
Posted: 27-Jan-2005, 12:12 AM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacHolly

Realm: West Chester, PA.

male

I'm affiliated with the Scottish Clan Murray. My family is based in Milford, Connecticut. If anyone has any info on the Murray Clan, it would be greatly appreciated...

PMEmail Poster                
Avonlea22 
Posted: 27-Jan-2005, 06:06 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

Realm: Elizabethtown, PA

male

QUOTE (cori @ 23-Oct-2004, 03:52 PM)
How does a person know which clan they are affiliated with? I looked on tartans.com, but without having a list or something to start with, how can I find it?

cori - try Clan Finder.

--------------------
le gach dea-mhéin
~Brian
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
Shamalama 
Posted: 28-Jan-2005, 11:05 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Conyers, GA

male

Hail, Brother PiperJR! Clan McCullough (Mac Cullaich) is a recognized sept of the mighty Ross Clan.

--------------------

Clan Mac Cullaich:
- Brewed in Scotland
- Bottled in Ulster
- Uncorked in America

Common Folk Using Common Sense
PMEmail Poster               
Colin 
Posted: 28-Jan-2005, 02:09 PM
Quote Post

Servant

ZodiacReed

male

I am affiliated with many Scottish Clans. On my mother's side I have MacKenzie, MacKay, Ross, Matheson, and MacLeod. On my father's side I have Wood (sept of Wtson, which is a sept of Buchanan), Douglas, and some Stewart.

I am a member of the Clan MacKenzie Society Canadian Chapter. I could list all that I have learned about one of my clans, but it would fill up pages and pages.

As for the Wood side of the family I have found out some interesting stuff. For example, the Wood branch that I am from was linked to the Harrods of Harrods Department store (still waiting for my share of the buy out deal?! rolleyes.gif ). Electric Scotland offers this for the Wood Clan
The name Wood was previously given as de Bosco? a Norman name.
In the mid 15th century Andrew Wood was employed by James III to protect the Scottish trade with Holland.

In 1481 he defended Dumbarton against a fleet of Edward IV of England. James III granted him lands at Largo and bestowed a Knighthood upon him.

During the battle of Sauchieburn Andrews ships sailed up and down the Forth taking on board the wounded. Sir Andrew was the greatest seafarer of his time.

In 1488 and in 1490 he destroyed English fleets sent to attack the Scottish fleet. After the battle of Flodden he was sent to France to invite the Duke of Albany to assume the regency of Scotland.

Check out this source for some great Clan information:
http://www.electricscotland.com/webclans/index.html

--------------------
Happily Celtic, Proudly Canadian
LUCEO NON URO
PMEmail Poster               
Gordon 
Posted: 30-Jan-2005, 10:54 AM
Quote Post

Chieftain of the Clan

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Texas

male

QUOTE (nightbird @ 27-Jan-2005, 01:12 AM)
I'm affiliated with the Scottish Clan Murray. My family is based in Milford, Connecticut. If anyone has any info on the Murray Clan, it would be greatly appreciated...

Nightbird,
Your family is from my area! I was born and raised in Milford and only moved to Texas when I was 26.
As for info on the Murray clan, check out Official Clan Murray North America Website. The site contains contact info, upcoming events, and other pertinent facts. A possibility they may have, is help in tracing lineage. My clan has a genealogist who gathers info on new members and places it within the clan. They also offer help, at a fee naturally, to members who wish help in researching. I realize it may not be much, but if your anything like most of us who are doing the research, any leads are always a help. Hope this is one that will prove fruitful.

--------------------
Lay you down in green meadows amongst the heather for it is there the music calls to your soul and beckons you home.
PMEmail Poster               
gwenlee 
Posted: 19-Feb-2005, 01:01 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacAlder

female

I'm a member of Ross Clan Assoc USA. When you join they request you send your geneology to them. The organization has someone who stores the information. On the site there is also a message board for those doing research. I have found several distant cousins on this site.

Like a lot of people I am eligible to be a member a several clans. I am a Ross/Macdougall from my mother's side and Donnachaidh/Lamont from my fathers side. I'm most active with Clan Donnachaidh.
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
maggiemahone1 
Posted: 19-Feb-2005, 04:15 PM
Quote Post

High Queen of Ireland

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Southern West Virginia

female

QUOTE (gwenlee @ 19-Feb-2005, 12:01 PM)
I'm a member of Ross Clan Assoc USA. When you join they request you send your geneology to them. The organization has someone who stores the information. On the site there is also a message board for those doing research. I have found several distant cousins on this site.

Like a lot of people I am eligible to be a member a several clans. I am a Ross/Macdougall from my mother's side and Donnachaidh/Lamont from my fathers side. I'm most active with Clan Donnachaidh.

Here is a little info I have gathered on my husband's ancestry.

Duncan, This Scottish Clan is descended from the earls of Athol and took their name from the chief Donnachadh Reamhar "Fat Duncan", who led the Clan at the battle of Bannockburn. They possesed lands in Forfarshire. Sir William Duncan was created a Baronet by George III in 1764, but the title became extinct on his death in 1774. Adam son of Alexander, Duncan became commander of the fleet in the north sea and Admiral of the Blue. One of his great victories was gained at Camperdown and for his services he was created Viscount Duncan of Camperdown by George IV in 1800.

maggiemahone1
PMEmail Poster                View My Space Profile.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]