Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Desktop Linux, Are penguins in your future?

Are you or will you use Linux as your desktop OS?
I currently use it. [ 6 ]  [60.00%]
Would like to, but no current plans to. [ 3 ]  [30.00%]
It's being planned for use at work. [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
No, never will. [ 1 ]  [10.00%]
Total Votes: 10
Guests cannot vote 
tsargent62 
Posted on 04-May-2004, 09:22 AM
Quote Post

Lord Socknoggle

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

Realm: Lake Orion, Michigan

male

Red Hat Linux announced it will be marketing a desktop version of Red Hat Linux. This is a reversal for them since a few months ago they started pushing Red Hat Enterprise and stopped with Red Hat Personal and Professional.

I would love to quit using Microsoft products altogether. How about you?

--------------------

Cheers!
Todd

Normal is a relative term. For some reason it is not a term my relatives use to describe me.

PMEmail Poster               
Madadh 
Posted on 04-May-2004, 09:43 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacReed

Realm: Fort Worth Texas

male

I currently use Linux for my home system.

--------------------
-----------------------
Céad Mile Fáilte

May God hold you in the hallows of his hands

American First, Irish Always

user posted image
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
CelticRadio 
Posted on 04-May-2004, 08:57 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
ZodiacOak

Realm: Toronto, CAN

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #74
238,629 Gold!

I use linux for the CelticRadio.net webserver and the database server. I tried, foolishly, to use Microsoft IIS webserver and I nearly had a heart attack. The darn thing would bomb out all the time and it was super slow.

Having experimented with some of the desktop apps included with Redhat 9.0, I would say that linux can only get better. I think eventually Microsoft will need to worry about linux. It is stable, secure and fast. If the open source guru's can make it a little easier for the common desktop users and get native support for video cards then I think it will start gaining in the percentage of users desktops.

One big thing that could push linux into the forefront would be better gaming support. Games would run silky smooth on a linux machine.

--------------------
Celtic Radio DJ
http://www.CelticRadio.net
Celtic Radio Music Network
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.View my Linked-In Profile.View my Google plus Profile.View my Twitter Profile.View My Space Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
Danann 
Posted on 05-May-2004, 08:36 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Alabama

female

I have such a hodge podge. At home, since that's where I do a lot of graphic arts, I have my windows supped up machine with 1 gig memory and a 120gig hd, at work I have a piece of pooh.gif compaq laptop that I do my admin and general work from remotely to my UNIX machines (3) running Solaris 9, and then right beside me in my cube is my baby! ReHat Linux box that I do some web development on... my php box... although I am going overkill and running a webserver from a SUN ultra 60... but hey MORE POWER!!

--------------------
So, I have an new site that is pretty neat, Check out Dannah's Home Page

Also, for original storys or thoughts from me, check out my blog: Dannah's Blog
PMEmail Poster               
tsargent62 
Posted on 05-May-2004, 09:13 AM
Quote Post

Lord Socknoggle

ZodiacBirch

male

More work needs to be done on supporting wireless network cards. I loaded RH 9 on my laptop and it doesn't even see the card. SuSE doesn't see it, either. I had to reload my machine, so the Linux partition got wiped out (was dual booting XP and Linux) I haven't tried it in a while. Maybe the drivers are out there now.
PMEmail Poster               
gtrplr 
Posted on 05-May-2004, 02:12 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Nashville, TN

male

I've used Linux (RedHat 8.0) on my family PC since Jan. '03. The only complaint is from my youngest stepson, who can't run some of his games. Since he has a playstation, he doesn't miss them much. The system is stable and does everything the family needs, such as email, web, IM, etc.

I currently work for a Linux consultancy specializing in VoIP and VPN. We use Linux and Open Source software almost exclusively. My work PC (where I'm typing this from rolleyes.gif ) is running Mandrake 9.1. I also have a another PC with Mandrake 10.0 installed. It's great. I won't say that I don't occasionally have problems, but they're minor compared to Windoze.

No blue screen, no virus problems, no reason to run Microsoft.

--------------------
Randal Smith alias Smitty the Kid
Wielder of the Six-String Claymore!

"We have enough Youth, how about a Fountain of Smart?"
"When the going gets tough, the smart go fishing!"

PMEmail Poster               
Aaediwen 
Posted on 05-May-2004, 03:17 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Kentucky

male

LFS 4.0+ on my main box, Windows 2k is installed for gaming, but rarely gets loaded. And since UT and Quake run in Linux, and that's most of what I've gotten into game wise recently, all the less reason. I would like to experiment though, with more 3d modellers. I'm surprised more of those don't seem to be avaliable for Linux. I used Blender for my first practical experiment. It works, but am I just missing something or does it not have the power of Maya or Lightwave? Wouldn't surprise me if the power wasn't there, all things considered.

I agree though, Although I use Linux for my workstations and my server, and I wouldn't go back, I am not yet convinced that it's ready for average Joe's desktop. When package A, needs B, needs C, etc.... As for configuration, there are some nifty tools for that:

linuxconf
netconf
Xconfigurator

It has come a long way toward the desktop user platform since I've been using it, and I believe that it would be perfect for work environments where a tech admins the box but average Joes are the actual users. It can be made to look enough like Windows for them to be comfortable, it's different enough so they don't know how to install software, and you're not running the virus magnet of Outlook/Windows, so all though you still don't want users opening strange mails, it's not as likely to be as big an issue of they do.

IMHO, however, if you're running a server with a GUI, then unless it's an application server or something, you need to be shot. (the tarballs for X windows aren't even present on Rhiannon)

--------------------
Poet and seeker of knowledge

PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
Angel Whitefang (Rider) 
Posted on 05-May-2004, 07:24 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacRowan

Realm: Portland, Oregon

female

WOW! Linux sounds great! is there a website that I can check this out?
Hubby is a die hard MS user and I hate it.

angel.gif
PMEmail Poster                
Madadh 
Posted on 06-May-2004, 04:06 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacReed

Realm: Fort Worth Texas

male

tsargent62,

You need to look at a configuration program called iwconfig. The best method is to look up the wireless howto and go from there. Unlike XP puke.gif Linux requires you to make a consious decission to install wireless. The howto should help get everything working.
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
Aaediwen 
Posted on 06-May-2004, 06:25 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Kentucky

male

Angel:
google for RedHat or Mandrake
also, the Linux Documentation Project www.ldp.org
I mention those distros because they seem to be the most popular for beginners, new to the Operating system. Other popular packages to check out are Debian, and Slackware. they aren't quite as dressed up and pretty as RH and Mandrake, but still pretty good from what I've heard.

You should be able to find .iso images of any of these online that you can legally download, burn to a CD, and install from.
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
tsargent62 
Posted on 06-May-2004, 07:31 AM
Quote Post

Lord Socknoggle

ZodiacBirch

male

SuSE is pretty decent for beginners as well. It's very easy to install and configure. Doesn't run well on my laptop, though. Couldn't get the screen resolution quite right.
PMEmail Poster               
tsargent62 
Posted on 06-May-2004, 07:36 AM
Quote Post

Lord Socknoggle

ZodiacBirch

male

Can anyone suggest any open source antivirus products for Linux? I'm of the opinion that with Linux spreading in use that viruses will start popping up. I'd like to be able to protect myself before this starts happening.
PMEmail Poster               
gtrplr 
Posted on 06-May-2004, 02:37 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Nashville, TN

male

WOW! Linux sounds great! is there a website that I can check this out?
Hubby is a die hard MS user and I hate it.

Welcome to the "I hate MS" club! You're in good company. There's a very easy way to check out Linux. One of the nifty features is: you can run it from the CD-ROM drive without installing it on your hard drive! Go to http://slax.linux-live.org and download the .iso which is an image of the operating system. Burn it to a CD. Please note that a normal drag and drop will not work with a .iso file. If you're using Nero or Easy CD Creator, they will have instructions in the help files to tell you how to do it properly. Once you have the image burned to a CD, put the CD in the drive and reboot your computer. It _should_ read the image from the CD and boot into Linux. I say should, because not all computers look for a CD when booting. If your computer boots into Windows anyway, you'll need to change the BIOS, which is beyond the scope of this message. Most of the time, it'll work just fine. It doesn't install anything on your hard drive and you can reboot your computer without the CD to get back into Windows. Some more websites to look at are:

linux.org
distrowatch.com
mandrake.com
redhat.com

Good luck and have fun. smilie_tux.gif
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]