Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Toad In The Hole, No, we don't eat toads...
Catriona 
Posted: 05-Sep-2003, 05:10 AM
Quote Post

Banned Member

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

As we say in Scotland, 'the nights are fair drawin' in'.... ie Autumn is upon us, and the nights are getting darker, earlier! Here's an Autumn/Winter dish, in anticipation!

TOAD IN THE HOLE

This is the name given to good old Bangers (sausages) cooked in a Yorkshire Pudding mixure. Although this is a traditional English dish, it was one that my Mum cooked for us and the whole family enjoyed it on colder days. I still enjoy it...

8-10 good quality, British-style linked sausages (I assume these will be available overseas, even if only through specialty shops!)

For the Yorkshire Pudding mix
100g plain flour
2 large eggs lightly beaten
300ml milk
Pinch of salt
2 tbsp of cooking oil

Yorkshire pudding
Sift the flour (add salt) into a large mixing bowl, make a 'well' in the flour and add the egg and a little of the milk and mix to a smooth paste.
Gradually whisk in the rest of the milk to give a smooth batter with the consistency of double cream. Allow this to stand until sausages are cooked. Little bubbles will form which means the Yorkshire pudding should 'rise' well!

Now....

Brown the sausages in a little hot oil for a few minutes on a high heat - the object is to brown them, not cook through. Traditionally, they were cooked in lard, but I find they cook just as well in sunflower oil.

Put the 2 tbsp oil in the dish, and when 'smoking', put the browned sausages evenly in the bottom of a shallow baking dish (lasagne one wold be suitable)

Quickly pour on the batter and return to the oven, cook for 30-40 minutes on a fairly high heat (I use Gas mark 7) until puffed up and golden brown.

Cut into squares. I like to serve this with an green vegetables, such as kale or Spring Greens and lovely new season carrots. No potatoes are necessary because the 'pudding' is quite filling enough!

I serve with an onion gravy (made by slowly caramelising 3 large sliced onions in a frying pan with a little oil, when they are nicely browned, add a pint of good stock and/or wine (one pint in total) reducing for about 15-20 mins and then thicken to taste with a little slaked cornflour)
PMEmail Poster               
Shadows 
Posted: 04-Jun-2005, 08:31 AM
Quote Post

Reader of souls, vision seeker, TROLL
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: The frontier of Penn's Woods

male

Here is the way I make it:

Toad-in-the-Hole

Toad-in-the-Hole used to be a very popular dish but seems to have fallen out of favour in recent years. Which is a shame, as it is a really tasty and substantial meal using link sausages and eggs.

Ingredients:
1/2 pound (250g) pork link sausages
3 ounces (90g or 3/4 cup) flour
10 fluid ounces (300ml or One and a quarter cups) milk
Two large eggs
4 ounces (125g or one stick or half cup) grated strong Cheddar cheese
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
Pinch of salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
Cooking oil
Method:
Preheat oven to 220C (425F or Gas Mark 7).
Using a 9-inch ovenproof skillet (or a deep-dish pie pan), heat the cooking oil. Add the sausages, rolling them in the oil and brown on all sides in oven (for about 20 minutes) or on top of stove, turning every 5 minutes.
Sift flour and a pinch of salt into a mixing bowl and stir in the grated cheese. In a smaller bowl, beat milk, eggs, and parsley, and season generously with salt and pepper. Stir a small amount of milk mixture into the flour to make a smooth, very heavy batter and let stand 5 minutes before stirring in remaining milk mixture.
There are different ways of arranging the sausages in the deep-dish pie pan. Some people cut up the sausages and arrange them at random. Others arrange the sausages like spokes of a wheel evenly spaced in pan. Whatever method is used, pour the batter over them. Lower oven heat to 200C (400 degrees or Gas Mark 6) and bake until batter is puffed and browned (about 30 minutes).

--------------------
I support the separation of church and hate!

IMAGINATION - the freest and largest nation in the world!

One can not profess to be of "GOD" and show intolerence and prejudice towards the beliefs of others.

Am fear nach gleidh na h–airm san t–sith, cha bhi iad aige ’n am a’ chogaidh.
He that keeps not his arms in time of peace will have none in time of war.

"We're all in this together , in the parking lot between faith and fear" ... O.C.M.S.

“Beasts feed; man eats; only the man of intellect knows how to eat well.”

"Without food we are nothing, without history we are lost." - SHADOWS

Is iomadh duine laghach a mhill an Creideamh.
Religion has spoiled many a good man.

The clan MacEwen
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]