Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Enter at own risk!

The Philosophy, Science & Religion forum has been created as an unmoderated forum. The issues discussed here can and will get very intense. Please show respect and appreciation to alternative views posted here. We appreciate your consideration.

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Why Do We Need Something To Believe In?
Aon_Daonna 
Posted: 13-Feb-2004, 10:19 AM
Quote Post

The Wolf Lady

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacIvy

Realm: Fife, Scotland

female

to the question of what we can be sure of... I keep it with socrates words as well.
I think we should never become too sure of anything because it will hit us so much harder if we build our whole world on a thesis and it's brought down with one lucky stone-throw...

--------------------
Moderator: The Playground (RPG)

Carpe Jugulum
Carved with a twisted smile
An epitaph for sorrow
Sethian - Epitaph

If anybody wants a costum signature, pm me!
PMEmail Poster               
silverdragon 
Posted: 13-Feb-2004, 03:19 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Tarzana, CA

female

I've lurked a while on this, and have decided to jump in....

(deep breath..... brrrr.....) What follows is strictly an account of MY experience. A testimony, if you find that wording comfortable.

I NEED something to believe in. I was dying. A spiritual way of life has saved my sorry butt. Yes, my physical survival depends on maintenance of a fit spiritual condition. I have a simple (not easy) set of rules on how to do just that, that I follow on a daily basis.

I don't join the creationism v. evolution debate. I don't even join the Christian v. Pagan v. Buddist v. Whatever debate. I belong to a Christian church primarily because that is the prevailing mythos I grew up in, though in fact my private beliefs are closer to Whatever. Did Whatever create the Universe? Did the Universe create Whatever? Is the Bible literally true, metaphorically true, on the same level as other religious mythology systems, pure nonsense, what? To be frank, I don't know and don't really care.

When I behaved as if I believed in nothing, I was dying. Now when I behave as if I believe in Something, and the rules I referred to above are how that Something would have me behave, I not only survive, my life is filled with abundance. The Something I believe in may or may not be powerful enough to create the Universe, start volcanos, part the Red Sea, etc. So what?

It's powerful enough to save my life, and that's enough for me. It's more than I could do.

(For those who are impressed by scientific credentials, I hold degrees in aerospace engineering and in computer science, from prestigious universities. The fancy letters after my name could not save my butt. My Higher Power could, did, and does.)

--------------------
Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow
Who shall gather the smoke of the dead wood burning
Or behold the flowing years from the Sea returning?

~ J.R.R. Tolkien

My blog: Almost, but not quite, entirely unrelated to filmmaking
PMEmail Poster                
maisky 
Posted: 14-Feb-2004, 08:18 AM
Quote Post

King of CelticRadio.net Jesters
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacIvy

Realm: Easton, PA

male

QUOTE (Raven @ Feb 6 2004, 01:45 PM)

What if we don't need to believe in something but do anyway?

After all, Raven believes that JaneyMae and Annabelle aren't out to pluck him.... laugh.gif

jester.gif

--------------------
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
Carl Sagan
PMEmail Poster               
peckery 
Posted: 14-Feb-2004, 08:28 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

male

Silver Dragon.....This how I feel. I'm not really sure I believe in any specific thing, but I do believe in something. Don't go for organized religion. They have bills to pay. Organized religions are corrupt, a power grab, like any corp. CEO of God Corp.
PS What is an aerospace engineer doing in HOLLYWEIRD??
PSS Disney stoc is going up again smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif
PMEmail Poster               
maisky 
Posted: 14-Feb-2004, 08:28 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacIvy

male

QUOTE (peckery @ Feb 12 2004, 02:46 PM)
rolleyes.gif Peckerys are natural born trouble makers. king.gif

Hey!! You're stealing my SHTICK!! rolleyes.gif

jester.gif
PMEmail Poster               
maisky 
Posted: 14-Feb-2004, 08:35 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacIvy

male

With all respect for my fellow members, the Creation vs. Evolution issue was settled in the scientific community (except among a small "fringe" element) long ago.

From MY perspective as both a scientist and a Buddhist, the Bible makes an interesting read as a mixture of historical and tribal myths. Certainly there was a lot of good advice to the wandering tribes where the stories originated.

That said, I deeply respect anybody who maintains faith in their belief system, even if it is a belief that there isn't a system. biggrin.gif Keep the faith!! Up the Revolution!! (oops, my 60's background is showing). rolleyes.gif

jester.gif
PMEmail Poster               
tsargent62 
Posted: 14-Feb-2004, 09:30 AM
Quote Post

Lord Socknoggle

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Lake Orion, Michigan

male

QUOTE (peckery @ Feb 14 2004, 09:28 AM)
Silver Dragon.....This how I feel. I'm not really sure I believe in any specific thing, but I do believe in something. Don't go for organized religion. They have bills to pay. Organized religions are corrupt, a power grab, like any corp. CEO of God Corp.

Peckery, it sounds like you've had a bad experience with organized religeon. Did you go to a Catholic school and get rapped on the knuckles too many times by the nuns?

--------------------

Cheers!
Todd

Normal is a relative term. For some reason it is not a term my relatives use to describe me.

PMEmail Poster               
peckery 
Posted: 14-Feb-2004, 11:19 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

male

QUOTE (tsargent62 @ Feb 14 2004, 10:30 AM)
QUOTE (peckery @ Feb 14 2004, 09:28 AM)
Silver Dragon.....This how  I feel.  I'm not really sure I believe in any specific thing, but I do believe in something.    Don't go for organized religion.  They have bills to pay.  Organized religions are corrupt, a power grab, like any corp.  CEO of God Corp.

Peckery, it sounds like you've had a bad experience with organized religeon. Did you go to a Catholic school and get rapped on the knuckles too many times by the nuns?

Nothing like that. I am a Sock Monkey of science, though. People can believe in whatever they want, just don't expect me to buy in. I find people who know more Bible than science make me tired. I for one am happy with the " we are just here because we are" way of looking at things. Why it has to be more than that to so many people I don't get, but I respect their need. And if I am wrong, God is supposed to be a great guy, so I'll be OK anyway. king.gif
PMEmail Poster               
silverdragon 
Posted: 15-Feb-2004, 12:59 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Tarzana, CA

female

QUOTE (peckery @ Feb 14 2004, 06:28 AM)
Silver Dragon.....This how  I feel.  I'm not really sure I believe in any specific thing, but I do believe in something.    Don't go for organized religion.  They have bills to pay.  Organized religions are corrupt, a power grab, like any corp.  CEO of God Corp.
PS  What is an aerospace engineer doing in HOLLYWEIRD??
PSS Disney stoc is going up again smile.gif  smile.gif  smile.gif

Ah, if you can't believe in Disney, what CAN you believe in? smile.gif

As for aerospace, it was the second largest industry here in La-La Land for many decades. Rockwell, Hughes, Lockheed, and many smaller firms that fed the others designs and parts. Alas, those days are gone...
PMEmail Poster                
Raven 
Posted: 16-Feb-2004, 11:52 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Indianapolis, IN

male

QUOTE (maisky @ Feb 14 2004, 09:35 AM)
With all respect for my fellow members, the Creation vs. Evolution issue was settled in the scientific community (except among a small "fringe" element) long ago.

From MY perspective as both a scientist and a Buddhist, the Bible makes an interesting read as a mixture of historical and tribal myths. Certainly there was a lot of good advice to the wandering tribes where the stories originated.

That said, I deeply respect anybody who maintains faith in their belief system, even if it is a belief that there isn't a system. biggrin.gif Keep the faith!! Up the Revolution!! (oops, my 60's background is showing). rolleyes.gif

jester.gif

What was the outcome Maisky. (waitint anxiously to find out which fringe I am on biggrin.gif )

BTW what do you mean that I don't believe those wiley females are out to pluck me??????????

--------------------
He is no fool who gives up that which he can not keep to gain that which he cannot loose

www.arminta.net
PMEmail Poster               View My Space Profile.
maisky 
Posted: 19-Feb-2004, 10:10 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacIvy

male

QUOTE (Raven @ Feb 16 2004, 12:52 PM)
QUOTE (maisky @ Feb 14 2004, 09:35 AM)

From MY perspective as both a scientist and a Buddhist, the Bible makes an interesting read as a mixture of historical and tribal myths.  Certainly there was a lot of good advice to the wandering tribes where the stories originated. 

That said, I deeply respect anybody who maintains faith in their belief system, even if it is a belief that there isn't a system.  biggrin.gif Keep the faith!!  Up the Revolution!! (oops, my 60's background is showing).  rolleyes.gif

jester.gif

What was the outcome Maisky. (waitint anxiously to find out which fringe I am on biggrin.gif )

BTW what do you mean that I don't believe those wiley females are out to pluck me??????????

Evolution, of course. biggrin.gif

As far as plucking, it has been almost 18 hours since I saw a post in which Annabelle or Elspeth offered to pluck you...... unsure.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Raven 
Posted: 19-Feb-2004, 01:37 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Indianapolis, IN

male

I guess I am on the scientific fringe that does not except "theories" as fact or law. I admire your faith wink.gif

Of course I am talking about macro evolution I.E. molecules to life, monkeys to man etc...

Since people are still putting faith in evolution and evolution is still regarded and taught as a theory I would say the argument must not really be settled except for a fringe element. It seems that all of the great thinkers of today are still pondering the idea of a moment of creation (regarding life Itself and inter species evolution) because of that whole 2nd law of thermo dynamics thing.

I do remember your post about "Postulating a universe that that is born, grows old, dies, and is reborn in an eternal cycle satisfying conservation of energy and matter issues" unfortunately there is no evidence to suggest that this is true. It is only another theory that suggests the visible evidence and begs the question of creation or beginning. I can understand that as a Buddist why this would work for you. However when I was in college (admittedly a few years ago - 20 to be exact smile.gif ) this particular idea was on the fringe and from what I have read and seen on the Tele lately it looks as if it maintains this same status with the mainstream.

By way of not digressing into a micro evolution argument I think it is pretty well settled that evolution on this scale is a fact as the evidence does suggest that certain characteristic traits would tend to make one species or variation there of survive while another dies out. I.E. survival of the fittest, extinction, etc...

I guess on this one we will have to agree to disagree ole buddist buddy tongue.gif

and that's okay. Some of the greatest minds of our time have done and are doing the same unsure.gif

Peace

Mikel
maisky 
Posted: 21-Feb-2004, 06:19 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacIvy

male

Agreeing to disagree works for me, my friend. biggrin.gif (If you won't be nice enough to let me fight with you). laugh.gif

I read a good sign today: When Irish eyes are smiling....They are up to something!
PMEmail Poster               
JaneyMae 
Posted: 22-Feb-2004, 12:02 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

Realm: Idaho, USA

female

I believe in Coffee in the morning, a whiskey in the evening, and food & laughter in between.

Oh, I also believe in the almighty creator who, without him, I can do nothing biggrin.gif

--------------------
JaneyMae

Tangle Goblinwitch: She is only seen in the enchanted moment between sleep and waking

"Never miss a chance to shut up." Will Rogers

Leprechauns, castles, good luck and laughter.
Lullabies, dreams and love ever after.
A thousand welcomes when anyone comes...
That's the Irish for You!
gaberlunzie 
Posted: 22-Feb-2004, 12:58 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

female

QUOTE (maisky @ Feb 21 2004, 07:19 PM)
I read a good sign today:  When Irish eyes are shining....They are up to something!

Hear! Hear! This is TRUE!!!! Hihi! biggrin.gif
I know that...really...we have an Irish pub around the corner which is - what a coincidence wink.gif - my local, too.
The owner and his brother are Irish to the bones and I know them for quite a while now... so I know... rolleyes.gif

--------------------
"Now here's my secret", said the fox, "it is very simple. It is only with ones heart that one can see clearly. What is essential is invisible to the eye."

("The Little Prince" by Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

"The soul would have no rainbow, if the eye had no tears."
(Native American Proverb)
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]