Group Icon

Group: Administrator
ZodiacOak

Realm: Toronto, CAN

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #74
222,391 Gold!

Lydia McCauley is our featured artist. Post your reviews and comments about Lydia McCauley here!

--------------------
Celtic Radio DJ
http://www.CelticRadio.net
Celtic Radio Music Network
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.View my Linked-In Profile.View my Google plus Profile.View my Twitter Profile.View My Space Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
Aaediwen 
Posted: 06-Jan-2005, 12:34 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Kentucky

male

I just got Foreignlander in yesterday. I'm quite impressed! I remember some time ago, I started seeing Lydia McCauley listed as a featured artist here, but I'd not heard any of her work and must have kept missing it. I finally requested some of her work, and am glad I did. Yet another wonderful CD added to my library thanks to Highlander Radio

"One Morning in May": Makes me think of 'The Nightingale' from [I]Celtic Pride[/I]. The story is definately the same

"Swallow's Return": This song quite stunned me when I heard it that first time. Insturmental tracks tend to be a harder sell for me than others, indeed, it wasn't until nearly y2k what I found insturmentals that I actually liked. This one, however, carrys me away on a cloud smile.gif May have to see if I can learn it once I get into playing a keyboard.

"Pretty Saro": has a fun feel to it. Still rather longing, and a sad story, fitting with the rest of the CD. But the way she comes across with it gives the song itself a fun feel.

"The Cuckoo": I can see how some might not care for some of how this song is done, and indeed, in some contexts I wouldn't like the style in how this song is done here. In this siuation though, it just seems to work smile.gif Just what happens, I guess, when you can't trust love anymore

"Barbara Allen": My quest ends here! I'd been looking for a good Celtic recording of this song since I first heard of it in the movie [I]Songcatcher[/I], and here it is! A wonderful story, and well done. That said even though I can't feel the rocking rythem of the song quite as much as I expected after watching Songcather, and Lydia also is not quite as strong with the accents as Donnie Dover is on "Brother Green", which uses the same melody. It's a slightly different style than I expected, but that doesn't keep it from being quite wonderful. Plus, I've not got a version of this song in my library, at long last smile.gif It also helped spur a stream that I'm still working on, and which may get posted here once it's finished.

"Stella": My mind seems to have passed over this one so far. Definately not something to run from. Generally, however, when I miss a song like that it's generally because it isn't going to peak my interest. Not horribly bad, but not special either. Just doesn't stand out.

"The River Trilogy": "Skye Boat Song". I listened a little closer to make sure that's not all this was, and there does appear to be more to it than just that, after all, it is labeled as a trilogy. I'll need yet to read the liner notes for more information on this track. It does have a plesent rendition of Skye Boat Song in it though, although unless I'm mistaken, the body of water in that is a little more than a river.

"I Will Give My Love an Apple": Interesting song here smile.gif I like the feel of it. Something you can sing along with. Also, the seemingly paradoxical metaphors are great smile.gif Lydia's delivery is fun to listen to as she dances through each line.

"Softly and Tenderly": Sounds nice, so I won't likely run. But the song itself is a little too Christian for me. sounds like it's trying to preach to me. Don't get me wrong, I like Christianity, and I do believe in what is taught. But if music is going to preach Christ to me, I'd rather it be in Church, not in the random slot of my library. As I said, though. it does sound pretty.

"ForeignLander" I like the overall feel of this song, but I keep getting lost and my mind wanders before I really get into what it says. I'm going to need to go through this song paying attention to every word, I think.

"Soldier Boy": Fun! fun! fun! smile.gif A bit different from the rest of the CD. Hop-skipping and fun. Doesn't have the nice even flow typical of the rest of the CD. Certainly has one ready to dance. I'm not knowledgeable enough to tell you what kind of dance tune this is, and that may be in the liner notes which I've not yet read. Fun though smile.gif

"Margaret's Waltz": Another one I've missed about every time I've listened to the CD so far

"Lover's Lament": Haunting and wonderful. I still need to fix up a playlist of just laments, an idea triggered by this song after hearing it here on Highlander.... "Ohh hush my love, you will break my heart, Nor let me hear you cry. for the best of friends will have to part, and so must you and I"
Definate earworm material. Wonderful song, which I've come to love

Most likely pattern to program my CD player on this disc: 2, 4, 5, 8, 10, 11, 13

--------------------
Poet and seeker of knowledge

PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]