> Celtic Canada, have you been
CelticRoz 
Posted: 21-Aug-2004, 11:01 PM
Quote Post

Roz

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAlder

female

Many thanks again, Mac! I lived in Tucson for many years. Love it there. Now live in a small town between Phoenix and Tucson. Love it here!
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
oldraven 
Posted: 21-Aug-2004, 11:48 PM
Quote Post

The Protector of the Unknown
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Guysborough Co., Nova Scotia

male

Yes, Garden of Eden. East River St. Mary's is maybe a ten minute walk from my parents farm. That sure as hell is my neck of the wood. If I had a picture of the farm, you'd probably recognize it. laugh.gif Mind you, it's on one of the only straight stretches on the 347, and most people fly by at top speed taking advantage of it. (lost too many dogs to that road sad.gif )

Important is right. PEI is the birthplace of Confederation. It's where Canada as we know it was born. (Charlottetown to be precise)

--------------------
Caw

"I am a Canadian by birth, but I am a Highlander by blood and feel under an obligation to do all I can for the sake of the Highlanders and their literature.... I have never yet spoken a word of English to any of my children. They can speak as much English as they like to others, but when they talk to me they have to talk in Gaelic."

-Alexander Maclean Sinclair of Goshen (protector of Gaelic Culture)

We need more Stan Rogers.

jams
PMEmail Poster               
MacAibhistin 
  Posted: 22-Aug-2004, 09:39 PM
Quote Post

Knight of the Round Table

ZodiacOak

Realm: northern Canada - somewhere between the treeline and civilisation

male

You know your history, Raven. I knew you were a good ole boy!
PMEmail Poster               
Avonlea22 
Posted: 23-Aug-2004, 12:15 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

Realm: Elizabethtown, PA

male

QUOTE (oldraven @ 22-Aug-2004, 01:48 AM)
Yes, Garden of Eden. East River St. Mary's is maybe a ten minute walk from my parents farm. That sure as hell is my neck of the wood. If I had a picture of the farm, you'd probably recognize it.

That's so cool that the two of you are from the same area, yet live so far apart now, yet have been introduced here on the forum. Just way cool. smile.gif

btw, welcome to the forum, Rory. I like your name. Rory is not a very common name.

--------------------
le gach dea-mhéin
~Brian
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
MacAibhistin 
Posted: 23-Aug-2004, 10:47 PM
Quote Post

ZodiacOak

male

Thanks, Brian. It is really neat to meet up with Raven here. But one thing I've noticed over the years is theat there are Atlantic Canadians everywhere I go! People must be the biggest export from that region - in addition to fish, apples, and potatoes! Rory is actually my nickname, it means one with the red hair, which is what I have. But there are a fair number of Rory's in Cape Breton, NS.

Raven, where did you say you are living now?
PMEmail Poster               
oldraven 
Posted: 24-Aug-2004, 07:54 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

male

I'm in Edmonton now, (my cousin from Goshen actually lives in Yellowknife). And I know what you mean. I stopped being surprised to hear someone is from the Maritimes, NS in particular. Just go to a Jimmy Flynn show or the Atlantic Trap n Gill here in Edmonton, and you'll notice just how many of us are around. My brother and I saw Flynn once here in Etown with our boss and a few fellows from work. They were the only Albertans there, and every time Jimmy cracked a joke, they'd laugh along, then look at us for translation. laugh.gif

And you're right about the exports. Did you know that despite the steady number of new births in NS every year, the population is declining? All heading west.

I know of a few Rory's, and the one I graduated with had red hair.

Do you ever make the trip into Etown? If so, give me a holler first, and I'll fire up the BBQ. beer_mug.gif king.gif thumbs_up.gif
PMEmail Poster               
MacAibhistin 
Posted: 25-Aug-2004, 08:04 PM
Quote Post

ZodiacOak

male

Raven, I was down last November for a teacher's conference. I have no plans to come down anytime soon, however, if things change I'd love to come for a visit. Thanks for the offer!
Rory
PMEmail Poster               
gzola 
Posted: 27-Sep-2004, 09:40 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacBirch

Realm: saskatchewan

female

Hello to everyone

I thought I would say hello from out west (Canada) and introduce myself at the same time. My Family is also Scottish in Origin from Eastern Canada. I hope to help the scottish community here to expand there social events in the future and would welcome any thoughtful suggestions.

Lucinda note.gif
PMEmail Poster               
MacAibhistin 
Posted: 27-Sep-2004, 10:30 PM
Quote Post

ZodiacOak

male

Hey, Lucinda! Great to hear from you! OldRaven and I are also in the West now, but we are hardcore Bluenosers, first and foremost. We are trying to spread a little light into the darkness of the west! laugh.gif

As for your Scottish community, any efforts to raise awareness of Gaelic and the contributions of Highland Scots to the making of our nation are very important. It is sad to think that most of the descendents of Highlands Scots don't even know that their ancestors came here speaking a different language! That is the problem with how Scottish culture is celebrated in this day and age. We celebrate kilts and tartans, but do little to understand the true ways of life that our forebears lived. The kilted Scots are a modern invention and the more you study, you'll find very few Highland immigrants waded ashore in Canada wearing kilts, sgian dubh, etc. (I won't get into the history of the kilt, but it is a long one in some respects, and a short one when it comes to the modern kilt and people's fascination with it.) However, they were almost all Gaelic speakers and practioners of a culture that was closely intertwinned with the language and the values that came with it.

Anyway, nice to see you on hear and all the best with your endeavours.

Rory MacA
PMEmail Poster               
highlandgirl26 
Posted: 29-Jan-2005, 03:51 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacHazel

female

Hi everyone,

Last year I moved out to PEI for two week to go to university. While I was there I fell in love with the island. I plan to go back very soon. My dad lived in Cape Breton for five years. I love going to Nova Scotia when I can to visit. The games, food and atmosphere down there is just amazing.

Jenn
PMEmail Poster               
Moon Child 
Posted: 30-Jan-2005, 12:59 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Saskatchewan, Canada

female

Wow and I thought I was the only from Western Canada!! w00t1.gif. I'm close to you Raven down here in cowtown!! cowboy.gif

Welcome Qzola, where are you in Saskatchewan?? I grew up ther most of my life until I came here in '92.
PMEmail Poster                
oldraven 
Posted: 16-Feb-2005, 11:59 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

male

Hey there White Goddess. smile.gif The wife and I head down to Calgary about twice a year. We used to go visit her brother there, until he moved to Toronto with his gf so she could go to school there. But just next month my cousin is getting married there.

But I won't be in the west much longer. smile.gif After our first is born this may, we're packing up and heading home. We came here to pay off our student loans and get established. Now that we're square again, we're going to make a go of it back east.
PMEmail Poster               
Moon Child 
Posted: 17-Feb-2005, 01:53 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Saskatchewan, Canada

female

Good luck to you and your wife Raven when you guys head east!! Congrats on the new baby when he or she comes too!!! biggrin.gif
PMEmail Poster                
Nova Scotian 
  Posted: 19-Apr-2005, 03:25 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacRowan

Realm: Tampa Florida

male

Even though I live in the USA and I'm a proud American, I'm also very proud of my Nova Scotia heritage. My Greatx4 Grandfather was a loyalist settler there and my family still has a summer cottage on a plot of that original land an my Great Grandfather was from Guys Borough and his family was part of clan Gordon. Nova Scotia is probably the MOST BEAUTIFUL place on the face of the earth.

--------------------
ALL4114Christ!

343 Their blood cries out! NEVER FORGET 9/11!

The 2nd Ammendment. The original Homeland Security!

"To those who would follow laws; laws need not apply. Those who would not follow laws; laws will have no affect upon."

Plato

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
C. S. Lewis
PMEmail Poster                
KiltedCanadian 
Posted: 20-Apr-2005, 02:46 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacReed

male

QUOTE (White Goddess @ 30-Jan-2005, 02:59 AM)
Wow and I thought I was the only from Western Canada!! w00t1.gif. I'm close to you Raven down here in cowtown!! cowboy.gif

Welcome Qzola, where are you in Saskatchewan?? I grew up ther most of my life until I came here in '92.

a Winnipeg born and raised boy personally. I have live din B.C for the past 12 years now.

--------------------
Happily Celtic, Proudly Canadian
Luceo Non Uro
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]