Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> The Confererate Flag, How do we all feel about it?
John Clements 
Posted: 27-May-2007, 11:28 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacElder

male

QUOTE (TheCarolinaScotsman @ 26-May-2007, 08:34 PM)
Most of the Confederate soldiers neither owned slaves nor were they fighting to uphold slavery. They were fighting what they saw as interference in their own states and what they perceived as an attack on their homeland. As an example, NC planned to remain neutral, but when the federal governemnt demanded they send troops to the Union or else, they seceded. I had two gggrandfathers , four ggrandfathers and numerous gg uncles who fought. Some died, some were wounded, some captured. All of them fought to protect their homes. None were slave owners. I am proud to honor their memory and I hold those who would sully their memory, their cause and their honor with racist bulls**t in utter contempt.

My father was raised by his grandfather who was a Confederate veteran. He was wounded January 15, 1865 in the final Union assault on Fort Fisher, NC. But he raised my father to become a minister who preached for equal rights and integration in the the 1950s from his pulpit in the rural south. My father was threatened by the KKK. But he did not bend. Because he was raised with honor by a Confederate veteran.

There always two sides to a story. It’s only too bad that the wrong side often becomes more prevalent. A proud man you are CS, and rightfully so. I know I would be… if I were you.

JC

--------------------
We’re all poets, only some of us write it down. JC 9/27/08

Anyone who has the courage to disagree, deserves all do respect. JC 4/28/08

Life is a loosing battle, so you might as well live it up.
J.C. 3/29/08

Life should be like skiing, you have the most fun on the way down. J.C. 8/17/07

Take their word for it, and that’s just what you’ll get.
J.C. 3/19/07

Only the truth is worth the ultimate sacrifice.
J.C. 1/26/06

Compared to the far right, the far left is somewhere in the middle. J.C. 2/22/06

I’ll be the first to apologies, as long as I get one back.
J.C. 3/7/06

It’s a happy man, who can laugh at himself.

If you’re looking for a new experience, don’t hire someone with a lot of it. J.C. sometime in 1990
PMEmail Poster               
Sekhmet 
Posted: 27-May-2007, 10:00 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: Pittsburgh-ish, Pennsylvania

female

Yes, there is a lot of emotion that goes with this topic. And I can feel the rumblings already. Just a wee reminder...

Keep it cordial, gentlemen.
PMEmail Poster               View My Space Profile.
Robert Phoenix 
Posted: 27-May-2007, 11:23 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Ironwood, MI

male

Thank you for the education gentlemen. As a far northerner I didn't even realize there was more than one confederate flag. But then again U.S. history was never my strong point. I think the only one that everyone up here is familar with is the one on the top of the General Lee. See, ya learn something new everyday.

--------------------
Unavoidably Detained by the World

"Irishness is not primary a question of birth or blood or language; it is the condition on being involved in the Irish situation, and usually of being mauled by it."-Conor Cruise O'Brien

Pour mouth to mouth
PMEmail Poster               
TheCarolinaScotsman 
Posted: 27-May-2007, 11:45 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: North Carolina

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #76
41,453 Gold!

QUOTE (John Clements @ 27-May-2007, 01:28 PM)
There always two sides to a story. It’s only too bad that the wrong side often becomes more prevalent. A proud man you are CS, and rightfully so. I know I would be… if I were you.

JC

Proud of myself? No, I've led a very mediocre life and have many failures to my credit (debit?). Proud of my father and my family? Yes! He was a very mild mannered and soft spoken man, a gentle person. But he had an inner core of steel that withstood the most difficult times and circumstances. His mother died of TB when he was two and he was raised by his maternal grandparents on a one mule farm until they became too ill to care for him. He went to college with a quarter in his pocket and worked his way through. Graduated magna cum laude (double major: English and philosophy) and then graduated from seminary suma cum laude. He always stood up for what he believed to be right. Equal rights, social justice and simply loving his fellow humans. He was a minister, a teacher, a poet, founded my clan's society in the US and was loved and respected by many, many people.

--------------------
TheCarolinaScotsman

Ya'll drive safe and come back soon.
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Nova Scotian 
Posted: 28-May-2007, 05:38 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacRowan

Realm: Tampa Florida

male

QUOTE (Roberto Phoenix @ 28-May-2007, 12:23 AM)
Thank you for the education gentlemen. As a far northerner I didn't even realize there was more than one confederate flag. But then again U.S. history was never my strong point. I think the only one that everyone up here is familar with is the one on the top of the General Lee. See, ya learn something new everyday.

Yes. The old General Lee. That was one of my favorite shows back in the day. I actually made a model of that car once. I recently saw the same model in a hobby shop however it was minus the Flag for the top in the kit. That I thought took political correctness too far. I mean that show was anything but raciest.

--------------------
ALL4114Christ!

343 Their blood cries out! NEVER FORGET 9/11!

The 2nd Ammendment. The original Homeland Security!

"To those who would follow laws; laws need not apply. Those who would not follow laws; laws will have no affect upon."

Plato

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
C. S. Lewis
PMEmail Poster                
Mailagnas maqqas Dunaidonas 
Posted: 29-May-2007, 09:55 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

male

QUOTE (John Clements @ 25-May-2007, 12:11 PM)
To me, a flag is only as good as the actions of the person holding it.

Well stated--and consistent with the following statement from the Anti-Defamation League:
Users of this database should keep in mind, however, that few symbols ever represent just one idea or are used exclusively by one group. For example, the Confederate Flag is a symbol that is frequently used by white supremacists but which also has been used by people and groups that are not racist. To some it may signify pride in one's heritage but to others it suggests slavery or white supremacy. Similarly, other symbols in this database may be significant to groups or individuals who are not extreme or racist. The descriptions here point out significant multiple meanings but may not be able to relay every single possible meaning of a particular symbol. For this reason, all of the symbols depicted here must be evaluated in the context in which they are used.

A Visual Database of Extremist Symbols, Logos and Tattoos
I find it more than a little ironic (and mystifying) that those who succeeded in removing the Battle Flag from the Georgia State Flag seem to have no problem with the fact that the new Georgia State Flag is explicitly based on the Confederate 1st National Flag.

--------------------
Síochán leat,
Mailagnas
Clan Donald USA
PMEmail Poster               
Sekhmet 
Posted: 29-May-2007, 07:28 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: Pittsburgh-ish, Pennsylvania

female

They're reacting to a symbol in its modern form, not its historical one. Classic example.
PMEmail Poster               View My Space Profile.
gwenlee 
Posted: 05-Jul-2007, 03:28 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacAlder

female

There is little that I can add. Shadow, and the CarolinaScotsman said it so well. I am an Army brat and having lived in various parts of the United States I saw racism everywhere. But what amazed me was the attitude of people towards people from the south. People use to say, oh you're from the south you must be prejudice. It use to baffle me. But as I have gotten older I have come to the conclusion that it is the lack of knowledge about history that people have.
I'm proud to be southern. We have a pride about our country that I think is unmatched by any other part of the USA. Slavery was a blight on our country, and I think the debt has been paid. WE southerns are a proud bunch (I guess it is the Scot/Irish that is in most of us) and I guess our ways can seem backwards, and the Southern accent can make us sound uneducated ( no I don't have a southern accent, I sound like I came from the Northwest). The folks I know that fly the cross bars and stars are educated, hard working people. And never would dream of participating in any racist activities. The flag is just a piece of cloth.
I have a problem with people who come to the south and want to change it. I like the saying Delta is ready when you are and you can leave anytime you want. And as I tell my children so often you are southern born and southern breed. And nothing is going to change that.

Oh by the way it really wasn't a Civil War, it was a war of succession. The south wasn't trying to take over the government, they were trying to to form their own country. I'm glad it didn't succeed. Because we are a great nation because we are one.
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Gwynhwyvar 
Posted: 16-Jul-2007, 08:25 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

Realm: Smyrna, Georgia

female

Amen y'all!!!

--------------------
"He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.
I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.""
Psalm 91:1-2

"Be what you would seem to be--or, if you'd like it put more simply--Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise." from "Alice in Wonderland"
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]