Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> The Corries, - an 'oldie but goodie' folk duo
Catriona 
Posted: 10-Dec-2003, 06:46 AM
Quote Post

Banned Member

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

The Corries have been part of the Scots folk scene since the early 60s... and the sad thing is that I remember when they were the Corrie Folk Trio! wink.gif

When I was a girl at school and then a student - I used to go to see them on a regular basis.... Their music still has the power to move me. 'Kiss the Children for me, Mary' is one of the songs of longing for your home which always affects me. Their version of 'Bonnie Dundee' always gets people singing along with the chorus - even non-Jacobites! cool.gif One of the best sing-along songs is 'Maids when you are Young'.... all about the perils of a young woman marrying a much older man.... very funny!

Roy Williamson wrote O Flower of Scotland - Scotland's 'unofficial' anthem... sadly, he died about 11 or 12 years ago, of a brain tumour. His partner still performs regularly at venue's all over Scotland.

http://www.moray.gov.uk/museums/corries/
PMEmail Poster               
jaynebylak 
  Posted: 10-Dec-2003, 09:28 AM
Quote Post

Honored Clan Member

ZodiacElder

Realm: North Carolina

female

Hello,
I am not as familiar with the Corries as you are. My friend in Scotland sent me a greatest hits cd by them and I was hooked. I like The Portree Kid and Bricklayer's Song and Sunday Driver. To name a few I like. I would love to have complete set of them. Maybe can get it later as soon as they make a boxed set of them
Jayne
PMEmail Poster               
Catriona 
Posted: 10-Dec-2003, 05:13 PM
Quote Post

Banned Member

ZodiacBirch

Hello, Jayne
Have a look at the official Corries website. It is run by Gavin, the son of Ronnie Brown - I've used it a number of times and the service is very good, quick and efficient (just a satisfied customer, I have no personal interest in the site!)

http://www.corries.com/
PMEmail Poster               
Aon_Daonna 
Posted: 24-Dec-2003, 08:26 PM
Quote Post

The Wolf Lady

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Fife, Scotland

female

Gavin also sends newsletters himself.. my BF actually has regular contact with him of some sorts.

I got to know them because my BF's Dad is a huge fan of them. In his bedroom are hanging 2 tourposters, both at least from the 70's =)
He's got the most extensive corries collection on LP as well as some other goodies... they are incredibly great, especially the live albums because they joke and sometimes even forget the songlyrics.. it's quite funny (How is that song called? Cavaliers Muster Roll? It's funny =) )

--------------------
Moderator: The Playground (RPG)

Carpe Jugulum
Carved with a twisted smile
An epitaph for sorrow
Sethian - Epitaph

If anybody wants a costum signature, pm me!
PMEmail Poster               
englishmix 
Posted: 30-Jan-2009, 04:40 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: My place

Catriona!

Thanks for the excellent links. I also found a www.facebook.com site for the Corries.
PMEmail Poster                
Frazley 
Posted: 22-Feb-2009, 01:55 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Lanarkshire, Scotland

male

I saw the Corries live in the mid 70's and they are top class. There is loads of stuff on you tube. Check it out. Best songs (in my opinion) are MacPhersons Rant and Maggie Lauder.
PMEmail Poster               
englishmix 
Posted: 22-Feb-2009, 02:18 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Frazley,

Those are interesting favorites because I have yet to hear either of those two songs by the Corries. I think I have heard MacPherson's Rant once by another group. Anyway, I will be looking for the opportunity to hear those songs; either by requesting them on Highlander Radio or searching for them on U-Tube.

Thanks for the interesting post.

Slainte,
Englishmix
PMEmail Poster                
Frazley 
Posted: 22-Feb-2009, 02:48 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Lanarkshire, Scotland

male

To be honest most of the Corries songs are very goiod. I think I've got pretty much every song they recorded and there are not many bad ones among them. My favorites are the faster ones such as the two I mentioned however slower ones like Dark Lochnagar are also worth a listen. I would say the Corries are the best folk group to come out of Scotland in the last 30 odd years.
PMEmail Poster               
englishmix 
Posted: 01-Sep-2009, 04:11 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Anyone read "Flower of Scotland: Roy Williamson, My Father" by Karen Williamsom? What did ya think? I'd like to get a copy to read.

Attached Image. (Click thumbnail to expand)
Attached Image (Works with IE Only)
PMEmail Poster                
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]