Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

I thought this might interest some of you with Halloween just haveing passed

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...ot/haunted_hill

U.S. Capitol Said to Be Haunted Building
Thu Oct 30, 3:39 PM ET

By JIM ABRAMS, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - Murder, curses and demon cats. Statues descending from their pedestals for midnight minuets. There are scarier things than lawmaking going on inside the U.S. Capitol.

Walk through the Rotunda late at night and the only sound might be the 180-foot-high iron dome creaking in the cool air. But those with sharper ears and broader imaginations might also hear, behind the 850 doorways, the footsteps of the stricken John Quincy Adams or the assassinated James Garfield.

There was plenty of noise Thursday, as authorities closed down the House after guards saw what they thought was a firearm on a security camera at a Capitol office building across the street. It turned out to be a toy, part of a Halloween costume an employee was bringing in.

Halloween or not, the 200-year-old Capitol is said to be one of the most haunted buildings in Washington, says Jim Berard, Democratic communications director for the House Transportation Committee. Berard compiled some of the more famous ghost stories in his recently published "The Capitol Inside & Out," a history of the nation's legislative center.

The building got off to a bad start in 1808 when construction superintendent John Lenthall disagreed with architect B. Henry Latrobe over the vaulting in the room now known as the Old Supreme Court Chamber. When Lenthall tried to remove braces from the vaults, the ceiling collapsed and crushed him. In his last breath, legend goes, Lenthall put a curse on the building.

Tragedy struck again in 1848 when John Quincy Adams, who was elected to the House after serving as president, had a stroke on the House floor, now Statuary Hall, while giving a speech against the Mexican War. He died two days later in a room off the floor, and Capitol workers have since reported hearing Adams' footsteps, or the specter of the old man trying to finish his speech.

Among other spirits spotted in Capitol hallways are James Garfield, a former House member who was shot just four months into his presidency and died two months later, and his hanged assassin, disgruntled office seeker Charles Guiteau.

Washington's famed city planner, Pierre Charles L'Enfant, who died impoverished and embittered by the way Congress had treated him, has also been seen in the subterranean rooms of the Capitol, carrying a roll of parchment and shaking his head, according to John Alexander, author of "Ghosts: Washington Revisited."

Alexander also relates how late at night, after the politicians have gone home, a pounding gavel has been heard in the house chamber, as Speaker "Uncle Joe" Cannon and his 1911 successor, Champ Clark, continue their feuding.

Disbelieving reporters might avoid a House hallway where in 1890 journalist Charles Kincaid shot and killed Kentucky congressman William Taulbee after an argument. The legend is that black spots on the stairway are Taulbee's blood, and that Taulbee gets his revenge by tripping up reporters on the stairs.

The spirit of the doughboy who lay in state in the Rotunda in 1921 as the Unknown Soldier from World War I is said to return when others lie in the Rotunda. Civil War general and senator John Logan is also said to return to the old Military Affairs Committee room, with the door to the room quietly opening and the general appearing, surrounded by a blue haze. In the 1930s workmen discovered a sealed-up room containing what many believed was Logan's stuffed horse.

Then there's the "killer bathtub," an ornate Italian marble tub that was one of several enjoyed by 19th century senators. Ulysses S. Grant's vice president, Henry Wilson, in 1875 fell asleep in the tub, was chilled by the cooling water and died of a stroke in his Senate office that night. Visitors to that office say they can catch a whiff of the scented soap used in the long-abandoned Senate bath.

Berard says the most famous Capitol apparition is the "Demon Cat," thought to date back to the early days when cats roamed the building to keep the rat population down. The cat, said to appear at times of national crisis, grows to enormous size before suddenly vanishing. Legend has it that one guard fired his gun at it, and another was so frightened he suffered a fatal heart attack.

Some claim that on the night a new president is sworn in the statues in Statuary Hall dismount for their own inaugural ball, and that Civil War foes Grant and Robert E. Lee have been seen meeting for a reconciliatory handshake. The one problem here, Berard noted, is that there are only six statues of women in the National Statuary Hall Collection to dance with 91 men.
PMEmail Poster               
kidclaymore 
Posted: 02-Nov-2003, 06:31 PM
Quote Post

THE BLACK KNIGHT
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacAsh

Realm: North East Texas

male

Wow!

--------------------
Slainte
Cho Sona ri radan ann am muileann and Gus an coinnich sinn a rithisd
Clan Lamont
PMEmail Poster               
Annabelle 
Posted: 02-Nov-2003, 06:48 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacElder

Realm: Outer Space

Garfield, Maybe that's who is writing the new laws and raising taxes, hum?
Boo! But very interesting!
Annabelle

--------------------
My heart will always be in the Highlands!

www.highlanderhouse.com
PMEmail Poster               
scottish2 
Posted: 02-Nov-2003, 06:49 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Yeah I thought you'd like that. Wonder how true these stories are? unsure.gif
PMEmail Poster               
scottish2 
Posted: 02-Nov-2003, 06:50 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

QUOTE (Annabelle @ Nov 2 2003, 07:48 PM)
Garfield, Maybe that's who is writing the new laws and raising taxes, hum?
Boo! But very interesting!
Annabelle

That's possible laugh.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Annabelle 
Posted: 02-Nov-2003, 07:00 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacElder

Realm: Outer Space

I would bet they are probably true! I use to live in Annapolis, Md and they have enough buildings that I've seen things happen to believe.
There is a resturaunt in downtown Md called Reynolds' Tavern...it was a popular Tavern that since it is close to the docks area sailors and shipmerchants pulling in would frequent...Mary Reynolds was the Tavern Owners wife who fell down the stairs and broke her neck..she is still there.
It is not unusual to feel a hand on your arm, back of your neck or a sudden breeze.
One day a friend and I were having lunch and there is a outbuilding that they now store paper products in there...this use to be the kitchen...one day sitting in the resturant we suddenly saw paper products being thrown out the door into the yard...it was Mary...we said something to the waitress and she told us this happens all of the time...I've seen Mary going up the stairs and felt things I knew weren't there...so I would not be surprised by anything at the Capital...another building that has strange things happening in it is " The Library of Congress". Things suddenly move or you smell flowers where there are none.
Annabelle
PMEmail Poster               
marius 
Posted: 03-Nov-2003, 05:19 PM
Quote Post

Servant

ZodiacOak

Realm: IDAHO!! school elsewhere

male

haunted capitol building, eh? i guess that makes sense. i wonder if the dept of agriculture is haunted as well.
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]