Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Enter at own risk!

The Philosophy, Science & Religion forum has been created as an unmoderated forum. The issues discussed here can and will get very intense. Please show respect and appreciation to alternative views posted here. We appreciate your consideration.

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Are Thoughts As Bad As Deeds?
maisky 
Posted: 12-Dec-2004, 05:56 AM
Quote Post

King of CelticRadio.net Jesters
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacIvy

Realm: Easton, PA

male

QUOTE (freekenny @ 24-Jul-2004, 11:01 PM)
O'siyo,
My opinion only of course smile.gif ..No, I do not believe that my thoughts are as bad as an actual deed~ A thought, if mine, is just that..my thought and my thought does not harm nor affect others unless I act upon it hence it becoming a deed~~ If that thought is of evil or wrong intention and I end up 'acting' out that deed well, I must pay the consequences~ No one caused me to commit a bad deed just as no one is responsible for me having a 'bad' thought..
As far as someone looking at another person, same or opposite sex, and 'thinking' to themself how attractive that person is, do I think that is wrong? NO..we are human and to admire others, I believe, is natural~I have great admiration for others in many ways and if I see a nice looking man and think 'wow, I really would like to meet him' or 'wow, he has a nice butt' then I don't think I am going to be 'damned' for that thought nor do I feel I have done anything wrong~
I don't believe a thought, good or bad, is anything like an actual good or bad deed~ cool.gif When it comes right down to it, the one having the thought, good or bad, is the only one with the power to keep it as a thought or act upon it~ To me there is a big difference~
~~Sty-U red_bandana.gif

Is this like when I look at a picture of a particular "biker chick" and think "WOW, she's HOT!"? biggrin.gif
And when I exchange thoughts via posts with this same "chick" and think of what a BEAUTIFUL spirit she has and think of how great it would be to meet this person (un-named) someday? naughty.gif

--------------------
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
Carl Sagan
PMEmail Poster               
freekenny 
Posted: 14-Dec-2004, 12:57 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacWillow

Realm: Beaches of North Carolina & Mountains of Kentucky

female

QUOTE (maisky @ 12-Dec-2004, 06:56 AM)
QUOTE (freekenny @ 24-Jul-2004, 11:01 PM)
O'siyo,
My opinion only of course smile.gif ..No, I do not believe that my thoughts are as bad as an actual deed~ A thought, if mine, is just that..my thought and my thought does not harm nor affect others unless I act upon it hence it becoming a deed~~ If that thought is of evil or wrong intention and I end up 'acting' out that deed well, I must pay the consequences~ No one caused me to commit a bad deed just as no one is responsible for me having a 'bad' thought..
As far as someone looking at another person, same or opposite sex, and 'thinking' to themself how attractive that person is, do I think that is wrong? NO..we are human and to admire others, I believe, is natural~I have great admiration for others in many ways and if I see a nice looking man and think 'wow, I really would like to meet him' or 'wow, he has a nice butt' then I don't think I am going to be 'damned' for that thought nor do I feel I have done anything wrong~
I don't believe a thought, good or bad, is anything like an actual good or bad deed~ cool.gif When it comes right down to it, the one having the thought, good or bad, is the only one with the power to keep it as a thought or act upon it~ To me there is a big difference~
~~Sty-U red_bandana.gif

Is this like when I look at a picture of a particular "biker chick" and think "WOW, she's HOT!"? biggrin.gif
And when I exchange thoughts via posts with this same "chick" and think of what a BEAUTIFUL spirit she has and think of how great it would be to meet this person (un-named) someday? naughty.gif

O'siyo maisky,
~ You humble me and it would be my honour to meet you someday! hug.gif
~~ Ni Ya We for the kind words dear maisky..I must say, you kind one, bring tears of laughter to my eyes, then on some days when I read your posts such as this one, well, you bring tears to these eyes of mine because, it is so rare now days for someone to have such kind words that are shared with such a sincere heart and spirit!! You dear maisky are rare...like precious diamonds!! Ni Ya We to the Great Spirit for affording me the opportunity to have encountered such a wonderful spirit such as you and so many others on CelticRadio! cheers.gif
~~Sty-U red_bandana.gif

--------------------
I always knew one day I would travel this road;I just did not know that today would be the day....

'Each man is good in his sight. It is not necessary for eagles to be crows' --Sitting Bull

'Why do you take by force what you could obtain by love?'
--Powhatan

'HeartAches mend, HeartBreaks are everlasting'-- my own quote, seeker
PMEmail Poster               
Ceciliastar1 
Posted: 14-Dec-2004, 01:41 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: Ohio.

female

Hmmm... tht is a good question. I do not think that thoughts are as bad as deeds. In the Christain faith they can be. I look at it this way, thoughts can lead to bad deeds and people need to get control of those thoughts. I don't know if it makes any sense.

A good example are the guys on my college campus. It's a catholic school so you meet a lot of whackos. Anyway, girls are not allowed to dress certain ways because they are guilted into not wearing the clothes. there is no dress code. Girls can't wear low-rise jeans, or v-neck shirts, or belly shirts or thins to that effect. The guys on the campus have walked up to me before and told me I shouldn't dress like that because I just led them to sin by their thoughts. (For one that was rude). Anyway, obviously I was insulted. I still dress the way I want. I am not dressing that way to lead people into sinfl thoughts. I did nothing wrong. I don't even show cleavage for crying out loud. What I'm trying to say is that those men need to control their thoughts because they may lead them into bad things, instead of blaming their thoughts on what someone is wearing they need to admit they are horny and that they need to stop thinking about women that way. All I'm trying to say through all of my babbling is that thoughts can lead to bad things and they need to be controlled by the individual.

--------------------
There's a dear little plant that grows in our Isle
Twas St . Patrick himself, sure, that set it;
And the sun of his labour with pleasure did smile,
And with dew from his eye often wet it.
It grows through the bog, through the brake, through the
Mireland, and they call it the dear little shamrock of Ireland.
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
birddog20002001 
Posted: 14-Dec-2004, 06:45 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Isle of Man
ZodiacRowan

Realm: North Carolina

male

I shouldn't dress like that because I just led them to sin by their thoughts. (For one that was rude).

For two dollars to pesos he was hitting on you, but didn't know how to do it.

--------------------
"when a person is prepared to die for a cause, and indeed to glory in such a death, it impossible to supress him or the cause it represents." Jawaharlal Nehru

"Only the suppressed word is dangerous." Ludwig Borne

"All of our freedoms are a single bundle, all must be secure if any is to be preserved." Dwight David Eisenhower

"All men's souls are immortal, but the souls of the righteous are both immortal and divine." Socrates
PMEmail Poster               
maisky 
Posted: 15-Dec-2004, 08:26 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacIvy

male

Ceciliastar1, ladies are ALWAYS welcome to wear provocative clothes around ME. tongue.gif
PMEmail Poster               
dbull 
Posted: 15-Dec-2004, 08:53 AM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacRowan

male

biggrin.gif As a Christian let me tell you this. NO. Just because you thought something, doesn't mean you're gulity of anything. Of course there are some radicals out there that forget that we're human and inperfect and that God loves us no matter what. They sometimes may try to tell you different. But if someone or anyone told me they never had an inperfect or inpure thought, then the just sinned with a lie.
Now of course thoughts put action into motion but, only you have the responsibility and are capable to stop yourself.
PMEmail Poster               
Ceciliastar1 
Posted: 15-Dec-2004, 11:28 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: Ohio.

female

QUOTE (maisky @ 15-Dec-2004, 09:26 AM)
Ceciliastar1, ladies are ALWAYS welcome to wear provocative clothes around ME. tongue.gif

maisky and birddog you guys are hilarious. Well I thank you for the offer, lol. My point was though that I wasn't wearing anything provocative. Maybe I should though and see what kind of reactions I would get.... naughty.gif
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
maryellen 
Posted: 15-Dec-2004, 01:33 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: England
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Saint Louis, Missouri, USA

female

Matthew 5: 27"You have heard that it was said, `Do not commit adultery.' 28But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart. 29If your right eye causes you to sin, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to be thrown into hell. 30And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to go into hell."

So what Jesus said is wrong? If you lust after someone (thought), you don't commit adultery (action)?

I only mention Jesus because of the reference to Christian several times. I am aware it is the Philosophy forum.

--------------------
Seize the time,. . .live now, make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again- Star Trek TNG

"The report of my death was an exaggeration."
-Mark Twain, After reading his own obituary, June 2, 1897

If you ever have a world, plan ahead, don't eat it! - Star Trek TNG
PMEmail Poster               
maisky 
Posted: 16-Dec-2004, 08:13 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacIvy

male

QUOTE (Ceciliastar1 @ 15-Dec-2004, 11:28 AM)
maisky and birddog you guys are hilarious. Well I thank you for the offer, lol. My point was though that I wasn't wearing anything provocative. Maybe I should though and see what kind of reactions I would get.... naughty.gif

Pictures? Please? laugh.gif
PMEmail Poster               
maisky 
Posted: 16-Dec-2004, 08:16 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacIvy

male

QUOTE (maryellen @ 15-Dec-2004, 01:33 PM)
Matthew 5:    27"You have heard that it was said, `Do not commit adultery.' 28But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart. 29If your right eye causes you to sin, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to be thrown into hell. 30And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to go into hell."

So what Jesus said is wrong?  If you lust after someone (thought), you don't commit adultery (action)?

I only mention Jesus because of the reference to Christian several times.  I am aware it is the Philosophy forum.

Does this mean we should "go for the gold" and take ACTION on these impulses? Wouldn't that put us on the same level as animals? Doesn't self determination imply that we learn to control these impulses? I don't honestly think feeling guilty about these subconsious impulses accomplishes anything good. rolleyes.gif
PMEmail Poster               
maryellen 
Posted: 05-Jan-2005, 11:11 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: England
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Saint Louis, Missouri, USA

female

Feeling guilty about those subconscious impluses keeps people from turning those thoughts into action.

Perhaps
PMEmail Poster               
maisky 
Posted: 06-Jan-2005, 06:41 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacIvy

male

QUOTE (maryellen @ 05-Jan-2005, 11:11 AM)
Feeling guilty about those subconscious impluses keeps people from turning those thoughts into action.

Perhaps

It's true, that many people rely on guilt and fear to limit their impulse-action package. Personally, I prefer to examine my impulses and consciously decide between action/non-action. I may STILL mess up, but at least I am in control of the cause/effect cycle. rolleyes.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Haldur 
Posted: 06-Jan-2005, 05:22 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Grayson, KY

male

Life is a series of mistakes, learn, mistakes, learn...life is weird.

--------------------
Haldr, Traveller of the Great Forest

"After all is said and done, a lot more will be said than done."

- Unknown

user posted image
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
erickbloodax 
Posted: 06-Jan-2005, 08:51 PM
Quote Post

Honored Clan Member

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Arizona

male

Sensei says, "where the head goes the body will follow." Thoughts that pop in and out are not a problem, but dwelling on thoughts can be.

We can control how happy or sad we are by how we choose to think about our circumstances. Should we dwell in bitterness and anger, we become bitter angry people.

I hope that is what the lesson is, otherwise the thoughts I have had about a redheaded member, well just put me in a chute in the basement straight to hell. lookaround.gif

--------------------
If you don't come back muddy and bloody, you didn't have a good time.
PMEmail Poster               
maisky 
Posted: 09-Jan-2005, 07:22 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacIvy

male

QUOTE (Haldur @ 06-Jan-2005, 05:22 PM)
Life is a series of mistakes, learn, mistakes, learn...life is weird.

The wisdom that comes with age allows us to recognize mistakes when we make them again.... biggrin.gif
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]