Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Televangelists, Who are your favorites?
Elspeth 
Posted: 13-May-2004, 08:38 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Wales
ZodiacReed

female

I know I'm sliding off topic here, but I have struggled with this. We have four children to provide for on a limited income. I may be wrong, but I always felt that God gave me these incredible little people to raise into adults. That in this point in time - they are my main responsibility. Their basic needs are my first priority. Many times that has meant we didn't have any money to give to church. I can't help but believe God is OK with that. And if I am wrong, I believe He will forgive me.

--------------------
Compassion is the sometimes fatal capacity for feeling what it is like inside somebody else's skin. It is the knowledge that there can never really be any peace and joy for me until there is peace and joy finally for you too.
- Frederick Buechner

If society prospers at the expense of the intangibles,
how can it be called progress?

-LLP
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
Roisin-Teagan 
Posted: 13-May-2004, 10:19 PM
Quote Post

a ragamuffin of Eireann
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacElder

Realm: South Louisiana

female

QUOTE (Elspeth @ May 13 2004, 08:38 AM)
I know I'm sliding off topic here, but I have struggled with this. We have four children to provide for on a limited income. I may be wrong, but I always felt that God gave me these incredible little people to raise into adults. That in this point in time - they are my main responsibility. Their basic needs are my first priority. Many times that has meant we didn't have any money to give to church. I can't help but believe God is OK with that. And if I am wrong, I believe He will forgive me.

Elspeth,

I don't think you are wrong. God owns the universe and he doesn't need our money. I believe giving into the work of the Lord is established so that we can have a part in what God is doing in the lives of others---Charity work, etc., etc. But I don't believe God would want you to allow your children to go hungry or do without so a organization can spend your money.

Ravenwing,

As to those televangelists who hored or pander money through manipulation, I believe is one of the worst "Sins". It is these "types" that have hurt the cause of Christ and tarnished the image of Christianity. I apologize for their horrible behavior.

Peace,
Roisin

--------------------
Roisin-Teagan

"There, in that hand, on that shoulder under that chin---all of its lightness delicately balanced and its strings skillfully bowed---it becomes a voice."---Rich Mullins

"At 18, if you have oversized aspirations, the whole world sees you as a dreamer. At 40, you get the reputation for being a visionary." ---Rich Mullins

"God gives the gifts where He finds the vessel empty enough to receive them."---C.S. Lewis

Éire go Brách!
PMEmail Poster               
Herrerano 
Posted: 14-May-2004, 12:09 PM
Quote Post

Lord of the Isthmus, Keeper of the Holy Barbecue
Group Icon

Group: Galicia
ZodiacIvy

Realm: Republica de Panamá

male

Luke 20, verses 46 and 47 seem strangely appropriate.

"Be on guard against the scribes, who like to go around in long robes and love greetings in marketplaces, seats of honor in synagogues, and places of honor at banquets.
They devour the houses of widows and, as a pretext, recite lengthy prayers. They will receive a very severe condemnation."

Leo tongue.gif

--------------------

Consistency. It's only a virtue if you're not a screwup.

Ita erat quando hic adveni.

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunatley it kills all its pupils. - Hector Berlioz

"No matter where you go, there you are." - R. Young

¡Visté! ¡Te lo dijé!
PMEmail Poster               
Raven 
Posted: 14-May-2004, 12:25 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Indianapolis, IN

male

QUOTE (RavenWing @ May 13 2004, 09:13 AM)
The funny thing is, I have no problem with someone benefitting from the hard work of others, I just have a problem with people neglecting theor responsibilities.

Hmmm I guess I didn't say that right unsure.gif big suprise tongue.gif

I'm sorry that these people are taking hard earned wages from good hearted honest working class people under false pretenses.

Like Leo said and like Roisen said. I think that they will get justice in the end.

Still sorry you had to go through that Ravenwing sad.gif

--------------------
He is no fool who gives up that which he can not keep to gain that which he cannot loose

www.arminta.net
PMEmail Poster               View My Space Profile.
MacEoghainn 
Posted: 14-May-2004, 04:54 PM
Quote Post

Fear-leanmhainn an Rìgh
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Cape Coral, Florida, USA, Planet Earth

male

QUOTE (Elspeth @ May 13 2004, 10:38 AM)

Let me wander even further offtopic.gif :
Mark 12:41-44 (KJV)
41 And Jesus sat over against the treasury, and beheld how the people cast money into the treasury: and many that were rich cast in much.
42 And there came a certain poor widow, and she threw in two mites, which make a farthing.
43 And he called unto him his disciples, and saith unto them, Verily I say unto you, That this poor widow hath cast more in, than all they which have cast into the treasury:
44 For all they did cast in of their abundance; but she of her want did cast in all that she had, even all her living.

God doesn't judge the amount, but instead he judges the heart of the giver.

--------------------
MacE
AKA
Steve Ewing

I know that my Redeemer lives, and that in the end he will stand upon the earth. Job 19:25

"Non sibi sed patriae!"

Reviresco (I grow strong again)
Clan MacEwen motto

Audaciter (Audacity)
My Ewing Family Motto
(descendants of Baron William Ewing of Glasgow, born about 1630)

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." Abraham Lincoln

"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." from "Epitoma Rei Militaris," by Vegetius

PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.
CelticRoz 
Posted: 21-May-2004, 03:43 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

I have a REAL problem with televangelists! I just do not like them at all and I get sick to death of hearing them beg for money! And half of them I do not agree with scripturally anyway.

RavenWing! don't forget about the pink haired lady either...lol I forget who she is the wife of! They are on Trinity Broadcast! Her outfits embarrass me to no end and that hair!

The only two preachers I listen to on television is Billy Graham and Dr. Charles Stanley.

PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Roisin-Teagan 
Posted: 22-May-2004, 11:25 AM
Quote Post

a ragamuffin of Eireann
Group Icon

ZodiacElder

female

QUOTE (CelticRose @ May 21 2004, 03:43 PM)
I have a REAL problem with televangelists! I just do not like them at all and I get sick to death of hearing them beg for money! And half of them I do not agree with scripturally anyway.

RavenWing! don't forget about the pink haired lady either...lol I forget who she is the wife of! They are on Trinity Broadcast! Her outfits embarrass me to no end and that hair!

The only two preachers I listen to on television is Billy Graham and Dr. Charles Stanley.

Hey Rose those are the only ones I watch as well. I've shook my head so many times at the Christian women with the Big hair and Big make-up eyes. We are suppose to be representives of Christ down here---not a side show at a Carnival.
PMEmail Poster               
Raven 
Posted: 22-May-2004, 11:40 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Indianapolis, IN

male

You Go R/T tongue.gif
PMEmail Poster               View My Space Profile.
CelticRoz 
Posted: 22-May-2004, 12:10 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

QUOTE (Roisin-Teagan @ May 22 2004, 12:25 PM)
QUOTE (CelticRose @ May 21 2004, 03:43 PM)
I have a REAL problem with televangelists! I just do not like them at all and I get sick to death of hearing them beg for money!  And half of them I do not agree with  scripturally anyway.

RavenWing! don't forget about the pink haired lady either...lol I forget who she is the wife of!  They are on Trinity Broadcast! Her outfits embarrass me to no end and that hair! 

Hey Rose those are the only ones I watch as well. I've shook my head so many times at the Christian women with the Big hair and Big make-up eyes. We are suppose to be representives of Christ down here---not a side show at a Carnival.

Isn't that the truth, Roisin! I am embarrassed sometimes of what our Christian brothers and sister do sometimes before the world.
Siobhan Blues 
Posted: 03-Jul-2004, 12:53 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

female

The only tv preacher I ever really liked was Billy Graham - didn't he rock! Poor guy, his health is getting bad now (doesn't he have Parkinson's disease!) and he's not preaching as much but I hope he'll continue to write.

SB

--------------------
"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king..."
user posted image

SGGardner Art

www.SouthernShireFarm.com
PM               
dfilpus 
Posted: 03-Jul-2004, 06:13 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

Realm: Chapel Hill NC

male

QUOTE (Siobhan Blues @ 03-Jul-2004, 01:53 PM)
The only tv preacher I ever really liked was Billy Graham - didn't he rock! Poor guy, his health is getting bad now (doesn't he have Parkinson's disease!) and he's not preaching as much but I hope he'll continue to write.

Agree that Billy Graham is the best of the lot. I am afraid that his writing is going to be hard going in the future. He can dictate to assistants, because physical manipulation is difficult, if not dangerous.

My mother has developed Parkinson's in the last year. She can no longer take care of herself physically. My father has to feed her and hold onto her when she walks without a walker. She has fallen twice. The first time she lost several teeth and has needed reconstructive surgery. The second time she broke her wrist. She cannot use a walker until the cast/splint comes off. It is a dreadful condition, to see a active mind locked in a body that cannot function.

--------------------
Näkemiin

Dave (SCA: Geoffrey Genour of Carney)
Protector of Bits and Bytes, Third cousin once removed to Phil, Prince of Insufficient Light

user posted image

Help out with the site! Win prizes!
Suggest videos at VideoCelt.com

Check out the outstanding video - Merchant Marine by Celtae
CelticRoz 
Posted: 03-Jul-2004, 06:31 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Oh Dilfus! I am so very very sorry to hear this about your mother. It must be so very difficult to see this. I lost my mother last week and I know a wee bit about your grief. There is nothing like your mother, no matter the relationship.
BluegrassLady 
Posted: 03-Jul-2004, 08:54 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

Realm: south central Kentucky

female

QUOTE (Siobhan Blues @ 03-Jul-2004, 02:53 PM)
The only tv preacher I ever really liked was Billy Graham - didn't he rock!
SB

I agree. Billy Graham is one of the few whom I trust

--------------------
With God............all things are possible
PMEmail Poster               
Roisin-Teagan 
Posted: 04-Jul-2004, 03:11 PM
Quote Post

a ragamuffin of Eireann
Group Icon

ZodiacElder

female

My sister-in-law said she read that Billy Graham doesn't have Parkinsons---it was misdiagnosed. What he does have was cured or treated with medication.

He is the best, and really the only real televangelist. He keeps it simple---just the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 04-Jul-2004, 04:49 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Wow! That is really great news about Billy Graham. I hope he has been cured of whatever he had. Don't see too much of him these days though, must be because of his age. I wonder if his son Franklin will start preaching in his place. He is wonderful too.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]