Posted: 03-Jun-2003, 08:52 AM
Quote Post

Guardian of Scotland :-)
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacRowan

Realm: Isle of Skye

female

Ahoi Catriona! Say, did ye hear that discussion on Leslie's programme on BBC Radio Scotland yesterday round about 12.30 ish? It was very interesting tho I heard only a part of it. It was about whether local radio stations should be allowed to read news and programms in their local dialects. Very enlightening and quite interesting - not to mention the hundreds of various dialects that must be around all over Scotland. If not - its likely to be somewhere on the BBC archives page mebbe. But it was something I thought that might interest you. It was a real wasps nest that Leslie dug into. No real conclusions came up because they ran out of time lol biggrin.gif cool.gif

--------------------
Scottish in Heart :-))

In the darkest heart the pride of man will walk allone

's ged tha mi fada bhuat cha dhealaich sinn a chaoidh

Darkover RPG
PMEmail Poster               
tartangal 
Posted: 03-Jun-2003, 09:40 AM
Quote Post

QUEEN OF SCOTLAND
Group Icon

ZodiacElder

Realm: Glasgow, Scotland

female

I didn't hear it but I wonder how far you could go with it......
Have you ever watched "Chewin the Fat" and seen the "subtitles for neds " part. Being a Glaswegian just the thought of it makes me shudder.
rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Jules

As a well-spent day brings happy sleep, so life well used brings happy death.
Leonardo da Vinci (1452 - 1519)
PMEmail Poster               
Jimmy Carbomb 
Posted: 03-Jun-2003, 10:11 AM
Quote Post

Barleyjuice ~ "Pog Mo Tunes"Publishing
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacOak

Realm: On The Road

male

Thank goodness I live where I do!!!
ohmy.gif
I couldn't imagine having programming without the local "flavor".
Anyone that's gone to the Carolinas and heard them... well...
biggrin.gif
I guess Howard Stern is a "no go" for the controlling Brits?

--------------------
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
Aon_Daonna 
Posted: 03-Jun-2003, 10:27 AM
Quote Post

The Wolf Lady

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacIvy

Realm: Fife, Scotland

female

*laughs* Hey, scottish dialects are way cool.
My BF speaks the thickest Fife you can ever imagine... and his sister, livin in Dumbarton an interesting mixture of both, Wegie and Fife *grins*

I needed weeks to learn how to understand Craig, as school-english speaker. When he came over to germany the first time he had to repeat everything 2-3 times! rolleyes.gif

His best friend comes from a wee wee place in the Highlands, which was a complete different accent so I had to get used to that, too! But I can keep scots-dialects from each other by now, but when it comes to other british dialects I can't keep a welshman from an irish lassie wink.gif

I didn't get to know "Chewin' the fat" until last christmas and Craig, his bro and his sis got me converted quite fast =)

--------------------
Moderator: The Playground (RPG)

Carpe Jugulum
Carved with a twisted smile
An epitaph for sorrow
Sethian - Epitaph

If anybody wants a costum signature, pm me!
PMEmail Poster               
Faileas 
  Posted: 03-Jun-2003, 03:16 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacRowan

female

biggrin.gif Och aye day after day after day .... dry.gif

So far i only know the first series but its a good laugh lol Hehehe i remember when i first was in Scotland in 1996 ( is it already that long ???) and i managed to smash the tyre of my hired car within two hours from picking it up i had a tough time first to understand the guy at the garage loooool . i think they must have thought me blind ignorant lol . but after listening more closely i could work out at least 70 percent of what was said alas rolleyes.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Catriona 
Posted: 03-Jun-2003, 04:19 PM
Quote Post

Banned Member

ZodiacBirch

Thanks for the info, FotW. I didn't hear the report - I'm afraid I don't have time to listen to the radio at work, due to my timetable.

I cannot see why we don't have local dialects though, if you look BBC television, their Scotland reporter for news speaks with a broad Islands accent..... If it's good enough for BBC TV...... why not radio? wink.gif biggrin.gif
PMEmail Poster               
MDF3530 
  Posted: 03-Jun-2003, 05:06 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Midlothian, IL

male

A question: How many of you have seen the movies Fargo and Drop Dead Gorgeous? Those two movies are fair assessments of the speech patterns in the states of Minnesota and Wisconsin. I know because I have relatives in Minnesota and I went to college in Wisconsin.

--------------------
Mike F.

May the Irish hills caress you.
May her lakes and rivers bless you.
May the luck of the Irish enfold you.
May the blessings of Saint Patrick behold you.

user posted image
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Aon_Daonna 
Posted: 04-Jun-2003, 03:43 PM
Quote Post

The Wolf Lady

ZodiacIvy

female

Hehe, I like their reporter that usually reports when something happens in Lochaber =) She has a cool voice...

As far as Americans are concerned, I can keep a Texan from someone who comes from somewhere else, that's as far as it goes with me wink.gif

FotW: me and my family were in finnland and the same happened... try to get through to a finn that your car wrecked when that finn is A not speaking German, B not speaking english and C you understan NO word of finnish *laughs*
PMEmail Poster               
tartangal 
Posted: 05-Jun-2003, 12:18 PM
Quote Post

QUEEN OF SCOTLAND
Group Icon

ZodiacElder

Realm: Glasgow, Scotland

female

My father is Irish ,he comes from Donegal and we have a holiday house there so I am usually very good with the various accents in Ireland. A couple of years ago I went down to Cork for the weekend but I had huge problems understanding what was being said to me.The accent , to my ears, sounded almost Welsh. I gets a bit embarrassing cos you can only say "I'm sorry?" and "pardon?" so many times without it becoming rude. blink.gif
PMEmail Poster               
free2Bme 
Posted: 05-Jun-2003, 01:22 PM
Quote Post

Queen of Janetania

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Gulf Coast of Florida

female

Living here in Florida USA has given me a bit of a language complex myself! I can empathize with not being able to understand the various dialects. I went to a restaurant recently and the server went through this long litany of things regarding the menu and all I could do was stare at him! I know he was speaking English, but I did not understand one single word he said! We have people here from all over the world, and going to WalMart can seem like a visit to the Towel of Babel - the din of it all!

--------------------
RPG Anne O'Calahan
PMEmail Poster               
Faileas 
  Posted: 06-Jun-2003, 10:50 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacRowan

female

I love that quote of James Barrie, Janet! Heheheehe, thats a good one. Where do ye find all these quotes? dry.gif rolleyes.gif
Aye - t must be worse in the States with the dialects. grin, but i suppose its in every country like that. People from Bremen have usually difficulties in understanding Suebians or Bavarions, and the Cologne dialect as well as the "Platt" of Northern Friesland are all but unintelligible to a "Spaetzleschwob" like me hehe, even tho i emigrated dry.gif
PMEmail Poster               
free2Bme 
Posted: 08-Jun-2003, 07:19 AM
Quote Post

Queen of Janetania

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Gulf Coast of Florida

female

QUOTE (free2Bme @ Jun 5 2003, 04:22 PM)
I went to a restaurant recently and the server went through this long litany of things regarding the menu and all I could do was stare at him! I know he was speaking English, but I did not understand one single word he said!

The worst part about it all was that the guy was from here in the USA - not a foriegner from another country! I think he was from New York or something, because he talked really fast, and his enunication of syllables threw me! I could not understand one word, not one iota of what he was trying to say to me.

I just smiled and shrugged and managed my way through it somehow. When people hear my Appalachian dialect, and my slow southern accent, they tend to think I am a stupid, hillbilly, hick. So I don't say a whole lot unless I am with friends whom I know and trust.
PMEmail Poster               
Aon_Daonna 
Posted: 11-Jun-2003, 12:10 PM
Quote Post

The Wolf Lady

ZodiacIvy

female

I got family all over germany which makes me understand alot of the different accents but fast spoken "friesisch" makes me feel helpless biggrin.gif

Me and Craig have been up to Northern Ireland 2 years ago, when his cousin married... that was the first time for me to actually hear an irish accent.

When it comes to english accents... I really don't like Oxford English... And I was completely lost on Birmingham Airport... that is hardly a language wink.gif

PMEmail Poster               
maggiemahone1 
Posted: 12-Jun-2003, 05:30 AM
Quote Post

High Queen of Ireland

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Southern West Virginia

female

Janet, don't be ashamed of your Appalachian dialect. I'm from the hills too so if I'm out amongst thos citiy dudes, I just d r a w it out a little bit more! laugh.gif

maggiemahone1
PMEmail Poster                View My Space Profile.
barddas 
Posted: 13-Jun-2003, 08:51 AM
Quote Post

Offical sacrifice to the guitar gods-Play til you bleed

ZodiacWillow

Realm: second star to the right, straight until morning

male

Janet, don't ever think that! I travel to the Appalachians 3-4 times a year... And I LOVE the dialect. I hope to move there some day. It is where I feel most comfortable and at home. My family comes from the WV area of the Apps. So, it's in me blood.. wink.gif

Oh yeah! Not to mention a lady with a southern draw.....

MMmmmmmm smile.gif

--------------------
BARDDAS BLOG/WEB SITE

Co Founder/Member of the KDC

Music is holy, art is sacred, and creativity is power

Everyday is EARTH DAY to a farmer

"Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much."
Oscar Wilde

Some men are drawn to oceans, they cannot breathe unless the air is scented with a salty mist. Others are drawn to land that is flat, and the air is sullen and is leaden as August. My people were drawn to mountains- Earl Hamner Jr.

PMEmail Poster                
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]