Posted: 26-Oct-2004, 11:19 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Kentucky

male

You folks (perticularly OR and CR) have been giving me ideas. I'm not much of a photographer, but my dad has libraries of photo's he's taken that I think you all would enjoy. I finally thought lesterday to ask him for permission to post some of them on here. I also showed him OR's and CR's threads. He agreed to let me post the ones that didn't have family in them smile.gif

It'll take a while to resize all of them to be able to put online, but when he saw CR's pic of Hopi House, he showed me where he had taken the *exact* same shot while on vacation a couple months ago. As well as one of the Canyon from the same location as CR. I'll see if I can go ahead and post those two here before I hit the sack.

--------------------
Poet and seeker of knowledge

PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
Aaediwen 
Posted: 26-Oct-2004, 11:35 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacHolly

male

Here's the two I was talking about. I shrank them to 50% original to be easier for our friends on dial-up:
http://www.aaediwen.com/dadpics/HopiHouse.JPG

http://www.aaediwen.com/dadpics/Canyon.JPG
urian 
Posted: 26-Oct-2004, 11:49 AM
Quote Post

heretic. lurker in the shadows
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Texas

male

*wanders of to go check something with a great big question mark over his head*

--------------------
'Dying for being different is still better than living as a Sheep'-anon
PMEmail Poster               
Aaediwen 
Posted: 28-Oct-2004, 11:48 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacHolly

male

OK, call me lazy but I spent a while getting X working over SSH so I could lay in bed with the laptop and work on resizing these pics for posting. Got it working (quite well I might add)

I went through some directories of pics my dad has on his hard drive and picked out some I thought you folks might be interested in. There's far too many to post in the thread here (haven't checked if the gallery would work), but I put them on my server for all to enjoy. file sizes range from approx 150k - nearly 500k. A far cry from the 2-4+ MB most of them started out at. Figured that was a bit big for posting online where someone might be viewing over dial-up wink.gif

http://www.aaediwen.com/dadpics/

Fl-Carrib contains pics from their vacation in 2k2
Arizona is pics from a couple months ago
newmex contains pics taken probably sometime in the mid-late 70's, maybe really early 80's, but I doubt they're that recent.
urian 
Posted: 28-Oct-2004, 12:23 PM
Quote Post

heretic. lurker in the shadows
Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Texas

male

absolutely beautiful pictures
PMEmail Poster               
Annham 
Posted: 28-Oct-2004, 08:44 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacHazel

female

Beautiful pics Aaedwin, The Canyon looks like I could just walk in... I wish I could.
Anne angel_not.gif

--------------------
“This is my simple religion. There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness.”

~ Dalai Lama
21st century spiritual and political leader of Tibet and Nobel Peace Prize winner (1989)
PMEmail Poster               
oldraven 
Posted: 29-Oct-2004, 08:20 AM
Quote Post

The Protector of the Unknown
Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Guysborough Co., Nova Scotia

male

Excellent!

Hah! Those really are the exact same photos. (I bet a lot of people get those ones too)

There you go CR, now you've got to get a picture of the hopi house from the roof of the building across the street. wink.gif

I'm quite taken with this one. wink.gif It's a great capture of a regal animal. Or at least he apears that way here. And this is just far too familiar to look at without it hitting deep (dead on the beaches at home).

This is just too awesome for words. The curve of the track draws your eye along the arc to the point where the beautiful colours are almost an after thought. This one is perfectly framed and balanced. The contrasts, the near and far, and the fact that the bush doesn't obscure the mountain at all is amazing.

Does your dad have a film scanner or something? And what kind of camera did he take those older images with?

--------------------
Caw

"I am a Canadian by birth, but I am a Highlander by blood and feel under an obligation to do all I can for the sake of the Highlanders and their literature.... I have never yet spoken a word of English to any of my children. They can speak as much English as they like to others, but when they talk to me they have to talk in Gaelic."

-Alexander Maclean Sinclair of Goshen (protector of Gaelic Culture)

We need more Stan Rogers.

jams
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 01-Nov-2004, 06:02 AM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Wow! Aaediwen! I looked at every photo and enjoyed them immensely! Makes me want to go back to the Grand Canyon and the Hopi House again! Thank you so much for sharing those Aaediwen. I was impressed how your dad was able to get a shot of the Hopi House with no people around. That was the biggest problem I had when I tried to photograph it........people kept being in my way! dry.gif

Aaediwen! did your dad take the train to the Grand Canyon do you know? I ask because I took many of the same shots as he did of the big hole!

Excellent, excellent photos! Loved the one of the raven too!

Next time I want to spend the night up there and take sunset and sunrise photos! Has your dad done that yet? I bet he will! smile.gif
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Aaediwen 
Posted: 01-Nov-2004, 11:06 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacHolly

male

It's a great capture of a regal animal. Or at least he apears that way here.

My parents have a way I think of finding wild animals who want their picture taken. Mom said he posed there for some time while dad took the shot smile.gif

Does your dad have a film scanner or something? And what kind of camera did he take those older images with?

Yup, dedicated film scanner. And then a flatbed as well for scanning prints. He's got so many more too that it's not funny. I'm not sure the exact model of the camera dad used prior to getting his Rebel, but I'll see if I can locate it and get that for you. I think he's got it upstairs. I know it's an Olympus 35mm
Aaediwen 
Posted: 01-Nov-2004, 11:10 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacHolly

male

Aaediwen! did your dad take the train to the Grand Canyon do you know?

They drove pretty much everywhere and haven't said anything about ever getting on a train during that trip.

Next time I want to spend the night up there and take sunset and sunrise photos! Has your dad done that yet?

I'll have to look again, but I don't recall any canyon pics during sunrise or sunset. Several pics with a storm over part of the canyon though smile.gif
CelticRoz 
Posted: 01-Nov-2004, 12:26 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Oh, Ok! It is amazing how the lighting over the canyon changes from one hour to the next and then the weather can change just as rapidly! such an awesome place to be. I never appreciated it when I was a youngster. I just saw it as this big hole in the ground and said eh?! Now I look at it with complete awe! I see in your dad's pics that he had puffy white clouds too, like my photos did have! Those are Arizona clouds as we Arizonians like to refer to them as! wink.gif biggrin.gif

Looking forward to seeing more of your dad's pics! thumbs_up.gif

If your dad would like next time he goes to the Canyon, he should take the train trip from Williams, Az to the there. It is a really nice trip and lots of entertainment. The only problem is that you only have 3 hours to spend at the canyon if you are going just for the day. Best to stay the night at one of the hotels there and you can get some really awesome photos!
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Aaediwen 
Posted: 07-Nov-2004, 10:17 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacHolly

male

QUOTE (oldraven @ 29-Oct-2004, 09:20 AM)
And what kind of camera did he take those older images with?

Olympus OM10

35-200mm lens
He also has a 35-70mm lens for it downstairs too. This was his staple camera until he got the Cannon Rebel he uses now. My entire life, whenever we were going somewhere worthwhile, that camera was along with us. That's dad's camera. The most I've ever touched it has been to hold or carry it (never very far). I've never taken a picture with it in the 24 years we've both been around.
dragonboy3611 
Posted: 08-Nov-2004, 02:58 PM
Quote Post

A Friend to who needs one.
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacBirch

Realm: USA, New York

male

I see all the replies about the beatiful photos, and I really want to see them! My browser keeps getting an error and won't load the page though sad.gif

*tear*

--------------------
"Men at some time are masters of their fate"
Jul Caesar, Act i, Sc.2

"When sorrow comes, they come not single spies, but in battalions"
Hamlet, Act iv, Sc.5

"All that lives must die, passing through nature to eternity"
Hamlet, Act i, Sc.2
PMEmail Poster               
Aaediwen 
Posted: 08-Nov-2004, 03:14 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacHolly

male

My connection had just cycled. Give it 30 minutes ti an hour for the DNS update and you should be able to see them.
Haldur 
Posted: 01-Jan-2005, 06:26 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Grayson, KY

male

Those pics are fantastic! They're so vivid and beautiful.

--------------------
Haldr, Traveller of the Great Forest

"After all is said and done, a lot more will be said than done."

- Unknown

user posted image
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]