Posted: 25-Sep-2004, 09:21 AM
Quote Post

Mistress of the North Winds
Group Icon

Group: Galicia
ZodiacIvy

Realm: New Jersey

female

I am just starting to learn the guitar, and I got all the way through the book teaching myself chords. So now I am getting songs from different people I know that have the chords written in, but I don't know how to play some of them. Is there a place to find a chart or something with all or most of the chords? And what does "sus" mean?

Confused,
Leslie

unsure.gif
PMEmail Poster                
birddog20002001 
Posted: 25-Sep-2004, 06:54 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Isle of Man
ZodiacRowan

Realm: North Carolina

male

well i'm not nutch of a musician but I can find things so try this

A really common imrovisational tool is to use smaller cells / structures instead of complete scales . One frequently used, is a structure made of three notes 1, 4 and 5. Starting from C, that would be C, F and G, this is called a SUS structure. If your scale of the moment is C Ionian, see how many SUS structures that are contained in that particular scale, you have:

Csus ( C F G ), Dsus ( D G A ), Esus ( E A B ), Gsus ( G C D ) and Asus ( A D E ) Fits on: CMaj7

If it's Lydian, you have all the above plus:

Bsus ( B E F# ) Fits on: CMaj7(#11)

If it's Dorian you have:

Csus ( C F G ), Dsus ( D G A ), Fsus ( F Bb C ), Gsus ( G C D ), Bbsus ( Bb Eb F )

Complete this list with every scale YOU frequently use (Altered, Spanish, Phrygian, Eolian etc.).

Note that in some scales no SUS structures exist, as in Symetrical Diminished (half/whole and whole/half ), Symetrical Augmented, Wholetone and others.

To start with, you assign specific SUS structures on the chords you're improvising on, that is; you don't start with every structure available. You can even just start to play in one Mode, and choose a SUS structure to work with so that you get a handle on it, it's really not all that easy as it may seem, with six notes you cover two octaves if you're going in one direction, just like regular triads, alot of work here.

so from what i get is that it is the major sounds in a chord (which varies in the different scales being used)

It is wery difficult to find "ALL" of the chords there are just so many possible combinations and so many fret positions to start from any music store should have a large poster with a list of a hundred chords or so. but I believe that there are books that show the major chords and patterns in a particular genre or style of music. i.e. 12 bar blues

blues chord progression

blues progression 2

here is a site that may help you find a chord fret position
chord finder

best of luck and don't feel overwhelmed.

--------------------
"when a person is prepared to die for a cause, and indeed to glory in such a death, it impossible to supress him or the cause it represents." Jawaharlal Nehru

"Only the suppressed word is dangerous." Ludwig Borne

"All of our freedoms are a single bundle, all must be secure if any is to be preserved." Dwight David Eisenhower

"All men's souls are immortal, but the souls of the righteous are both immortal and divine." Socrates
PMEmail Poster               
MacAibhistin 
Posted: 25-Sep-2004, 07:14 PM
Quote Post

Knight of the Round Table

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacOak

Realm: northern Canada - somewhere between the treeline and civilisation

male

Hey Cori,

Try this site, I've found it very helpful.

http://www.chordfind.com/

Rory
PMEmail Poster               
cori 
Posted: 26-Sep-2004, 05:09 PM
Quote Post

Mistress of the North Winds
Group Icon

Group: Galicia
ZodiacIvy

Realm: New Jersey

female

Thanks guys! That looks like it will help me for quite some time.

--------------------

Leslie

~That would be an awfully big adventure.

~Time is what keeps everything from happening all at once.
PMEmail Poster                
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]