Posted: 29-Sep-2005, 07:46 AM
Quote Post

The Protector of the Unknown
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Guysborough Co., Nova Scotia

male

After my third 35mm Minolta XG-1(9) SLR, two of which decided they didn't need light seals anymore, I made the switch to the digital age. I've had my Minolta Dimage E323 for a little over a year, and it has been a great camera. But it's point and shoot. I gave my only good working XG-1 to my sister, when I got the XG-9 and all its goodies. So now I'm left with a beautiful to look at XG-9 and three lenses that I can't use. The majority of the seven rolls of film I took on vacation had severe over exposure.

So this is what I got last night. Minolta, I still love you. And when (not if) I get myself another 35mm, I'll be getting a Maxxum. Take comfort in that. But for digital SLR's, you can't beat the feature/quality/$ value of a Canon.

I got a Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT 8.0mp. I've only had it for about twelve hours, but I LOVE it!

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

I got the silver one. I'm hoping my flash works with it. It has a build in one, if not.

--------------------
Caw

"I am a Canadian by birth, but I am a Highlander by blood and feel under an obligation to do all I can for the sake of the Highlanders and their literature.... I have never yet spoken a word of English to any of my children. They can speak as much English as they like to others, but when they talk to me they have to talk in Gaelic."

-Alexander Maclean Sinclair of Goshen (protector of Gaelic Culture)

We need more Stan Rogers.

jams
PMEmail Poster               
stoirmeil 
Posted: 29-Sep-2005, 09:14 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

Realm: New York

When you have the talent and the eye -- which I think you do -- you might as well have the best instrument you can get. Good shooting! Hope we see some of the images. (Planning any fall foliage tours?)
PMEmail Poster               
oldraven 
Posted: 29-Sep-2005, 10:52 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

male

QUOTE (stoirmeil @ 29-Sep-2005, 08:14 AM)
(Planning any fall foliage tours?)

Actually, on the way home I'll be making a stop. biggrin.gif

I've got to fix that picture. I posted the 350D instead of the Rebel XT. It's the identical camera, though.

user posted image
PMEmail Poster               
AShruleEgan 
Posted: 29-Sep-2005, 05:42 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacRowan

Realm: Winston-Salem, North Carolina

male

Annabelle has a very nice Canon set up and it takes beautiful pictures. The only problem that I see with everything she has, she needs to buy another seat on a plane for bringing it along. She has multiple lens and filters and it's happy hernia time trying to carry it all around.

At the Bethlehem Celtic Fest, Annabelle decided to only bring two lens and a filter or two. She left the bag back at the room. Still, with that medium lens on, hanging over her shoulder, I got whacked a few times. SHE'S DANGEROUS with that thing. biggrin.gif

PMEmail Poster               
j Padraig moore 
Posted: 30-Sep-2005, 10:38 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

OR,
How are you liking your new canon?
I still shoot film, but honestly would like to switch to digital. Alas, my wife is totally opposed to digital! She hates it!!
Why does that matter? For one, I have a degree in photography. Worked in it a number of years (Been out of it for almost 19 years now though). She has always been a photo buff and is knowledgable about photography - more than the typical guy on the street. So she knows what she is talking about. She has decided she does not like digital and simply, if she doesn't like it, then I cannot make the switch. Does that make sense?
She would never approve of spending the money on a good digital SLR.

Anyway, let us know how it is going.
PMEmail Poster               
oldraven 
Posted: 30-Sep-2005, 11:08 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

male

JPM, I can say this much. This picture was taken at 34" x 23" (roughly). That's 2496 x 1664, and that's what Canon considers 'low resolution'. Of course, Photobucket had to resize it, as they only take pictures under 250kb. I've included a cropped version that was shrunken down to 800x800 to show clarity. These pictures are 100% stock/undoctored (and taken while still trying to figure the thing out). That's something I can't say from my other work in my photo thread. They were taken while in full auto mode, so imagine the control you can have over this. I've found new buttons that I've never even heard of. smile.gif

user posted image

user posted image

35mm is the equivalent of 6.0mp, so anything above that is leaving film behind. I'm still a 35mm fan. There's something about putting light to a solid medium that gives it a quality all its own. Plus, the classic feel of loading film is lost on most people in this age.

But the bottom line is, who's camera will it be? Hers, or yours? wink.gif Do what you want. Trust me, my wife didn't like the idea of a $1200 camera. laugh.gif

user posted image
PMEmail Poster               
Aaediwen 
Posted: 30-Sep-2005, 06:30 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Kentucky

male

My dad's camera, which I nab for most occasions when I can, is a 6 MP version of the same camera. I can't say I've been disappointed in any way. Although, who am I to say. But dad seems the same way, and he knows his photography!

--------------------
Poet and seeker of knowledge

PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
j Padraig moore 
Posted: 03-Oct-2005, 10:10 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Thanks OR. Those are great!
I need to do something soon though - I just got a "commission" from the local doctors office. He wants some photos of the community to put up in the office!
I am actually pretty excited about it. He suggested sending the files to Shutterfly and letting them produce 16x20s that we can frame.

Any thoughts?
PMEmail Poster               
stoirmeil 
Posted: 03-Oct-2005, 10:37 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

QUOTE (j Padraig moore @ 30-Sep-2005, 11:38 AM)
She has decided she does not like digital and simply, if she doesn't like it, then I cannot make the switch. Does that make sense?
She would never approve of spending the money on a good digital SLR.

unsure.gif Not a lot of sense, I don't think, since you would be the one using it. Unless money is the only issue.

Now this is an interesting thing I didn't think about. I'm no photographer, but I love the finished work as art, all kinds of things. When you use film, you still have the developing part of the work to manipulate the image further, don't you? For light and contrast and all that? I suppose with digital you could do anything you want after the fact, but is it still the same art?

OR, that is so bigtime your kid. biggrin.gif She is going to look more like you every year.
PMEmail Poster               
oldraven 
Posted: 03-Oct-2005, 10:42 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

male

I'm not sure how their full size prints are, but I just got my first prints with this camera processed at Wall Mart (the evil). It's easy as pie. There's an ATM like thing that you insert your memory card into, you pick the pictures you want at whatever size/finish you want, in whatever quantities you need. 4X6's are 25c a piece, and are as crisp and clean as any 35mm I've ever seen.

Digi SLR's are getting upwards of 11mp all the way to 16mp now. That's nearly three times the resolution of 35mm. If you do large print commissions, I'd to with one of the 11mp's. smile.gif That was beyond my need, and my price range.

stoirmeil, I can only take that as a compliment. biggrin.gif I see a lot of Ange in her, but her expressions are all me. And I hope she continues to take after her Mum. She doesn't need the fiery part of my personality (though Ange has almost as much spark). Then again, her middle name is 'little fiery one'. unsure.gif Oh well, I'm sure it'll make life interesting, at any rate.

king.gif
PMEmail Poster               
j Padraig moore 
Posted: 03-Oct-2005, 10:52 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

QUOTE (stoirmeil @ 03-Oct-2005, 11:37 AM)

[/QUOTE]
unsure.gif Not a lot of sense, I don't think, since you would be the one using it. Unless money is the only issue.

Frankly, my wife is my toughest photography critic. We have had some photos taken of the kids, for school, sports, etc that were digital. She was not impressed with the quality at all! I think they were 8 mp.
I just know it would be a really hard-sell to convince her to spend that kind of money a good digital camera.
PMEmail Poster               
oldraven 
Posted: 03-Oct-2005, 11:20 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

male

Five very important words.

"30 day money back guarantee."

thumbs_up.gif
PMEmail Poster               
j Padraig moore 
Posted: 04-Oct-2005, 10:16 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

QUOTE (stoirmeil @ 03-Oct-2005, 11:37 AM)
[/QUOTE]

Stormeil,
I've thought a little more about your comment. I guess for me, it is important what she thinks, that is if she really doesn't like digital, then it is important for me not to use a system she does not approve of.
The photographs we take are very important to her.
PMEmail Poster               
oldraven 
Posted: 04-Oct-2005, 10:34 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

male

J. Tell your wife to open her mind and at least try it. You make her sound like a tyrant. You don't have a say? I hate to stir up trouble, but it sounds like one of those 'foot down' moments to me. I can't see any harm in trying something new. shutup.gif Why would something so trivial as digital vs. film be such an issue where you are afraid to even try it.

If she's worried about not being able to print them to paper, I can say my prints from cheap-o wall mart are every bit as good as any 35mm prints I've ever seen. With the options today, the only issue I can come up with is fear of change. sad.gif

Bottom line, it's your life. This is just what I'd do. Do what's right for you. (I can't believe this got so serious)

If you could ask her for some solid reasons why she dislikes digital photography so much, I'd like to hear them. To see if I can address some of them to find out if her fears are valid. smile.gif In the mean time, I'd like to point you toward a good friend of mine from Adelaide Australia who takes some amazing digital photography. Perhaps that may help.

http://adam1975.deviantart.com/gallery/
PMEmail Poster               
stoirmeil 
Posted: 04-Oct-2005, 11:40 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

QUOTE (j Padraig moore @ 04-Oct-2005, 11:16 AM)
I guess for me, it is important what she thinks, that is if she really doesn't like digital, then it is important for me not to use a system she does not approve of.
The photographs we take are very important to her.

Well, then it IS important not to make the investment until or unless she wants to rethink it. I'm inclined to think about it more the way OR does, except every marriage is unique, and if you have a good respectful understanding the way you are, the camera thing really could get to be a bigger issue than it seems from the outside, and not worth it. I wonder, though -- can you rent equipment to try it out? And make sure to shoot important images both ways while you try it out.
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]