> Rental Housing
Camac
Posted: 29-Oct-2009, 02:34 PM
Quote Post

Main: Registration
Questions: Help
Important: Rules

Zodiac

I would like to ask if any of my American friends are conversant with the Topic of Rental Housing. I am the Property Manager/Superintendent of a small apartment building, 32 Units. Although it is small in comparision the work never stops. The building is 40 years old and a great many of the internal systems are fast approaching the end of their servicability. I am also responsible for all rents and administration of the building.

Rental Housing here in Ontario falls under the perview of the Provincial Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing. It is the Ministry's function when it comes to Housing to enforce the laws governing Landlords and Tenants. The Tenant Protection Act spells out precisely what a Landlord can and cannot do and what a Tenants rights are. It also controls rents. When an apartment is available for rent a Landlord may charge whatever the market will bear but once occupied the apartment falls under Rent Control. Each year in October the Ministry publishes what percentage rents may be increased. For 2010 it is 2.1% or $21.00 on a thousand. Rents can be increased above the Ministry's setting but it is a complicated affair in which the Landlord must justify the increase and the Tenants have the right to appeal. It also sets out the rules governing eviction which, depending on the circumstances can take from 3 weeks to 3 months. Long gone are the days when a Landlord could throw your belongings out on the street. Even our Sherriff cannot throw you out merely oversee the changing the lock on the door. We do not have security deposits in Ontario merely first and last months rent. If a tenants is evicted for non-payment of rent a Landlord must take them to small claims court and if a judgement is given it is up to the Landlord to collect it.Only if a wage garnishee is ordered will the court collect and even that is no guarantee that the person will pay. He/She merely has to quit their job and the process starts all over again.

Camac

Patch 
Posted: 29-Oct-2009, 08:24 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacIvy

Realm: America, Mid West

male

We have subsidized housing here in which the govt is involved. There is one building in my community and it is mostly occupied by low income seniors.

Others are private rentals which are rented for what the market will bear. At this time with at least 2500 houses vacant in a community of 26,000 that is not much. Now many families are living together in crowded situations because of unemployment. A person down the street from me has three families living in a three bedroom rental house.I believe there are 9 or more people in the house.

Those I know who own rental properties say that eviction is hard to accomplish. Also most feel that as long as people are paying some rent, it is better to take what they can get. I doubt that all landlords feel that way though.

One person who I know well has just over 100 rentals and they are only a bit over 30% occupied. He told me a couple of months ago that this is the worst he has seen things in 40 years. He also said that if he had not been in the business for 40 years, and had quit pulling equity out 5 years ago, this would bankrupt him. He used to limit the number of people who could live in a rental for safety and other reasons. Now, if they will let him inspect the property every couple of months, he waives that portion of the lease.

Tenants here have rights which I believe vary from state to state, and most must sign lease agreements. I suppose there are problems but I have not heard of any in the last several years.

Slàinte,    

Patch     

PMEmail Poster               
Camac
Posted: 30-Oct-2009, 05:51 PM
Quote Post

Main: Registration
Questions: Help
Important: Rules

Zodiac

Patch;

In the 15 years I have been managing this building I have never had an empty apartment unless we have kept it so to do renovations. I just rented 2 apartments a 1 Bedroom and a 2 Bedroom. One of the new tenants rented for the 1st of Nov. but cannot move in until the 1st of October when his current agreement expires. In this building we do not have leases just rental agreements that can only be legally broken with 60 days notice in writing and upon occupancy first and last months rent must be paid. Evictions are another matter. It seems that the tenant has more rights than the Landlord in that area.

Camac.

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]