Group Icon

Group: Administrator
ZodiacOak

Realm: Toronto, CAN

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #74
224,071 Gold!

Background: It is said that the name is Norman and is first recorded in the barony of Chieseholme in Roxburghshire. The head of the Chisholm clan is called "The Chisholm". This line survived as Scott-Chisholme, until the end of the 19th century, when the last Border chief, Colonel John Chisholm, was killed in a charge at Elandslaagte in South Africa.

The family moved north from the Borders, and by 1339 Sir Robert de Chisholme was Constable of Urquhart Castle on Loch Ness. His grandson Thomas, became the first Chisholm chief of the clan, which had the lands of Strathglass and Glen Cannich for the next four centuries.

In 1887, Roderick, the chief, died without an heir and after the estates had passed through the female line, they were eventually sold.

The clan headquarters are at Cnoc-an-Fhurain, Barcaldine, Argyllshire. The current chief of the Chisholm clan lives in Bury St Edmunds in Suffolk.

Variations: Chesolme, Cheishame, Chesom, Cheisholme, Chesome, Chesehelme, Chessam, Cheseim, Chessame, Cheshelme, Chesseholme, Chesholme, Chisholm, Chesim, Chisholme, Cheishelm, Chism, Cheseholm, Chisolm, Chesholm, Chesolm, Chesame, Cheshelm, Cheshom, Chisolme, Chisomme, Chissem, Chissim, Chissolme, Sheshelm, Schisolme, Schisholme, Schishome, Shisholme, Schisome.

More Info: http://heraldry.celticradio.net/search.php?id=201

Discussion of this family is welcomed.

--------------------
Celtic Radio DJ
http://www.CelticRadio.net
Celtic Radio Music Network
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteRead My Blog View My Photographs               View my Facebook Profile.View my Linked-In Profile.View my Google plus Profile.View my Twitter Profile.View My Space Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
Camac
Posted: 11-May-2009, 07:33 AM
Quote Post

Main: Registration
Questions: Help
Important: Rules

Zodiac

As an aside; The Town I live in , Oakville, Ontario, was founded by a Chisholm. In truth he stole it from the Missasauga Indians. He later obtained a contract from the Royal Navy to supply Red and White Oak timbers for ship building and amassed a small fortune. The Mississauga understood that the Treaty they had signed merely lent the land to Chisholm and when they asked for it back he called in the Militia and had the leaders arrested and the Tribe driven from the land. The Mississauga didn't really know what they were signing as none read or wrote English.

Camac.

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Fast ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]