WizardofOwls 
Posted: 30-Jul-2004, 07:24 PM
Quote Post

Wanderer and Vagabond

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacVine

Realm: Wytheville, Virginia

male

I've already posted this thread over in the Kirk and Chapel, but at the moment I am in need of as much support as I can get, so I am posting it here too. I hope that's okay! unsure.gif

Hello my friends. I just got back from a trip to the doctor, and I'm afraid the news wasn't too good!

As a child I had asthma, but luckily I grew out of it. In addition, I used to be a heavy smoker. Smoked about 2 packs a day for around 15 years. I know, not too bright with a history of asthma, but I've never been accused of being the smartest guy around!

Around seven years ago, I started working in a plastics-manufacturing factory. A lot of the chemicals we work in are pretty toxic, so we have to wear respirators. As a precaution, the company sends us every year for checkups and breathing tests, just to be sure that wearing a respirator isn't too hard on us!

I've been with the company for almost 7 years now, and my checkups have never been the greatest. They keep telling me that I have some moderate blockage that interferes with my breathing but not bad enough to make me stop wearing a respirator. About 4 years ago, at one of these checkups, I was told that I have the lungs of a 94 year old man! I was only 35 at the time! As you can probably guess this was the incentive I needed to quit!

Well about two weeks ago it was annual check up time again. The doc told me I had the lungs of a 102 year old man! I was hoping to see some improvement after four years without a puff, not to see it going the other way! Well, the doctor told me I needed to see my family doctor for additional testing.

I just got back and the news was pretty scary. She told me that she thinks I'm in the early stages of emphysema. Luckily, though, she said that since I have quit smoking, that chances are it won't get much worse than it is now. I had to go today for some chest x-rays and have to go in a couple of weeks for some more breathing tests to be sure.

I'm trying to hold on to my faith and remember that I have a Greater Physician than these, but the word emphysema frightens me almost as bad as cancer does. I've seen too many people struggling to get another breath from this thing, and it scares the daylights out of me. I would greatly appreciate your prayers in this matter!

--------------------
Slàn agus beannachd,
Allen R. Alderman

'S i Alba tìr mo chridhe. 'S i Gàidhlig cànan m' anama.
Scotland is the land of my heart. Gaelic is the language of my soul.
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
maggiemahone1 
Posted: 30-Jul-2004, 07:51 PM
Quote Post

High Queen of Ireland

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Southern West Virginia

female

WizardofOwls, such sad news! sad.gif I know how bad that emphysema is. I live in what used to be a booming coal mining area and I have seen many coal miner's suffer from this. My own husband has black lung from working in the mines. It's good that you have stopped smoking and would be better if you could find another job. I know that is easier said than done. Are you on any breathing med's such as inhalers or a nebulizer? They help my hubby quite a bit. My best to you and keep the faith. biggrin.gif

maggiemahone1
PMEmail Poster                View My Space Profile.
celtica 
Posted: 31-Jul-2004, 02:23 AM
Quote Post

Lady of the mists
Group Icon

Group: Brittany
ZodiacOak

Realm: Brest - Brittany

female

Oh Wizard, what a terrible new ! You must be in such anguish ! sad.gif
And after all the efforts you made to stop smoking...

Maggiemahone is right i'm sure it will be better for your health if you could find another job, all these chemichals have bad effects, even on a healthy person...
But to help you to keep your good spirits remember that your family doctor said that things won't get worse, and with the treatment, maybe they'll improve a little. smile.gif

Because this stupid ocean between us prevents me to help you more directly, be sure you'll be in my thoughts and prayers my friend. user posted image

--------------------
Que restera-t-il de notre sang mêlé au sel, sans trace dans les mémoires ? Une ultime navigation, trompeuse. Et des souvenirs, illuminés d'embruns. Mais condamnés au silence de la mer... Loïc Finaz.
user posted image
PMEmail Poster               
TheCarolinaScotsman 
Posted: 31-Jul-2004, 08:16 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: North Carolina

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #76
42,063 Gold!

Wizard

You know you have a few truckloads of friends here and we're all pulling for you. I told you this before but left out one part. Try not to worry, do what your doctor says, live your life the best you know how, leave the rest to God, and be joyful. There is so much beauty in this world, from a mountain sunset to a child's trusting hand in yours, that all else pales by comparison.

--------------------
TheCarolinaScotsman

Ya'll drive safe and come back soon.
tsargent62 
Posted: 31-Jul-2004, 08:22 AM
Quote Post

Lord Socknoggle

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Lake Orion, Michigan

male

I can't imagine how scary this must be for you. Be sure you'll be in my prayers my friend.
PMEmail Poster               
greenldydragon 
Posted: 31-Jul-2004, 09:31 AM
Quote Post

Mistress of Dragons
Group Icon

Group: Wales
ZodiacHazel

female

So Sad!! At least it won't get worse, at least that is what the doctor says. You really should see if you can get another job, like maggimahone1 and celtica said. Hope it doesn't get worse and you get better!

--------------------
DRAGON BLESSING

May dragons bring you wealth
and guard your treasures
May they banish darkness and enlighten you
May female dragons grant you inner power
May the Dragon Queen
neutralize your enemies
May Dragon Spirits
give you power over Elementals
May weather dragons
bring rain at your request
May Ti'amat effect the changes you command
May Ishtar grant you Dragon Power
May Ishtar grant you Dragon Power
PMEmail Poster               
stevenpd 
Posted: 31-Jul-2004, 10:46 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacReed

Realm: Fountain Valley, Calif.

male

Allan,

This bit of information must only be terrifying to you and shake your faith to your soul. But do not let it, have faith in the Great Physician and believe that you are in God's hands.

My prayers to you and your family.

--------------------

user posted image

Vote in the 2018 Music Awards

Dear Lord, lest I continue in my complacent ways, help me to remember that someone died for me today. And if there be war, help me to remember to ask and to answer "am I worth dying for?" - Eleanor Roosevelt

The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
-- Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
AShruleEgan 
Posted: 31-Jul-2004, 11:20 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacRowan

Realm: Winston-Salem, North Carolina

male

Allen, this might be something to look into.

http://www.ustransplant.org/cgi-bin/urrea?...rimer/lung.html

Sounds like they are having some success with it but still have a long way to go.
PMEmail Poster               
emerald-eyedwanderer 
Posted: 31-Jul-2004, 07:01 PM
Quote Post

The Gypsy Artist
Group Icon

Group: Celtic Princess
ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: Wherever life takes me.

female

Wizard, I'm so very, very sorry to hear this. Of course you will be in my prayers! Stay strong and keep the faith. Keep us informed on how the testing goes.. we all will be praying as hard as we can. Please get better.

-Em

--------------------
Peace cannot be achieved through violence, it can only be attained through understanding. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

If you judge people you have no time to love them. ~Mother Teresa

Help Out

user posted image
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
WizardofOwls 
Posted: 31-Jul-2004, 07:32 PM
Quote Post

Wanderer and Vagabond

ZodiacVine

Realm: Wytheville, Virginia

male

Thank you, my dear friends, for your support, kin words, thoughts and prayers. I'm really struggling with this, because it scares me so bad. I've never really been sick other than the childhood asthma. I hate going to doctors and hospitals. Can't stand the smell of the place (had to stay in them far too often in my childhood). Don't even like to medicine. I have to be nearly dead with a headache to even take an aspirin. So the thoughts of having something like this really scare me. And what scares me even more is, what if she starts looking around and finds that the preliminary diagnosis was incorrect and its something worse???

I've got all of these bad things floating around in my head and I just want them to go away. I know, as many of you have said, I just need to calm down and think about this thing rationally and hold on to that unseen hand for dear life! He said He cares for the sparrows and clothes the grass, so I know He cares for me, and will carry me through this.

My next appointment is Aug 9 and I will definitely let you all know how it goes.

Thanks again, and hugs to all of you!
urian 
Posted: 31-Jul-2004, 11:45 PM
Quote Post

heretic. lurker in the shadows
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Texas

male

*hugs*
My friend..my brother.
I am so sorry to hear your news.
I can understand how that word would scare you because I have seen strong men taken down be it.
But, keep your faith. Keep your spirit and know that there is a divine love and kindness that guides all of our lives and will see to it that you are taken car e of and comforted at all times. An arm around you when you feel lonely and someone to carry you when you cant walk.
I ramble my brother.
Just know my prayers are with you

--------------------
'Dying for being different is still better than living as a Sheep'-anon
PMEmail Poster               
gtrplr 
Posted: 31-Jul-2004, 11:49 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacBirch

Realm: Nashville, TN

male

Wizard, it's not good news, but don't give up hope (and don't give up). I had an uncle who developed emphysema. This was back in the '60s when medicine wasn't nearly as advanced as it is now. If memory serves me, Uncle Floyd llived well into his 70's and was still very vigorous when he passed. And I don't believe it was the emphysema that killed him. The thing I remember best about him was that he raised rabbits and smoked foul-smelling cigars. Not sure I'd recommend either of those as therapy, though.

My prayers are with you, my friend.

--------------------
Randal Smith alias Smitty the Kid
Wielder of the Six-String Claymore!

"We have enough Youth, how about a Fountain of Smart?"
"When the going gets tough, the smart go fishing!"

PMEmail Poster               
Kiraa 
Posted: 01-Aug-2004, 01:26 AM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacAlder

female

Prayers are with you during this trying time

--------------------
~Kiraa~
PMEmail Poster               
Annabelle 
Posted: 01-Aug-2004, 07:44 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacElder

Realm: Outer Space

Wizard so sorry to hear you are not doing very well! Keep the faith bubba, he won't let ya down!
A

--------------------
My heart will always be in the Highlands!

www.highlanderhouse.com
PMEmail Poster               
cscunningham 
Posted: 01-Aug-2004, 08:58 AM
Quote Post

Clan Member

ZodiacAlder

Realm: Connecticut

male

WizardofOwls,

So sorry to hear your news, I can not iimagine the range of emotions you are going through. Be assured you will be included in my prayers.

I can only offer the following, keep your faith, God does work in mysterious ways. Be posative, foucus your posative energy on getting well.

My God bless you WizardofOwls.

Steve

--------------------
C.S. Cunningham, Clan Cunningham USA -
Membership Coordinator & New England/New York Region Director
[email protected]

If there is righteousness in the heart,
there will be beauty in the character.
If there is beauty in the character,
there will be harmony in the home.
If there is harmony in the home,
there will be order in the nation.
If there is order in the nation,
there will be peace in the world.
So let it be.

My Webpage
PMEmail Poster               
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]