Group Icon

Group: Administrator
ZodiacOak

Realm: Toronto, CAN

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #74
222,391 Gold!

Just a note that we have merged the two Clan Affiliation threads into one super big thread under the "Gathering of the Clans" forum.

--------------------
Celtic Radio DJ
http://www.CelticRadio.net
Celtic Radio Music Network
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.View my Linked-In Profile.View my Google plus Profile.View my Twitter Profile.View My Space Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
Cragganmore 
Posted: 03-Aug-2004, 08:14 PM
Quote Post

Servant

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacWillow

Realm: Rochester, New York

male

I'm a member of the Scottish Clan Barclay. I'm a Barclay by name and my Great Grandfather came to the U.S. from Glasgow. The Clan historically held lands in Kincardine and other spots near Aberdeen.

Clan Barclay website

This brief historical overview of the surname is the official history of the surname and is made available by Clan Barclay International. More information and details of family history can be obtained from:

Barclay, Leslie. The History of the Scottish Barclays, reprinted with an index and glossary by Carolyn L. Barkley, FSA Scot. Lovettsville, Va.: Willow Bend Books, 1995. (Purchase information may be requested by e-mail: [email protected] ).

Roger de Berchelai came to England with William the Conqueror and was granted Berkeley Castle in Gloucestershire. This early form of the name was believed to be the Anglo-Saxon version of 'beau' meaning beautiful, and 'lee', a meadow or field. Roger was mentioned in the Domesday Book as well as his son, John. In 1069 John de Berchelai accompanied Margaret (later St. Margaret) to Scotland. In gratitude for his service, King Malcolm (Canmore) granted him the lands of Towie, near Turriff, in Aberdeenshire, as well as the title, Barclay of that Ilk. 900 years of Barclay history in Scotland descend from John's three sons, Walter, Alexander, and Richard.

In the early days of violence, there was a black day when a nunnery was plundered by the Towie Barclays. Following this event, Thomas the Rhymer wrote the following lines:

Towie Barclay of the Glen Happy to the maids But never to the men.

This curse was said to haunt the male-heir. It was a belief held so strongly that in 1755, it was given as a reason for the heir's sale of Towie Barclay Castle, which then passed into the keeping of the Governors of Robert Gordon's Hospital in Aberdeen. No Barclays have lived in the Castle since.

The Barclays formed important alliances and held land throughout the north-east of Scotland, principally Towie, Mathers, Gartley and Pierston in Aberdeenshire. They also settled in Banff, Collairnie in Fife, Brechin in Forfarshire and Stonehaven in Kincardineshire. One family line settled on the west coast in the Ardrossan and Kilbirnie areas in Ayrshire. Throughout Scotland, they played important roles in national affairs. Sir David Barclay was one of Robert the Bruce's chief associates and was present at many of his battles. Sir Walter de Berkeley, Gartley III, Lord Redcastle and Inverkeillor, was Great Chamberlain of Scotland 1165-1189. Alexander de Berkeley, Gartley IX, became Mathers I in 1351 when he married Katherine Keith, sister of the Earl Marischal. Their son Alexander was the first to adopt the Barclay form of the surname. Sir George Barclay, Gartley XIX, was Steward of the household of Mary, Queen of Scots, and a later Sir George was second in command of James IV forces in the Highlands in the 1689.

One of the major Barclay families was established at Urie near Stonehaven in Kincardineshire. The first Laird, Colonel David Barclay, was a professional soldier serving with such armies as that of Gustavus Adolphus. He returned home when civil war broke out and serviced as a colonel of a regiment of horse fighting for the king. Following his retirement and the conclusion of the war, he was confined in Edinburgh Castle where he was converted to the Society of Friends (Quakers). His son Robert, Urie II, was widely known for his Apologia, described on the title page as being an Explanation and Vindication of the Principles and Doctrines of the People called Quakers. It was published in 1659 when Robert was twenty-seven, becoming widely influential, was then translated into all the European languages. He was friends with the leading Quakers of his day, George Fox and William Penn. Together, they were responsible for the idea of a city of brotherly love to be built in America. Instrumental in settling the east coast of the American colonies, Robert was appointed life governor by the proprietors of East New Jersey who granted him 5,000 acres of land. Robert's second son, David, left Urie and went to London and was apprenticed to a City Company where he became a merchant and a rich man. His second wife was the daughter of John Fream, goldsmith, whose premises in Lombard Street became a banking center as the site of the Barclay's Bank. Wealth, however, did not corrupt the family's strict Quaker principles. David acquired an estate in Jamaica, freeing the slaves there and teaching them trades many years before the passing of laws against the institution of slavery. He entertained George III at his house in London for one of the Lord Mayor's processions, and he and his family were excused from kneeling to the King due to their Quaker beliefs. He refused a knighthood and preferment for his son at Court saying that 'He preferred to bring up his sons in honest trades'.

The last Laird of Urie, Captain Robert Barclay-Allardyce (Allardyce added when he married an heiress of that name whose lands were added to those of Urie), was known as the Great Pedestrian. Many tales exists of his walks over the Scottish hills, such as his walk from Urie to Crathynaird (28 miles), staying less than an hour and then walking home again the same day. His most famous record, however, was that of walking 1,000 miles in 1,000 hours. This he accomplished over a measured mile on Newmarket Heath, subject of about 100,00 wagers and before large crowds. This feat was accomplished in 1809 and five days later, he embarked with his regiment for the Walcheren Expedition in the Napoleonic Wars.

In 1621, Sir Patrick Barclay (Towie XVII) issued a letter of safe conduct for John and Peter Barclay, merchants in the town of Banff to settle in Riga on the shores of the Baltic where they became silk merchants and burghers. He was created a Prince by the Czar and his portrait hangs in the Hermitage in St. Petersburg. From them was founded the Russian line. Michael Andreas Barclay, born 1761, and descended from Peter, the original immigrant, entered the Russian Army with his two brothers. By 1806, Michael was in command of one of the Russian divisions sent to support Prussia against the French. He gained distinction at the battles of Wagram and Eylau. At the later, he had his horse shot out from under him and was severely wounded. He was made Minister of War in 1810 and two years later was given command of the Russian Armies against Napoleon. He invented the policy of 'scorched earth', retreating and hiburning until starvation and cold forced Napoleon into the terrible retreat from Moscow. In 1815, Michael was elevated by the Czar to Field Marshal Prince Michael Barclay de Tolly and was made a Count of the Holy Roman Empire. From England, George III bestowed upon him a G.C.B. The Prince came to London to receive this honor and met Colonel Sir Robert Barclay (Towie XXV) to whom he declared himself to be 'perfectly acquainted with his descent from the Barclays of Towie in Scotland'.

--------------------
Craig

"The heart of Scotland beats inside me still" Kirk S. McWhorter
PMEmail Poster               View My Space Profile.
CelticRoz 
Posted: 06-Aug-2004, 09:26 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

QUOTE (Macfive @ 02-Aug-2004, 07:11 PM)
Just a note that we have merged the two Clan Affiliation threads into one super big thread under the "Gathering of the Clans" forum.

Okay, well see you all there! smile.gif
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 07-Aug-2004, 05:08 AM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

QUOTE (CelticRose @ 19-Dec-2003, 05:21 PM)
Hope this works. It should be a clan map of Scotland.

http://www.scottishradiance.com/clanmap.htm

Well the map was supposed to have been bigger than this...............sorry about that! sad.gif
AShruleEgan 
Posted: 07-Aug-2004, 09:23 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacRowan

Realm: Winston-Salem, North Carolina

male

QUOTE (Angel Whitefang (Rider) @ 18-Jul-2004, 05:20 PM)
After some more family research it has come to light that my Paternal (I think that is the name for my Father's Mothers side of the family) GrandMother was a Keegan.
Is that Scot or Irish or what?? So I have Prescott on my Mothers side and Keegan on my Fathers.....................wow am I confuzzled!

Angel, this is the web page to fill you in on the Keegan side of your family.

http://clanegan.org/
PMEmail Poster               
MacAibhistin 
Posted: 27-Aug-2004, 08:26 PM
Quote Post

Knight of the Round Table

ZodiacOak

Realm: northern Canada - somewhere between the treeline and civilisation

male

I am a bit late joining this thread, but I curious to see who I may be related to one way or another. Interesting, all of these family lines ended up in Nova Scotia.

My Scottish clan affiliations are:

Keith, through the Austin sept
MacLeod of Raasay
Munro
MacKay
Ross
Beaton

My Irish clan affiliations:
O'Dwyer
Doherty (Dochartaigh)
Cullen

Any fellow clansfolk out there?

Rory MacA
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 28-Aug-2004, 03:06 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Ooh! Rory! If I am not mistaken, I think that Wizardofowls is a MacKay! Check with him! smile.gif
AShruleEgan 
Posted: 06-Sep-2004, 04:48 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacRowan

Realm: Winston-Salem, North Carolina

male

QUOTE (Camchak @ 14-Jun-2004, 03:42 PM)
Hello,
My family name is Brister!
I wonder if someone from the area might be able to help me with the clan I would be affiliated with from these notes? Also my step-fathers name is McCright.

I show researchers have confirmed the first documented history of the family name Brister in the lowland Scotland and Northern England. Found in ancient manuscripts including the Exchequer Rolls of Scotland, the Ragman Rolls, the Hearth Rolls, parish cartularies, baptismal, and tax rolls. The first record of the name Brister was found in Lanarkshire where they were seated from very ancient times well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
The family name Brister is believed to be a descended originally from the Strathclyde Britons. This founding race of the North were a mixture of Gaelic/Celts whose original territories ranged from Lancashire in the South, northward to the south bank of the River Clyde in Scotland.
In North America, some of the first migrants which could be considered kinsmen of the family name Brister and its spelling variants were William Brewster who arrived in the ?Mayflower? and settled in Plymouth in 1620.

Dale,

I remembered reading your post from some time ago and I happened to come across your clan affiliation. This is the web page for them.

http://www.bristowassociation.org/
PMEmail Poster               
Kamchak 
Posted: 06-Sep-2004, 10:45 PM
Quote Post

Master At Arms
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Southern U.S.

male

Thanks! I will look into this right now! biggrin.gif

--------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ![SIZE=7][COLOR=green][CENTER]
PMEmail Poster               
Annham 
Posted: 10-Sep-2004, 10:14 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHazel

female

Hello All,
After reading a few posts here last night, I have tried looking up my family name's clan associations and don't know if I am on the right track...

I was looking for a clan associated with the family name ***.
I found that MacKeogh, Keohoe, O'Hoey, *** and several other names are all associated with the Clan, O'hEochaidh..
But I am not sure exactly what I am looking for..
Can anyone help?

My ***s were said to have been Scotch Irish and first came to US in New England somewhere, then possibly migrated to PA and then to WV.
I also have some Hannon ancestors from Green Co. PA, who I think were originally from Ulster around 1750.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Anne

--------------------
“This is my simple religion. There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness.”

~ Dalai Lama
21st century spiritual and political leader of Tibet and Nobel Peace Prize winner (1989)
PMEmail Poster               
MacAibhistin 
Posted: 10-Sep-2004, 10:56 PM
Quote Post

Knight of the Round Table

ZodiacOak

Realm: northern Canada - somewhere between the treeline and civilisation

male

There are a few problems with doing research by "clan associations". One inaccuracy I often see with those doing Scottish research is that people will often look at a book or website on clans, find that their names is associated with this or that clan, and then they are buying kilts and crests, etc. thinging that they represent their family. Well, often times it is not that simple.

In Scotland, and Ireland, most people prior to 1800 (earlier in Ireland) lived on land owned by a clan chief. So for example, it was entirely possible to have MacIntoshes living on land owned by the chief of clan MacLeod. The MacIntosh family, therefore, were members of clan MacLeod. In my case, I had Beatons (for which there is a tartan and other marketable items) who were actually members of the clan MacLeod of Lewis. My Ross ancestors were members of clan MacDonalds of Sleat (eventhough there was a large and powerful clan Ross).

The reality is that clan culture as we know it today does not often reflect the historical reality. Your best bet is to start researching your specific ancestors as generalising by names is rarely helpful. I hope this is helpful to some of you guys.

Thanks,
Rory
PMEmail Poster               
Annham 
Posted: 11-Sep-2004, 02:38 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHazel

female

Thanks Rory,
That makes sense smile.gif
Anne
PMEmail Poster               
bubba 
Posted: 19-Sep-2004, 11:15 AM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: Northeast Wisconsin

male

My associations are MacNeil of Barra through the MacGrail sept and Hamilton. The ones that came to America mostly seem to have come to Massachussetts and scattered all over the place from there.

--------------------
[SIZE=7]Curtesie is cumbersom to them that kens it not.
PMEmail Poster               
WizardofOwls 
Posted: 19-Sep-2004, 11:54 AM
Quote Post

Wanderer and Vagabond

ZodiacVine

Realm: Wytheville, Virginia

male

I'm sorry but what I am about to write is offtopic.gif

Please forgive me! smile.gif

I just wanted to say welcome to Bubba since I don't think that I have met him yet! I am so glad you found us! The whole purpose of this place is to have a good time! So jump in and enjoy the great conversation and music! I think you'll find that some of the nicest people to be found anywhere on the net are right here!

Welcome to the family! And I hope you'll visit with us often as you can!

Now, back to your regularly scheduled programming! angel_not.gif

--------------------
Slàn agus beannachd,
Allen R. Alderman

'S i Alba tìr mo chridhe. 'S i Gàidhlig cànan m' anama.
Scotland is the land of my heart. Gaelic is the language of my soul.
bubba 
Posted: 19-Sep-2004, 05:35 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: Northeast Wisconsin

male

Thank you kindly for the welcome. I expect I'll be around often.
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]