> Opinions For Celtic Dissertation
TartanTrousers 
Posted: 21-Mar-2010, 01:45 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacWillow

male

The Ancient Celts of Europe and their influence within cinema.

Hello everyone, my name is Ben Coulbrook, a third year student at the university of Lincoln currently working through my final year, and thus, through my dissertation.

I was wondering if I could ask some of you fine folk if you’d be interested in answering a few questions on the subject of the ancient Celts, and their representation and influence within cinema. I’ve read some very intelligent opinions within this forum, ones in which I believe would be invaluable as primary sources. Please, if anyone is interested in helping me explore this facet of Celtic culture in my own little way, then I would be very grateful.

Answer as many or as little of the questions as you like. Incredibly detailed to violently short responses are welcome, and please remember that it is your opinion I’m after (as I can’t express my own within the dissertation!) so don’t get to hung up on getting the facts just right.

I’m required to tell you that your answers will be used within the dissertation as primary sources.

So onto the questions!

1. Please introduce yourself; what most interests you about Celtic culture and which time period you do most associate your experiences with? (E.G. Iron Age Celts of Europe, Pre Roman Celts of Britain, the Irish reimagining’s or the swords and sorcery of Arthur and his knights.)

Please, include any information which you feel is relevant regarding your interest in Celtic culture, even if not stated in the above question.

2. Because of oral traditions and a lack of written text, many firsthand Celtic tales from the period of Celtic European settlement have been lost. Do you believe that this loss, propagated by Roman accounts, second hand Irish writings and more recent Druidic practises has fostered a culture which is all too willing to forget the Celts ancient origins, and stereotype Celtic behaviour and stories according to these second hand accounts?

3. If so, do you believe this to be simply be the natural progression of storytelling as pertains to almost all ancient cultures, or an unfortunate set of circumstances?

4. When you think of Celtic film, does a particular film spring to mind? Why do you believe that film to be of Celtic origin?

5. The fantasy genre can be argued to be highly steeped in Celtic influences. However, do you believe this to be the case and if not, what counter claim do you have regarding his argument?

6. Do you believe that the Celts of ancient Europe are underutilized within the film industry? If so, why?
Thank you very much for your time. I’ll keep checking back, and hopefully maybe we’ll be able to discuss some of these points as well.
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]