> Popup Killer, help
CelticRoz 
Posted: 08-May-2004, 04:53 PM
Quote Post

Roz

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAlder

female

Can anybody recommend a good pop-up killer? One that is free, preferrably! I have the Google toolbar on my computer which kills some of them, but not most of them and these things are driving me crazy! I have Spybot Search and Destroy and Lavasoft Ad-aware on my computer which I am having to scan all the time...which does help.........some! Try posting when these things keep popping up all over the place! I am about to throw this out the window!
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
stevenpd 
Posted: 08-May-2004, 05:05 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacReed

Realm: Fountain Valley, Calif.

male

Try Panicware's Pop-Up Stopper. There is a basic version that does quite well for free. (I'm currently using it)

Home Page

--------------------

user posted image

Vote in the 2018 Music Awards

Dear Lord, lest I continue in my complacent ways, help me to remember that someone died for me today. And if there be war, help me to remember to ask and to answer "am I worth dying for?" - Eleanor Roosevelt

The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
-- Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
faolin 
Posted: 08-May-2004, 07:58 PM
Quote Post

Knight of the Round Table

ZodiacBirch

female

I personally have spyhunter instaled on my computer, and it came with enigma popup stop which seems to be working quite well. Before I endup shelling out $20 for it, I had Popup Stopper, which worked decently well. You can download it at http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_desc...fid,8060,00.asp Hope it helps - there's nothing more annoying than popups which slow down your computer!

--------------------
Bitheadh e mar sin
PMEmail Poster               
AShruleEgan 
Posted: 08-May-2004, 08:49 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacRowan

Realm: Winston-Salem, North Carolina

male

QUOTE (CelticRose @ May 8 2004, 05:53 PM)
Can anybody recommend a good pop-up killer? One that is free, preferrably! I have the Google toolbar on my computer which kills some of them, but not most of them and these things are driving me crazy! I have Spybot Search and Destroy and Lavasoft Ad-aware on my computer which I am having to scan all the time...which does help.........some! Try posting when these things keep popping up all over the place! I am about to throw this out the window!

Rosemary, I thought you had Norton Anti-virus and Security on your computer. The Security handles all that pop-up crap.
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 08-May-2004, 09:27 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Mike I have Norton anti-virus on my computer now. I also used to have NIV with popup and firewall, but I got rid of it because the firewall was preventing me from getting on the computer and my server told me to disable the firewall as I have dial up. The popup killer was also preventing me from using javascript, so I went to just simple NIV instead. Maybe I should reinstall my NIV with popup killer! This is getting really annoying and slowing me down greatly.

However, I have heard really good things about the panicware so maybe I will try that first! Thanks Steven! I just wanted to try a free version first before as my NIV and security is a 2003 version.

Thanks so much guys!
AShruleEgan 
Posted: 08-May-2004, 09:32 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacRowan

male

QUOTE (CelticRose @ May 8 2004, 10:27 PM)
Mike I have Norton anti-virus on my computer now. I also used to have NIV with popup and firewall, but I got rid of it because the firewall was preventing me from getting on the computer and my server told me to disable the firewall as I have dial up. The popup killer was also preventing me from using javascript, so I went to just simple NIV instead. Maybe I should reinstall my NIV with popup killer! This is getting really annoying and slowing me down greatly.

However, I have heard really good things about the panicware so maybe I will try that first! Thanks Steven! I just wanted to try a free version first before as my NIV and security is a 2003 version.

Thanks so much guys!

I have dial-up and have no problems at all. You must have your settings to high. might want to check that first.
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 08-May-2004, 09:46 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

well I just checked panciware and they want to charge me, so forget that. I am not forking out $20.00 when I have Norton security with pop-up killer. I would rather reinstall my Norton Security 2003 and update it and re-enact the pop-up killer! I will look into popup stopper too!

Mike, I could have had my settings up to high too!

Right now the Ad-aware watch is keeping everything at bay!

AShruleEgan 
Posted: 08-May-2004, 09:49 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacRowan

male

QUOTE (CelticRose @ May 8 2004, 10:46 PM)
well I just checked panciware and they want to charge me, so forget that. I am not forking out $20.00 when I have Norton security with pop-up killer. I would rather reinstall my Norton Security 2003 and update it and re-enact the pop-up killer! I will look into popup stopper too!

If your Norton subscription has run out, you may have to pay for another year to be able to update it.

Good luck.
PMEmail Poster               
stevenpd 
Posted: 10-May-2004, 09:56 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacReed

male

QUOTE (CelticRose @ May 8 2004, 08:46 PM)

Let me assure you that you don't need to shell out $20.00 for Panicware's Pop-up Stopper. There is a free version.
gtrplr 
Posted: 10-May-2004, 10:16 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Nashville, TN

male

May I suggest a different approach? Change browsers!

Go to www.mozilla.org and download Firefox. It comes with a pop-up stopper installed, and it's free!

Better browser than IE, too, IMHO.

--------------------
Randal Smith alias Smitty the Kid
Wielder of the Six-String Claymore!

"We have enough Youth, how about a Fountain of Smart?"
"When the going gets tough, the smart go fishing!"

PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 10-May-2004, 05:26 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

QUOTE (stevenpd @ May 10 2004, 10:56 AM)
well I just checked panciware and they want to charge me, so forget that. I am not forking out $20.00 when I have Norton security with pop-up killer. I would rather reinstall my Norton Security 2003 and update it and re-enact the pop-up killer!  I will look into popup stopper too!

Let me assure you that you don't need to shell out $20.00 for Panicware's Pop-up Stopper. There is a free version.

Hi Steven! I installed the free version of panicware popup killer and OMG! That program has worked wonders! I cannot even believe it! A few days ago I was ready to throw this computer out the window and now I can post and surf the internet without any problem!

Thank you so very much! beer_mug.gif beer_mug.gif beer_mug.gif
stevenpd 
Posted: 10-May-2004, 05:57 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacReed

male

QUOTE (CelticRose @ May 10 2004, 04:26 PM)
QUOTE (stevenpd @ May 10 2004, 10:56 AM)
well I just checked panciware and they want to charge me, so forget that. I am not forking out $20.00 when I have Norton security with pop-up killer. I would rather reinstall my Norton Security 2003 and update it and re-enact the pop-up killer!  I will look into popup stopper too!

Hi Steven! I installed the free version of panicware popup killer and OMG! That program has worked wonders! I cannot even believe it! A few days ago I was ready to throw this computer out the window and now I can post and surf the internet without any problem!

Thank you so very much! beer_mug.gif beer_mug.gif beer_mug.gif

You're welcome!

thumbs_up.gif
CelticRoz 
Posted: 11-May-2004, 02:12 AM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Stevenpd! I am still raving about this popup killer you recommended. It is sooooo wonderful. It is not affecting my javascript and yet I have no pop-ups and hardly, if ever, any ad-aware in my computer now! I cannot thank you enough! I am still jumping up and down over it! Thank you, thank you, thank you! clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif
stevenpd 
Posted: 11-May-2004, 10:49 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacReed

male

QUOTE (CelticRose @ May 11 2004, 01:12 AM)
Stevenpd! I am still raving about this popup killer you recommended. It is sooooo wonderful. It is not affecting my javascript and yet I have no pop-ups and hardly, if ever, any ad-aware in my computer now! I cannot thank you enough! I am still jumping up and down over it! Thank you, thank you, thank you! clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif

You're welcome again. Is it not funny how the small things make life so much easier?

biggrin.gif
mingkee 
Posted: 11-May-2004, 07:36 PM
Quote Post

An Asian Celt from Hong Kong
Group Icon

ZodiacRowan

Realm: Brooklyn, NY

male

QUOTE (CelticRose @ May 8 2004, 05:53 PM)

I am using mozilla
which has excellent popup control
browse with peace of mind
for IE users, there'll be SP2 update, which adds popup control

--------------------
a Chinese Celt from Hong Kong
PMEmail Poster               View my Facebook Profile.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]