Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Fear Of The Blank Page - Writer's Block, Etc., anyone got stories to share?
CelticRoz 
Posted: 06-Dec-2003, 12:47 PM
Quote Post

Roz

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAlder

female

Elspeth I am not sure which is worse, to have a painting rejected or have your writing marked up with revisions! both of our work comes from our heart and a lot of emotions and ourselves are exposed. How can someone come along and tell you it is all wrong? This painting I did was copied from a photograph out of a book, which is illegal. So I took some artistic liberties and the person was not happy. He wanted everything to be exact! And even though I took some artistic liberties, you could still tell where the painting came from and so therefore I could never sell it to anyone, you see. So between my disgust with rejection and not wanting another painting taking up room in my studio, I just destroyed it and it is now in the trash can outside! Last night I was thinking, I would never paint again! Funny thing is is that I got up early this morning to work in the studio to start something new!

anyway, I feel for you Elspeth. I can understand your feelings of how dare they. That is a very interesting concept of the writer needs to learn the rules of grammar and then not be afraid to break them? Wow! What a fine line.

Thanks for your support! smile.gif
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Siobhan Blues 
Posted: 06-Dec-2003, 04:55 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

female

QUOTE (Elspeth @ Dec 5 2003, 07:40 PM)
And I feel like we haven't yet really met Siusaidh Blues, so Hello!

Elspeth

Hello, Elspeth!
Nice to meet you. It is the coolest thing, to be able to talk about creative blocks and how we deal with them... there aren't many people I know who understand where we're coming from on this subject. I am glad you and I have met here and can share our thoughts.

I am sorry I do not post more often, like Celticrose said I am not online every day because sometimes I am in the studio or out delivering/picking up art from this exhibit or that, but honestly I get so busy sometimes just doing things around the house & running errands that before I know it the day has slipped by, hubby is home and will not let me near the computer for fear that I'll spend hours chatting and emailing when all he wants to do is play some computer game!

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king..."
user posted image

SGGardner Art

www.SouthernShireFarm.com
PM               
Elspeth 
Posted: 07-Dec-2003, 12:52 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Wales
ZodiacReed

female

It certianly is cool to be able to discuss these things! I never had anywhere to do it before. My husband always looks at me like I'm a bit nutty. Then again we artist are, aren't we? tongue.gif

I had lots of emotions churning yesterday and today, so for the first time in ages, I sat and wrote. Felt good. smile.gif

--------------------
Compassion is the sometimes fatal capacity for feeling what it is like inside somebody else's skin. It is the knowledge that there can never really be any peace and joy for me until there is peace and joy finally for you too.
- Frederick Buechner

If society prospers at the expense of the intangibles,
how can it be called progress?

-LLP
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 07-Dec-2003, 04:36 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Elspeth I met with my author sister-in-law last night for dinner. She was telling me that what she has been taught by editors is that they are not so hung up on grammar as they are on you being able to develop your characters. She said the most important thing was to make your characters seem alive and believeable. well, just wanted to pass that on. We were with other family members so it was hard to talk much about her experiences as a writer. sad.gif
Siobhan Blues 
Posted: 09-Dec-2003, 03:14 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

female

QUOTE (Elspeth @ Dec 7 2003, 01:52 AM)
It certianly is cool to be able to discuss these things! I never had anywhere to do it before. My husband always looks at me like I'm a bit nutty. Then again we artist are, aren't we? tongue.gif

I had lots of emotions churning yesterday and today, so for the first time in ages, I sat and wrote. Felt good. smile.gif

We artists are cut from a different bolt of cloth! cool.gif

Glad to hear you're writing again... hope the muse inspires you in the upcoming days and that the writing continues to flow!
PM               
Siobhan Blues 
Posted: 19-Dec-2003, 09:18 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

female

Hello everyone!

A pleasant Friday to you all. How is the writing/drawing/painting going for everyone during the holiday season? Its not going at all for me really, except for regular journal writings, because I'm too busy to spend much time in the studio. Has anyone else been able to be creative?
PM               
Elspeth 
Posted: 19-Dec-2003, 10:04 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacReed

female

Not even remotely! I'm looking at the beginning of January for a fresh start. Isn't that what New Year's is all about?
barddas 
Posted: 19-Dec-2003, 11:13 AM
Quote Post

Offical sacrifice to the guitar gods-Play til you bleed

ZodiacWillow

Realm: second star to the right, straight until morning

male

Not here either... i have worked up a few Trad songs and that is it. No writing.... My plumbing problem is happening again..... So, I need to fix it first. Which means I have to tear out the upstairs Bathroom sink to get to it..... The peope that owned this house before me decided to use PLASTER instead of Water proof caulk!!!! Morons!!!! Aside from that the house is GRAND! Oh, how stupid people drive me mad!
Sorry for the rant....

Cheers

--------------------
BARDDAS BLOG/WEB SITE

Co Founder/Member of the KDC

Music is holy, art is sacred, and creativity is power

Everyday is EARTH DAY to a farmer

"Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much."
Oscar Wilde

Some men are drawn to oceans, they cannot breathe unless the air is scented with a salty mist. Others are drawn to land that is flat, and the air is sullen and is leaden as August. My people were drawn to mountains- Earl Hamner Jr.

PMEmail Poster                
CelticRoz 
Posted: 19-Dec-2003, 01:45 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

I started a drawing last weekend and that was as far as I have been able to get to it. Since Monday, between preparing for the holidays and going to see ROTK, my week has been crazy! So I guess I will do like Elspeth and give it a fresh start after the first of the year! artist.gif
Siobhan Blues 
Posted: 23-Dec-2003, 12:46 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

female

QUOTE (barddas @ Dec 19 2003, 12:13 PM)
My plumbing problem is happening again..... So, I need to fix it first. Which means I have to tear out the upstairs Bathroom sink to get to it.....

laugh.gif
Reminds me of a very funny plumbing encounter I had eons ago when I was a newlywed. My husband and I lived in a little duplex house, and one day when I turned on the cold water in the kitchen, the faucet suddenly fell off and water literally spewed straight up and out into the kitchen floor! I was laughing so hard I couldn't think to turn off the water under the cabinet for a few minutes...

PM               
Aaediwen 
Posted: 23-Dec-2003, 06:30 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Kentucky

male

LOL! instant water fountain!

On the writing front, I've got a poem to finish, and a story to revise. Figure it'll be at least after the 27'th before I can get to any of it, but chance may smile on me. Just got back from watching ROTK biggrin.gif good movie smile.gif

--------------------
Poet and seeker of knowledge

Richard Bercot 
Posted: 23-Dec-2003, 07:55 PM
Quote Post

House of Hardy
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacAsh

male

I may not be a writer but some of my artistic skills comes in tying my flies which I have not done in a couple of months now.

I just have not been able to sit myself down and do it or even come up some new patterns to tie. So you could call this an artistic block.

Maybe be having the Fishing Thread in here, it will get me fired up to start again.

--------------------
May your days be filled with Merriment and May you walk in Balance with Creator.

"For every day you fish, you live another day"
PMEmail Poster                
Siobhan Blues 
Posted: 26-Dec-2003, 02:08 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

female

My father-in-law was a fly fisherman, and he had a little box containing some of the most amazing flies that he'd tied himself... they really looked like little bugs, and my husband says in the water they really DID look real!

There is indeed an art to creating them, one that is not often handed down from father to son as it once was...
PM               
Elspeth 
Posted: 26-Dec-2003, 06:56 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacReed

female

I think it must be an art as well, especially when you use creative materials. biggrin.gif

Get over your block already. I've been waiting since October to know how they will work!!!
Elspeth 
Posted: 05-Jan-2004, 09:25 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacReed

female

OK, Christmas is over as is New Years. Who's started back to creating?

I have to confess, I have not. But I have been having some vivid dreams which is a good precurser to writing. And I am determined to attack the busniess side of it all with a vengence. I want to get something published in 2004.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]