Posted: 07-Dec-2003, 10:13 AM
Quote Post

Peasant

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacVine

Realm: Burnaby BC. Canada

male

thumbs_up.gif

Hello all..just signed up...thought folks might be interested in an awesome Cape Breton Traditional group called "Beolach"...check out their web site...this group came together through playing at Celtic Colours in Cape Breton.

http://www.beolach.com/beolach.html

This post has been edited by Ramster on 09-Dec-2003, 07:22 PM
PMEmail Poster               
ScanFan 
Posted: 11-Dec-2003, 12:17 AM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Highlands of Oakland, CA

Awesome is right! I haven't seen the group perform live but the CD is top rate. These musicians are among the cream of the crop of Cape Breton players--a super group. Many of the individuals have excellent CD's of their own. The combination of instruments is a refreshing addition to the ubiquitous fiddle and piano duos that pervade Cape Breton. I'm impressed too at the way so many Cape Breton musicians can switch between fiddle and piano and be equally at home on either instrument--and step dance while they're playing!

--------------------
"I never played to many posh dances."
PMEmail Poster               
Ramster 
  Posted: 11-Dec-2003, 10:33 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacVine

male

Hello ScanFan..thanks for the reply...glad to see you enjoyed the CD also..I just purchased Mairi Rankin's CD, it too is awesome...saw her play at Celtic Colours this year. She plays with the group Beolach also.Mairi and Wendy are incredible together and equally solo.You mentioned stepdancing while playing piano, Hilda Chiasson ( Cormier wife of J.P.) is something to watch..I have numerous video tapes of her dancing and playing. J.P and Hilda played here in Vancouver last Friday night...great session.I see you are in California...do you have much contact with the Celtic Music there..I know a lot of Cape Breton talent entertain there at times.thanks again for the feedback..Cheers
PMEmail Poster               
ScanFan 
Posted: 13-Dec-2003, 10:59 AM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacBirch

QUOTE (Ramster @ Dec 11 2003, 10:33 PM)
...I see you are in California...do you have much contact with the Celtic Music there..I know a lot of Cape Breton talent entertain there at times...

My wife and I also went to this year's Celtic Colours. We weren't expecting it to be so much fun. We're definitely planning to go back next year but I wish it was easier to get there. Maybe that's a good thing--otherwise they'd be overrun by Californians.

So much talent in one place--it's like finding a gold mine. We were at the Festival Hall practically every nite 'til 3 a.m. We saw Mairi Rankin, Wendy MacIsaac, Natalie MacMaster, and Mac Morin play together--that's half of Beolach plus Natalie.

Celtic Colours was about the most fun vacation we've ever had. And all this music and dancing takes place in the beautiful setting of Cape Breton in the fall. The natives are so friendly--so are the tourists for that matter. Now the music has a whole new meaning to us.

Cape Breton musicians do come here to the the Bay Area from time to time--Natalie performed in San Francisco about a month ago. I am still eager to see Howie MacDonald and Ashley MacIsaac live.

Well, got to get over to the Castlebay Music site and order that Mairi Rankin CD now...

PMEmail Poster               
ScanFan 
Posted: 14-Dec-2003, 02:46 AM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacBirch

I see that two members of Beolach have just been nominated for the The East Coast Music Awards:

Mac Morin for Instrumental Recording of the Year
Wendy MacIsaac for Roots/Traditional Solo Recording of the Year

The ECMA will broadcast February 15 at 8 p.m. (8:30 p.m. NT).

Too bad CR.n does't have these in their list...yet.
PMEmail Poster               
Ramster 
  Posted: 14-Dec-2003, 10:27 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacVine

male

Wow..what a small world,we probably attended the same events and now we meet on the other side of North America..too funny.my wife and I are from Cape Breton but have not been back there for 6 years. I was involved in the original Celtic Colours when it started, filmed it for a tv network, my relatives have been trying to get us home ever since and this year we wanted to be there for John Allan Cameron's special night. We probably ran into each other at the events and didn't know it, that last session after hours was worth the trip..Wendy MacIsaac is one of my favorite players. Howie Mac Donald is an amazing person, met him a few years ago and is a great friend. He has so many talents...one of them is the ability to inimate anyone he meets, another Rich Little, his whole family are musicians and wonderful people. I am still amazed at the fact that you came all the way from California to Celtic Colours. Do you have any Celtic connections with Cape Breton or Scotland/Ireland. I didn't realize that Wendy and Mac had been nominated. Thanks for the news, say hello to Paul and Tracy at Castlebay Music, they are great people also... Cheers
PMEmail Poster               
ScanFan 
Posted: 15-Dec-2003, 02:08 AM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacBirch

Ramster, we don't have any strong Celtic roots. For years I thought I had some Irish blood in me but last year I found out it's actually Scottish. I'm not sure why I wanted to go to Cape Breton except that I wanted to go somewhere there was going to be a music festival so we would have plenty to do besides just sight-seeing. My wife is a classical and flamenco musician and I am a concertina novice. I found out about Celtic Colours on the web and made all the arrangements on line. I don't know how I picked the various events--it was mainly dumb luck because the only names I was familiar with on the program were Cillian Vallely, Natalie MacMaster, and Carlos Nunez.

One of the events I got tickets for was this thing in Inverness for John Allan Cameron. We had no idea who this was but it looked like it might be interesting. During the Celtic Colours we were staying at the Dunlop Inn in Baddeck and one day this guy dropped by with his wife and they were looking for some friends who they thought were staying there. He asked if we were going to the event in Inverness on Friday night because he and his son were going to be performing. We told him it just so happened that we were going to see that show. He and his wife both said "Yesss!!!" and made downward gestures with their fists. We just smiled at them politely and when they left we wondered if that couple seemed a little overly enthusiastic about our entertainment plans. They had told us their names but it didn't register until we checked the program for the Inverness event. The show was called "Yesss!!" When we actually saw the show it was obvious what the "Yesss!!" thing was all about--boy did we feel dumb.

It is a small world, but CB is too far away isn't it?
PMEmail Poster               
Ramster 
  Posted: 15-Dec-2003, 09:35 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacVine

male

Scanfan this is getting funnier by the minute...John Allan is married to my niece she asked us to come to that particular event to tape it for them..I haven't seen them for 6 years and was quite shocked to see John Allan, his health seems to be slowing him down, he just received the Order of Canada last Friday ( it's a recognition of one's contribution to society, in his case Celtic Music) My niece also preforms, she is a clogger and just finished a concert with Billy Rae Cyrus and Glen Campbell ( the following Monday he was charged with DWI ) John Allan's son is a singer/guitar player with Amanda Marshall. It was great to see them...not sure how many more sessions John Allan will do. I can still see him at the Grand Old Oprey when he preformed with his kilt on..that was back in 1969, I believe it was sometime after that when Glen Campbell started wearing his kilt on his show.Now it's all the rage...guess they were ahead of their time. John Allan has devoted most of his life to keeping Celtic Music alive and growing, has truly become a legend in Cape Breton, I am pleased that you were able to attend and see him, mind you as I mentioned about his health, he was not at his best but still a great ambassador for the music. Oh yes, my nephew was the MC for the show, he too is a musician and has written a great book on Celtic Music in Cape Breton.
PMEmail Poster               
ScanFan 
Posted: 17-Dec-2003, 02:11 AM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacBirch

So, what you're saying Ramster is that I met your niece. That's too bizarre. And here we are so far away from the source of what we hold in common--both of us using avatars instead of our true identities--yet we still managed to meet up. And we were both at that same show--I hope you weren't that guy sitting in front of me and blocking my view. That wasn't you was it?

Yeah, I thought John Allan might not have been 100% but it didn't really matter. They showed that excellent slide show of his career and it help us non-Canadians understand. We found the show entertaining and enlightening.

I still can't believe how Dave MacIsaac seemed to be playing at every venue everywhere we went. I swear he was still taking bows at a show in Ingonish when we left the theater and headed down the coast to St. Anne's in a heavy rainstorm. I was driving like a mad man to get to the festival hall in time to see the first group play. As you know, there is only one road with steep cliffs on both sides--and no one passed me. When we got to the hall we parked on the lawn, walked in and got some good seats and who do you think was on the stage?--Dave MacIsaac! Unfortunately we didn't get to see him perform this time because he was just finishing his set and left immediately for his next show in Judique. I just figure Dave MacIsaac probably has his own helicopter.
PMEmail Poster               
oldraven 
Posted: 17-Dec-2003, 11:03 AM
Quote Post

The Protector of the Unknown
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Guysborough Co., Nova Scotia

male

Fellows, I was reading this thread as it went along and didn't know how to jump in. I guess I'll just say, it's good to see a fellow New Scot on the board, Ramster. I grew up in Gysborough Co., but never got to see the Cape until this past June. Three hours away for 22 years, and I end up traveling thousands of miles to see it for the first time. Crazy. We simply took the quick jaunt around the trail, yes, the long way, and had no time for music festivals. We did camp on the Bras 'Dor lake though.

It's great hearing you guys pop out such familiar names and towns. Thanks. king.gif

beer_mug.gif

--------------------
Caw

"I am a Canadian by birth, but I am a Highlander by blood and feel under an obligation to do all I can for the sake of the Highlanders and their literature.... I have never yet spoken a word of English to any of my children. They can speak as much English as they like to others, but when they talk to me they have to talk in Gaelic."

-Alexander Maclean Sinclair of Goshen (protector of Gaelic Culture)

We need more Stan Rogers.

jams
PMEmail PosterUsers Website               
Ramster 
  Posted: 18-Dec-2003, 12:21 AM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacVine

male

Well hello again...I'm still laughing about your post about meeting my niece..I e-mailed her and mentioned that she had met you and she remembered, she was amazed that we connected here on this board.I mentioned that John Allan was to receive the Order of Canada last Friday...here are her comments about the ceremony in Ottawa, thought you might get a chuckle...

On the week-end John Allan received the Order of Canada. It was wonderful being in Ottawa for all the Celebrations. When John Allan was actually receiving the Medal he made a gesture playing the guitar when they reading why he was receiving the Order. Anyway, this was the FIRST time ever that someone actually showed any kind of human action......the people clapped when he did it.....the next day in the Ottawa Citizen they did a big write-up on J.A. and a great picture of him and they stated that he stole the show at the Order of Canada. That evening just 10 minutes before we were to go to the Big Dinner at Rideau Hall we got a call from Adrienne Clarkson's people to bring along his guitar so that he could sing after the dinner. This was not planned at all and went over very well at the dinner.
It was just an amazing time. John Allan had a great write-up in the Toronto Star and Halifax Paper.
PMEmail Poster               
Ramster 
  Posted: 18-Dec-2003, 12:44 AM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacVine

male

ScanFan...ran out of space on the last post...I wasn't sitting in front of you, I was standing on the left side of the stage by the speakers and probably blocked you,I was Video taping the show. angel_not.gif Where ever there is music you will find Dave MacIsaac, I just thought of a funny story about Dave when he came to visit me once in Ontario when we lived there. We were having a pool put in and I had to go to work, Dave was there alone and when I came home he had a kitchen chair out in the back yard sitting on a pile of dirt playing tunes for the two workers down in the hole. Both of the workers were Italian and not sure if they were forced to listen to the scottish music or not..I guess it was a captive audience.Dave is a wonderful person and has two children who are also coming along very well with the music.
OLDRAVEN..welcome..great to see you are enjoying our comments.I'm new to Message Boards but was very pleased with what I saw on these boards..ScanFan helped quite a bit, we had something in common and it was great to share with him.I see you are in Edmonton now, great city my daughter is in Calgary, a Rail Traffic Controller for CP Rail..she also was back to Cape Breton for Celtic Colours.Glad to see you got to experience the Bras D'or lake...are you planning to go back for vacation again?
PMEmail Poster               
oldraven 
Posted: 20-Dec-2003, 01:17 AM
Quote Post

The Protector of the Unknown
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Guysborough Co., Nova Scotia

male

Yes. We're heading home again this August to get married. I would like to see that pure hardwood forest again. That was amazing. Down by the shepheards hut. It was like walking into a book. I wonder how hard it would be to camp out there. dry.gif

We sat out on the beach and watched the sun set over the hills on the north side of the Bras D'or. A very peaceful and humbling scene. Got lots of good photos too. I couldn't keep 'The Giant' out of my head. laugh.gif
PMEmail PosterUsers Website               
ScanFan 
Posted: 21-Dec-2003, 03:15 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacBirch

QUOTE (Ramster @ Dec 18 2003, 12:44 AM)
I wasn't sitting in front of you, I was standing on the left side of the stage by the speakers and probably blocked you,I was Video taping the show...

Dave was there alone and when I came home he had a kitchen chair out in the back yard sitting on a pile of dirt playing tunes for the two workers down in the hole...

Ramster- I was just kidding about you blocking me. Actually, I never even noticed anyone video taping--you must move like a cat. There was a guy with "big hair" sitting in front of me though--and he turned up at several other events. I only noticed because I always felt sorry for whoever was sitting behind him.

Re: Dave MacIsaac, that's pretty funny! He probably thought the workers dug roots music, huh? Oops, I mean "eh?" (forgot I was addressing Canadians).

Oldraven- The lake is very beautiful. The Inn where we stayed had a perfect view of the lighthouse across from Baddeck. One morning, though, we looked out the back toward the lighthouse and there was an enormous cruise ship there. It moored at the government pier, about 50 feet off-shore. I didn't do any wading on the beach but apparently the water gets real deep real fast.
PMEmail Poster               
MarinePaul 
Posted: 14-Jan-2004, 12:13 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacVine

Realm: Kenmore NY USA

male

Just to throw my two cents into this topic. I saw Natalie McMaster two years ago, and as part of her show she asks if anyone is from the Maritimes. Well quite a few people spoke up and Natalie asked them where they were from. After a brief conversation, it turned out that Natalie and this one woman were distantly related.

The audience was quite amused by all of this.

I had plans to go to Celtic Colours this past year, but the military had other plans for me smile.gif Actually though, they sent me to the UK on an exchange tour, so that wasn't so bad.

Any comments on Mary Jane Lamond? She is definitely one of my favorite Celtic artists.

Paul
PMEmail Poster               
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics 2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt