valpal59 
Posted: 10-Mar-2008, 10:20 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Texas Panhandle

female

We are getting a new addition to our family in three weeks. She is a Labrador Retriever.
First, let me say that all of the puppies we have gotten thru the years have pretty much been housetrained by one of the older dogs we had at the time.
Now for the first time we do not have an older dog to help us . I have been reading about crate training. How do you feel about this and is there anyone who has done this? I would appreciate any feedback.

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.

You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

Author Unknown
PMEmail Poster               View my Facebook Profile.View My Space Profile.
Swanny 
Posted: 10-Mar-2008, 11:23 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Two Rivers, Alaska

male

I crate train all of my dogs, even the sled dogs that spend most of their lives in an outdoor kennel. An airline crate is a perfect tool for housetraining and for confining your dog when you can't be right there to supervise.

From the dog's perspective, the crate is his or her own personal space - a den or safe haven where s/he can go to rest or hide out from the scary things of the world.

Swanny

--------------------
user posted image "You can't run with the big dogs if you still pee like a puppy".

Stardancer Historical Freight Dogs, Two Rivers, Alaska.

"Aut pax, aut bellum" (Clan Gunn)
PMEmail Poster               
ctbard 
Posted: 10-Mar-2008, 12:28 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: Connecticut

female

I crate trained all my dogs, it worked really well, and they truly do love their crate, it's their cave, they go there when they one to be quiet.
I do have one dog that was abused that I adopted that was ALWAYS kept in a crate just because they didnt want to "deal" with her, she wasnt fed or excersised, she was a scrawny little thing when I got her, her growth has been stunted because of it, she's an airedale that weighs only about 40-45 pounds, my other one that I have is 90 pounds.So, I only put her in it if I really have to, and when I do I make sure she has a chewie and I put my pug in there with her and have the radio on, now she's fine. But...in general, crates are great, a yound dog can really get into trouble if your not there to stop him from chewing on electrical cords, choking on all kinds of stuff, and pooping and peeing everywhere.
So when there pups, soon as you take them out of the crate, take them out, soonas they eat, take them out, after they play, take them out, it seems like I'd be taking them out 40 times a day at first.

--------------------
The devil whispered behind the leaves, it's pretty but is it art?
Rudyard Kipling
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Rindy 
Posted: 10-Mar-2008, 12:56 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacBirch

female

I crate trainned all of my dogs through out my life and I believe in it. I think they need there own space. Once I took the crate away found one dog sleeping in the laundry basket.

Slainte
PMEmail Poster               
ctbard 
Posted: 10-Mar-2008, 01:30 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

LOL, that's cute, dogs are just so cool.
valpal59 
Posted: 11-Mar-2008, 11:57 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

female

Thanks everyone for all of the info. It sounds like it is the way to go. I appreciate all of the help.
maisky 
Posted: 11-Mar-2008, 01:34 PM
Quote Post

King of CelticRadio.net Jesters
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacVine

Realm: Easton, PA

male

Princess Paws is the first dog I have raised using crate. It saved the shoes, clothes, house and neighborhood. rolleyes.gif

She loves her "kennel". She never gives any problems about going in. She lets me know if she needs to go out, at night, by picking up her ball and dropping it, repeatedly.

--------------------
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
Carl Sagan
PMEmail PosterUsers Website               
valpal59 
Posted: 12-Mar-2008, 09:28 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

female

Found out that they are already starting to crate train the puppies. We will get her March 21. So hopefully our training will go smoothly. I'll post pictures as soon as we get her.
Thanks again everyone for your help.
DesertRose 
Posted: 14-Apr-2008, 07:14 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: The desert of Arizona

female

Valpal, I am very excited for you!

I crate trained all my 7 Shelties as well. One still goes in there for bed at night.

I strongly believe in the practice as they have their own safe, secure place and dogs are like den animals and like a little cave like place. I put a blanket on top that drapes over the back and that makes it all the more cave-like.

Hope that helps. Well, sounds like it already has!

--------------------
Fine art & photography by DESERT ROSE IMAGES
http://www.desertrose-images.com
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMy Photo Album               
ctbard 
Posted: 15-Apr-2008, 08:35 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

I also throw a balnket on the crate, and call it their cubby, so when I want them to get in it, I just tell them to get in their cubby and they trot right in, my female airedale goes in thhers when she wants to get away from the younger dog.
Even the parrot yells out cubby! cubby! when they go in them.
valpal59 
Posted: 15-Apr-2008, 11:22 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

female

It didn't take long to crate train Bailey. She is really good about using her crate. I also put a blanket over it. She is in the crate from 8:00-12:00 and 2:00-5:00 during the week. Hubby and I have different lunch hours. We bought a baby gate to use at night so she is confined to the bedroom. I leave the door open on the crate and she will sleep in there now and then. Most of the time she will sleep on her bed on my side of the bed. She is pretty much housetrained, so when she gets a little older and doesn't destroy everything she will have run of the house. This was so much easier when we had an older dog and would get a new puppy.
DesertRose 
Posted: 18-Apr-2008, 07:16 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: The desert of Arizona

female

hey Valpal! So very happy to hear your new girl is working out well. It all takes time and much patience.

Would love to see a pic of your new baby!
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMy Photo Album               
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics 2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt