ZodiacOak

Realm: Toronto, CAN

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #74
241,044 Gold!

Medieval Graves

user posted image

According to archaeologists, a reopened grave usually indicates grave robbery. Martine van Haperen, however, draws a different conclusion. Mediaeval people presumably reopened graves to strengthen the ties with their family ancestors: they would take objects with a strong symbolic significance. Van Haperen even acted as a detective and reconstructed the contents of such a robbed grave. She will defend her doctoral thesis on Tuesday 16 May at Leiden University. Her research was funded from the NWO programme PhDs in the Humanities.

In the early Middle Ages (450 - 800 AD), dead people were often buried with valuable items such as jewellery, weapons and earthenware pots. Martine van Haperen discovered that the people who reopened the graves certainly did not take everything. They mainly took the objects with an important symbolic significance, such as swords and shields from the male graves and jewellery from female graves. These were possibly viewed as the carriers of mythical and ancestral powers...

Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2017-05-medieval-peop...honour.html#jCp

--------------------
Celtic Radio DJ
http://www.CelticRadio.net
Celtic Radio Music Network
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.View my Linked-In Profile.View my Google plus Profile.View my Twitter Profile.View My Space Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
BlasterSponge 
Posted: 11-Sep-2017, 08:41 AM
Quote Post

Peasant

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacHolly

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #19
54,071 Gold!

This is an interesting article. At the end of the day it is still grave robbery. It doesn't make sense to bury your dead with anything if you don't intend it to stay there forever. Yes, the people in those ages may have believed it was not grave robbing, but that just means they were likely misled in some flawed culture.
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]