Leelee 
Posted on 07-Aug-2008, 12:43 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacIvy

Realm: Alberta, Canada

female

Yes, I have tried Haggis (again) at the 19th Annual Highland Gathering in July. Not bad; can say it is an acquired taste. Will I eat it again? Sure, just try not to think what the ingredients are and ye should be fine thumbs_up.gif

Me ma either made Haggis or she purchased it from the Butcher; that was the only other time I ate Haggis. I was quite young at the time so, I can't tell you whether I loved it or hated it back in the day biggrin.gif
PM               
Camac
Posted on 07-Aug-2008, 01:47 PM
Quote Post

Main: Registration
Questions: Help
Important: Rules

Zodiac

LEELEE;

They didn't have canned Haggis when I was young but if they did my Mom would have served it and I wouldn't had to wait till my 20s to eat it.

Camac.

LadyOfAvalon 
Posted on 07-Aug-2008, 06:18 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacIvy

female

My stomach is back to a ''semblant'' of normal tonight.
So go on with your stories on the delicacies of haggis... fear.gif I'll keep on reading and harden myself for the next ''descriptive'' post.

LOA

--------------------
"Few men are brave:many become so through training and discipline."
Flavius Vegetius Renatus

"I think a hero is an ordinary individual who finds strenght to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles."
Christopher Reeve
PM My Photo Album               
Patch 
Posted on 07-Aug-2008, 08:22 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: America, Mid West

male

I think a lot of food likes and dislikes are born in ones youth. If you try something as a child and it isn't repulsive, you will like it as an adult. My son turned my daughter against beets with tales of blood and etc. I didn't know it till she was in her late 20's. The Indian Sun Dance is a prime example. If you are fortunate enough to be invited, you can "dine" with the various tribes. Some of the food was repulsive to me and some was not bad. They each thought their own food was great. It's all in what you are used to.

Slàinte,   

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
Leelee 
Posted on 14-Aug-2008, 10:26 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

female

They didn't have canned Haggis when I was young but if they did my Mom would have served it and I wouldn't had to wait till my 20s to eat it.

They have canned Haggis now unsure.gif No thank you.....original preparation or nothing at all....that's the only way to go wink.gif
PM               
Patch 
Posted on 14-Aug-2008, 10:48 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

QUOTE (Leelee @ 14-Aug-2008, 12:26 PM)

They have canned Haggis now unsure.gif No thank you.....original preparation or nothing at all....that's the only way to go wink.gif

Canned Haggis would be similar to canned dog food with maybe a little less texture. That is NOT a thought to dwell on! I had an uncle who found canned dog food in an other container in the refrigerator and made a sandwich with it. He thought it was sandwich spread and complimented my Aunt for making it. The state here had a contract with a dog food manufacturer to take road kill animals to be made into pet food. Some of them were pretty "tender" if you get the drift.

Slàinte,       

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
Leelee 
Posted on 14-Aug-2008, 04:00 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

female

Canned Haggis would be similar to canned dog food with maybe a little less texture.

Okay, um......that's just UCK!!!!! puke.gif oops....sorry unsure.gif
PM               
JKING62370 
  Posted on 14-Aug-2008, 04:45 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacAsh

male

I REASLLY LIKE THE OUTLANDER QUOTES. LET'S HAVE MORE wink.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Patch 
Posted on 14-Aug-2008, 05:13 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

QUOTE (Leelee @ 14-Aug-2008, 06:00 PM)

Okay, um......that's just UCK!!!!! puke.gif oops....sorry unsure.gif

I apologize. I was just thinking of Haggis, placed in a can and cooked to destroy bacteria. I wasn't really clear, the dog food would have less texture than the canned Haggis.

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
Leelee 
Posted on 14-Aug-2008, 05:29 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

female

I REASLLY LIKE THE OUTLANDER QUOTES. LET'S HAVE MORE 

Okay JKING62370, we'll work on that smile.gif An "Outlander" fan, are ye?

Okay, um......that's just UCK!!!!!  oops....sorry 

I apologize. I was just thinking of Haggis, placed in a can and cooked to destroy bacteria. I wasn't really clear, the dog food would have less texture than the canned Haggis.

Okay, Patch I got'cha wink.gif
PM               
Leelee 
Posted on 15-Aug-2008, 04:56 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

female

Hi JKING62370, welcome to Celtic Radio biggrin.gif Glad ye found this awesome Community thumbs_up.gif Lots of great music, forums and of course, meeting the wonderful members of this Community smile.gif Enjoy!!! I will be looking forward to reading your posts thumbs_up.gif cheers.gif
PM               
sisterknight 
Posted on 28-Oct-2008, 09:23 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacOak

Realm: clarks corner, new brunswick

female

aaahhh come on people it's not THAT bad if done right!!!!! biggrin.gif

--------------------
non nobis domine,non nobis sed nomini tua da gloriam.

OKAY, WHAT DID I DO NOW??
PMEmail Poster               
Patch 
Posted on 28-Oct-2008, 07:37 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

I have never tasted "canned Haggis that I recall though my memory dims with age. Most modern haggis does not use the "offal" with the exception of the "paunch". Haggis for the purist is best not discussed at the table for most of those new to the experience. The Scots were a frugal bunch and wasted nothing. My Grandfather had a comment about the only part of the beast the Scots didn't eat. It wasn't what you might be thinking. The ceremony of having "The Haggis" piped into the dining room is a ceremony in the finest tradition of Robert Burns.

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
Patch 
Posted on 21-Nov-2008, 06:02 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

Below is a very OLD recipe for Haggis. "Lights" are lungs and pinhead oatmeal I believe is steel cut oatmeal.

Haggis

Stomach bag and pluck

(heart, liver and lights of a sheep you can substitute a selection of organ meats)

2 onions, peeled

2 c pinhead oatmeal

1 2/3 c suet

salt &pepper

trussing needle and fine string

Thoroughly wash the stomach bag in cold water. Turn it inside out and scald it, then scrape the surface with a knife. Soak it in cold salted water overnight. Next day remove the bag from the water and leave it on one side while preparing the filling. Wash the pluck. Put it into a pan, with the windpipe hanging over the side into a bowl, to let out any impurities. Cover the pluck with cold water, add 1 teaspoon of salt and bring the water to a boil. Skim the surface, then simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Meanwhile parboil the onions, drain, reserving the liquid, and chop them roughly. Also toast the pinhead oatmeal until golden brown. Drain the pluck when ready and cut away the windpipe and any excess gristle. Mince half the liver with all the heart and lights, then stir in the shredded suet, the toasted oatmeal and the onions. Season well with salt and pepper. Moisten with as much of the onion or pluck water as necessary to make the mixture soft. With the rough surface of the bag outside fill it just over half full, the oatmeal will swell during cooking, and sew the ends together with the trussing needle and fine string. Prick the bag in places with the needle. Place the haggis on and enamel plate and put it into a pan of boiling water. Cover the pan and cook for about 3 hours, adding more boiling water when necessary to keep the haggis covered.

I have a modern recipe which calls for baking after boiling the Haggis.

Enjoy!

Slàinte,    

Patch
PMEmail Poster               
drummie 
Posted on 21-Nov-2008, 08:56 PM
Quote Post

Servant

ZodiacBirch

Realm: East Falmouth MA.

male

It almost never fails that at any highland games i go to, that the post get together always involves Haggis. I have had it on Ritz, saltines, toast, strait up and in shepherds pie, not too bad. Mind you, that I also had about 4 or 5 drams of Belvine Scotch in me.
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]