DesertRose 
Posted: 11-Nov-2009, 02:42 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAlder

Realm: The desert of Arizona

female

Many of you know we have had Shelties (Shetland Sheepdogs) for over 25 years. My hubby, on the other hand, has been wanting an Old English Sheepdog for many of those years and I said no....shame on me. For our 25th wedding anniversary I was able to give hubby his dream dog. We got hubby a 9 week old pup this past Saturday.

Hubby named him Connor in keeping with the tradition of naming all our dogs with Irish names due to both our Irish heritage.

Connor has surprised me greatly cause I am used to dealing with Shelties. At almost 10 weeks of age, Connor is very intelligent and intuitive for a dog his age. Yes, he is puppy and has made some mistakes in the house and chews, chews, chews, but that goes with puppy territory of that age. The great thing is how full of personality he is and has such eagerness for life. I have never been around a dog who has such.

He has baby teeth that are like razor blades. If only I could teach him not to bite so hard. He doesn't mean to, but just hasn't learned yet how to control his mouth. Any advice on this?

My Shelties had fun with him the first day he arrived, but now are so bothered with all Connor's playfulness, they are like leave me alone already! LOL Riley will play with Connor on Riley's terms.

Anyway, I am keeping a daily photo diary of Connor as well as Shelties, Riley and Irish. If you wish to peruse and make any comments, feel free.

I also need advice on puppy training as it has been 25 years since I have trained pups of this young age.

Here's the link. Hope you enjoy the pics. If you want? Tune in from time to time on the web album as I will be adding new pics all the time

http://picasaweb.google.com/desertrose413/...urNewPupConnor#

Thanks all!

--------------------
Fine art & photography by DESERT ROSE IMAGES
http://www.desertrose-images.com
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMy Photo Album               
Shadows 
Posted: 11-Nov-2009, 02:54 PM
Quote Post

Reader of souls, vision seeker, TROLL
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: The frontier of Penn's Woods

male

Sounds like you will have your hands full LOL!

Will check out the photos and leave a comment there.

Good Luck!

Shadows

--------------------
I support the separation of church and hate!

IMAGINATION - the freest and largest nation in the world!

One can not profess to be of "GOD" and show intolerence and prejudice towards the beliefs of others.

Am fear nach gleidh na h–airm san t–sith, cha bhi iad aige ’n am a’ chogaidh.
He that keeps not his arms in time of peace will have none in time of war.

"We're all in this together , in the parking lot between faith and fear" ... O.C.M.S.

“Beasts feed; man eats; only the man of intellect knows how to eat well.”

"Without food we are nothing, without history we are lost." - SHADOWS

Is iomadh duine laghach a mhill an Creideamh.
Religion has spoiled many a good man.

The clan MacEwen
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               
Irish Stepper 
Posted: 12-Nov-2009, 01:21 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

Realm: Maryland

female

He's so cute! And so big already! biggrin.gif

For the biting, I used to to take my thumb nail and press down either on their tongue or under their tongue whenever they took a bite of my hand. It hurts them and they associate a little bit of pain with biting you. They get the message really quick. And no...I'm not a meanie to my doggies. wink.gif

--------------------

user posted image
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
Rindy 
Posted: 12-Nov-2009, 07:50 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacBirch

female

DesertRose ah Connor is a beauty! I always loved this breed. I saw a shaved one the other day and thought to myself just didn't do it justice.

As far as the biting Irish Steppers advice sounds good. I will have to try that. There's nothing sharper than good ol puppy teeth....

I alway just firmly clutched my hand over the nose of the dog tight but not too tight and if that doesn't work try "the claw" grip underneath the dogs neck, flip him down which says I don't believe in this behavior and say "No Bite" Easier said than done with a big dog.

Let us know how things are going with Connor-can't wait to see more photos. What a cutie he is.

Slainte
PMEmail Poster               
englishmix 
Posted: 13-Nov-2009, 01:12 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: My place

Very nice pictures, full of fun and lovin'. My pomeranian never bites, just barks. And she barks hello to your dogs.
PMEmail Poster                
DesertRose 
Posted: 17-Nov-2009, 01:34 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

Thanks all! Connor is now 10 weeks old and not yet taller than our Shelties, but I know he will be. He is a great dog with full of personality. He even seems like an old soul to me...does that make sense?

Thanks all for your advice in regards to puppy biting. But he is learning.

Rindy, my hubby has always loved this breed as well. They are actually very skinny but develop a boatload of fur that makes them look heavier. Connor is very lively, energetic, adaptable and tries to get along with everyone. Sadly, our eldest dog, Irish, a female of 12 years, doesn't want to bother with him and doesn't hesitate to let him know.

Anyway, so far everything is going well. Thanks to all who took time to look at his photos. I will photograph him once a week now instead of every obnoxious day. laugh.gif
Rindy 
Posted: 20-Nov-2009, 10:07 AM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacBirch

female

Hi DesertRose boy you'd never know they're skinny with all that hair. I understand Irish's feelings. May be a bit jealous? I look forward to the photos and watching and hearing the stories of Connor.

Slainte
PMEmail Poster               
DesertRose 
Posted: 01-Dec-2009, 01:26 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

Hey all! Connor will be starting *puppy school* this Saturday for eight weeks. Since he is going to be so big and so fast, I figured I had better get a good handle on him should he decide to be naughty. Connor is such a great dog until today. I am including photos as to why. LOL

http://picasaweb.google.com/desertrose413/...urNewPupConnor#
valpal59 
Posted: 01-Dec-2009, 10:05 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Texas Panhandle

female

Hello DesertRose. Hope you are well? I just found this thread. I don't get here very often anymore.
Congratulations on the new addition. Conner is soooo adorable. Hubby and I just looked at all of the photos. Laughing and going "yep, just went through that and still going through it every now and then". Your babies are so gorgeous. You took some really great pictures. It was nice to see new pictures of Irish and Riley. The pictures you took of the three of them are awesome.
Take care and I look forward to more pictures.

Val

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.

You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

Author Unknown
PMEmail Poster               View my Facebook Profile.View My Space Profile.
DesertRose 
Posted: 05-Dec-2009, 12:30 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

Thanks Valpal for your kind comments and comments of commiseration having a puppy.

Connor was to start puppy school tomorrow morning but that got postponed a week later due to him having puppy mange aka walking dandruff which is highly contagious! Great!

I have to treat my other dogs and such, but the good news is that the trainer is going to work with me and Connor one-on-one to catch us up for next class.

Connor really is a very sweet dog, but plays way too rough and hard and is very willful. These things we need to nip in the bud before he gets too big. One day he can be the sweetest pup on the planet. The next day he can be the "devil dog!" Argh!

Rindy, I would say that Irish is indeed jealous. She has always been a jealous girl of attention, but she is also so very independent!

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
©2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics ©2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt