Posted: 05-Jul-2004, 05:40 PM
Quote Post

Master At Arms
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Southern U.S.

male

I think both sets of books give women the credit they deserve, and recognize there abilities.

--------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ![SIZE=7][COLOR=green][CENTER]
PMEmail Poster               
greenldydragon 
Posted: 05-Jul-2004, 05:51 PM
Quote Post

Mistress of Dragons
Group Icon

Group: Wales
ZodiacHazel

female

I had planned on getting them to read from the library, but unfortunately they don't carry those two series...

--------------------
DRAGON BLESSING

May dragons bring you wealth
and guard your treasures
May they banish darkness and enlighten you
May female dragons grant you inner power
May the Dragon Queen
neutralize your enemies
May Dragon Spirits
give you power over Elementals
May weather dragons
bring rain at your request
May Ti'amat effect the changes you command
May Ishtar grant you Dragon Power
May Ishtar grant you Dragon Power
PMEmail Poster               
Kamchak 
Posted: 05-Jul-2004, 06:30 PM
Quote Post

Master At Arms
Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Southern U.S.

male

You may only find these in a book store.......
PMEmail Poster               
krmsmax 
Posted: 06-Jul-2004, 08:23 AM
Quote Post

Servant

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAsh

Realm: Memphis, Tennessee

female

I like Jordan, Lackey, Eddings, McCaffrey, and Stephen King's Dark Tower series.

--------------------
Karen Maxwell
curebox.gotdns.com
PMEmail Poster               
emerald-eyedwanderer 
  Posted: 06-Jul-2004, 06:56 PM
Quote Post

The Gypsy Artist
Group Icon

Group: Celtic Princess
ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: Wherever life takes me.

female

I am a big fan of Melanie Rawn, Robert Jordan, Marion Zimmer Bradley, Elizabeth Haydon, and Andre Norton. And of course Tolkien and King.

--------------------
Peace cannot be achieved through violence, it can only be attained through understanding. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

If you judge people you have no time to love them. ~Mother Teresa

Help Out

user posted image
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
ImmortalAvalon 
Posted: 10-Jul-2004, 02:02 PM
Quote Post

Chieftain of the Clan

ZodiacAlder

Realm: North Carolina

female

My favorite fantasy rider is Anne McCaffrey. I've read all of her Pern novels. I also like Marion Zimmer Bradley's Avalon series, Stephen Lawhead's Pendragon series, and little book by Patricia McKillip called "The Book of Atrix Wolfe".
PMEmail PosterUsers Website               
greenldydragon 
Posted: 10-Jul-2004, 02:15 PM
Quote Post

Mistress of Dragons
Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

female

I'm reading Taliesin from Lawhead at the moment! (I think it's Lawhead..)
PMEmail Poster               
reddrake79 
Posted: 10-Jul-2004, 07:20 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacRowan

Realm: oregon

male

greenladydragon -
It is Stephen R. Lawhead. Very good stories. Iv'e read the whole series except for Grail and any after that. His book: Byzantium is excelent although not fantasy.

On Fantasy and Sci-fi distinctions. I didn't see any body mention it earlier (maybe Im just too impatient smile.gif ) Many Fantasy, those that invlove wizards, dragons, aes-sedai (sp) etc, are based in worlds that fell from technology because of some cataclysm, Saberhagen's book of swords, Robert Jordon's Wheel of time So the line gets blurred alot in those types of series.

--------------------
Friendship, Love, and Loyalty
PMEmail Poster               
Crooktooth 
Posted: 16-Jul-2004, 07:01 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacAlder

Realm: California

male

You must read The Finovar Tapestry by Guy Gavriel Kay.
Go.
Go now.
Why are you not going?

Oh! Heh. The first book is called The Summer Tree.

--------------------
Putting live chickens in my enemies underwear since Dec'03
PMEmail Poster               
susieq76 
Posted: 25-Aug-2004, 04:45 PM
Quote Post

Queen of the Stars
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacVine

Realm: Middle o' North Carolina

female

I must say that I adore Tolkien, C.S. Lewis, Lawhead, and Jordan. I can admit freely that I am so daft that while reading Robert Jordan's books, I identified with them so much that I actually found myself using some of the same exclamations he uses in the books (ex: "Oh, Light" or my fave - "Blood and bloody ashes"). A fabulous Scottish author who may not be too well known is George MacDonald. He apparently was the person who most influenced C.S. Lewis (who then influenced J.R.R. Tolkien). He has a novel called "Phantastes", and it is great. It has Scottish dialect, so be prepared for that. It is a fairy story - very well done, as are some of his other books (which aren't Fantasy).

--------------------
"Alas for those who never sing and die with all their music left in them" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Spradley 
Posted: 01-Sep-2004, 06:21 PM
Quote Post

Rocky Mtn Highlander and Renaissance Scot
Group Icon

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Colorado

male

I enjoy Tolkien, Heinlein, McCaffery, Patricia McKillip, Zimmer Bradley and Piers Anthony to name some.

Slainte beer_mug.gif

--------------------
Sláinte

Brad

Deus Juvat "God Assists"

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
Robert A. Heinlein

user posted image
PMEmail Poster               
Kahlan Eyre 
Posted: 03-Sep-2004, 12:33 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacVine

Realm: lost in university...

female

I believe a few people have mentioned Terry Goodkind. I cannot say enough about how amazingly wonderful his books are. For the uninitiated, he writes a series called the Sword of Truth, the first book being Wizard's First Rule. I think he's up to book 7? or 8, with the latest coming out sometime next year.

His books go beyond simple fantasy or science-fiction, in my opinion. The way he combines those two things with action, adventure, magic, love, mystery...not to mention a basic storyline of good v. evil (along with the questions of "what is good? what is evil? is it evil to do harm for the common good? and then some!). Seroiusly though, I feel like I'm his publicity agent, laugh.gif , but I really can't voice how touching and moving his books are, and how much I've enjoyed them. I discovered him just out of high school and am eternally grateful that I did so. biggrin.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Cailiosa 
Posted: 10-Sep-2004, 06:03 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Western Kentucky

female

QUOTE (erickbloodax @ 24-Jun-2004, 09:43 PM)
P.S. Pat O'Shea, "The Hounds of the Morrigan" a very good book based on Celtic folk lore.

I adore this book--so funny!

Another good set to read is one by Marjorie B. Kellogg. The name of the series (if you can call it that--it's a set of four books) escapes my mind at the moment, but it's about dragons and their guides. The first book is called The Book of Earth. I've yet to read the fourth book, but the preceeding three were quite good. I recommend you all check it out.

--------------------
"For man He suffered and He died:
If man will take His word as guide
And leave all infamy,
Then we shall come to happiness
And blisses more than we can guess in Jesu's company."

Check out my journal
PMEmail Poster               
greenldydragon 
Posted: 12-Sep-2004, 12:14 PM
Quote Post

Mistress of Dragons
Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

female

I just finished reading the first book of a group of books by Elizabeth Kerner. The first one was "Song in the Silence" and it was AMAZING! I love that book... the second book "The Lesser Kindred" is just as great! I highly recommend the series.
PMEmail Poster               
Taliesin 
Posted: 12-Oct-2004, 11:50 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Central Valley, California, USA

male

Oooooooooo! I love fantasy! My favorite authors? Ok...with comments!

J.R.R. Tolkien - I like Tolkien, but he's not my favorite. I think the movies did a good job of capturing a lot of the book's themes and such. However, Tolkien is difficult for a lot of people to get into. Tolkien was primarily a linguist and historian, and sometimes his books read like a history book. I'll tell you what I find most amazing about his books...he created an entire world, filled with history and peoples that are completely developed. In reading the Lord of the Rings, you come across so many legends and historical stories it's easy to forget that you're reading fiction.

Robert Jordan - My one-time favorite author, but I'm getting sick of his books. That is sad, I know, but there's no drama anymore. I don't want to give anything away, but if you want to discuss in more depth why I'm not as drawn to Jordan as I used to be, Private Message me...I'll be happy to talk about it. Jordan also has done a good job, however, at creating a world from nothing complete with history and legends galore.

Melanie Rawn - I was so happy to finally see someone mention her. Specifically, I love the Dragon Prince and Dragon Star trilogies. If you are looking for a new author, pick her up...she is an amazing writer. Never have I fallen so in love with fictional characters. I think I actually had a massive crush on Sioned. wink.gif She is expert at weaving love and true emotion into her stories. Tears came to my eyes in many places in her novels. However, beware, she has some mature themes in her novels. It's not TOO graphic, I don't think. (My wife could finish them, and she's pretty sensitive to some of that.) However, the characters can be quite frank about sex sometimes. If that bothers you, then you may want to have someone preview these books for you. It's not TOO terribly bad, though, and the rest of the story is worth it. My wife described Melanie Rawn's Dragon Prince and Dragon Star novels like this: "They're like fantasy romance novels." wink.gif I agree with her, for the most part, but there's enough fantasy in them to make them fantasy more than romance. smile.gif

Stephen R. Lawhead - Lawhead has been one of my favorite authors for a very long time. Specifically, I love the Pendragon Cycle. (Taliesin, Merlin, Arthur, Pendragon, Grail, and the slightly connected Avalon.) I have yet to read the Song of Albion trilogy, though that is something that I REALLY want to read. I just got Patrick: Son of Ireland, so I'll be reading that as soon as I'm done with the Celtic Crusades trilogy. I liked the Celtic Crusades books that I've read, but they're not as good as the Pendragon Cycle. I recently wrote Lawhead a letter thanking him for his books, and he replied, very gracious. He is a very cool guy. I have also read some of Lawhead's Science Fiction, and I was VERY pleased with that as well. His Empyrion Saga is an excellent read. And Dream Thief, though hard for me to get into for some reason was also very good.

George R. R. Martin - Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see anyone mention Martin. He apparently has written Science Fiction for a long time, and this is his first major foray into the world of fantasy, and I for one and grateful he did it. The Song of Ice and Fire is an excellent story, though definitely for mature audiences. His characters are gritty and real. Flaws are highlighted rather than hidden, and there are few characters you genuinely like without reservation. My favorite right now is Tyrion, but I will be the first to admit, he's not a nice guy in the least. smile.gif His stories are very much into Political Maneuvering, and are very detailed. Look forward to book 4 coming out soon. Or has it already come out? I need to go look!! smile.gif

Those are my major favorite authors. I also enjoy the first three books to the DragonLance series, but they're not the best. I like them because they most closely resemble the story that results from a role-playing game group's adventures, and RPG's are another of my hobbies.

-Chris

--------------------
-Taliesin

A Scotsman Abroad
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
©2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics ©2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt