Patch 
Posted: 30-Jun-2008, 06:29 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacIvy

Realm: America, Mid West

male

QUOTE (DesertRose @ 30-Jun-2008, 01:19 PM)
Hello all!

we are supposed to be approaching our monsoon season here in the desert which means flood rains, dust storms and humidity. So far, in my area, we have only had one area be affected. Guess I need to go out and give my cactus plants their once a month watering.

all goes well here. Just been very busy or I have been flat on my back. Please do not take the latter as whining, but the reason I cannot get on here every day as I would like.

My doggies are doing well.

I am hoping to go to Flagstaff for the 1745 Jacobite re-enactment event at the Flagstaff Highland games in a few weeks. The event is July 18-20th. Hope to see the Wicked Tinkers perform most of all! And most of all I hope to see many of you who can make it to the event. I will will be at the 1745 Jacobite re-enactment camp, which every organization places us as far as possible due to our black powder demonstrations and safety.

More soon!

I posted this under weather but my neighbor gave me three Starts from a pretty big barrel cactus. They are vicious little things. His were in bloom (30 of them). I hope I can grow these. I need to find my tweezers as I am sure my dog will check them out!

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
gwenlee 
Posted: 01-Jul-2008, 01:27 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacAlder

female

Just a quick note to say hello and hope everyone is doing well.

I wrote something yesterday and when I hit the add reply my computer shut itself off. Oh well that is technology.

Gwyn. I was in the mountains and I didn't feel any movement. I guess because it was just a little shake.

Guys I think eating bugs is against my religion unless I am starving. Yuk!!! An no way would I ruin good chocolate just to try the crunchy little critters. Give me a big steak anytime.

Not much is going on right now. My son has left to go to college and we have already converted the room.

I am going to have family and friends over for the 4th for a cook out and then to watch the fireworks.

Well take care

gwenlee

PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
UlsterScotNutt 
Posted: 01-Jul-2008, 07:14 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: New England, USA

male

QUOTE (Patch @ 30-Jun-2008, 07:12 PM)
I might be able to do that. I noticed living around the Navaho and Southern Ute Indians in Southwest Colorado that some insects are bitter. Are these?

Slàinte,    

Patch    

Typically the bitterness is from what the insects are eating. Yes, thats why many people remove the wings and legs as they can have a slightly bitter taste, I don't mind it. This is why you prefer the newly hatched cicadas, they are the best, the females also are good. Big reason you remove the head and entrails from the grasshoppers also is they are very bitter. I never like the candy coated bugs, it is an attempt to mask the insect plus the crunchiness is not my favorite texture with chocolate and they are definitely not fun to lick in a lollipop. Fried, grilled or roasted are best.
I read in article in I think National Geographics about paleolithic peoples in the Americas ate insects in very large amounts as a ready and easy source of protien, later the neolithic peoples would supplement their gathering and farming with insects. This was determined through their coprolites.
USN

--------------------
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. Plato(427-347 BC) Philosopher and Educator

Three things in human life are important: The first is to be kind. The second is to be kind. And the third is to be kind. Henry James (1843-1916) Writer

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire
kind people. -Abraham Joshua Heschel (1907-1972) Theology Professor
John Clements 
Posted: 01-Jul-2008, 08:58 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacElder

male

QUOTE (UlsterScotNutt @ 01-Jul-2008, 08:14 AM)
I might be able to do that.  I noticed living around the Navaho and Southern Ute Indians in Southwest Colorado that some insects are bitter.  Are these?

Slàinte,    

Patch    

Typically the bitterness is from what the insects are eating. Yes, thats why many people remove the wings and legs as they can have a slightly bitter taste, I don't mind it. This is why you prefer the newly hatched cicadas, they are the best, the females also are good. Big reason you remove the head and entrails from the grasshoppers also is they are very bitter. I never like the candy coated bugs, it is an attempt to mask the insect plus the crunchiness is not my favorite texture with chocolate and they are definitely not fun to lick in a lollipop. Fried, grilled or roasted are best.
I read in article in I think National Geographics about paleolithic peoples in the Americas ate insects in very large amounts as a ready and easy source of protien, later the neolithic peoples would supplement their gathering and farming with insects. This was determined through their coprolites.
USN

Next thing the world will be one big Donner Party.

I think I rather starve.

Later,
JC

--------------------
We’re all poets, only some of us write it down. JC 9/27/08

Anyone who has the courage to disagree, deserves all do respect. JC 4/28/08

Life is a loosing battle, so you might as well live it up.
J.C. 3/29/08

Life should be like skiing, you have the most fun on the way down. J.C. 8/17/07

Take their word for it, and that’s just what you’ll get.
J.C. 3/19/07

Only the truth is worth the ultimate sacrifice.
J.C. 1/26/06

Compared to the far right, the far left is somewhere in the middle. J.C. 2/22/06

I’ll be the first to apologies, as long as I get one back.
J.C. 3/7/06

It’s a happy man, who can laugh at himself.

If you’re looking for a new experience, don’t hire someone with a lot of it. J.C. sometime in 1990
PMEmail Poster               
Patch 
Posted: 01-Jul-2008, 09:20 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

QUOTE (John Clements @ 01-Jul-2008, 03:58 AM)
I might be able to do that.  I noticed living around the Navaho and Southern Ute Indians in Southwest Colorado that some insects are bitter.  Are these?

Slàinte,    

Patch    

USN

I think I rather starve.

Later,
JC

I hope it doesn't come to that but with the projected food shortages, who knows what will happen. I will eat all the rabbits and squirrels in the neighborhood first.

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
UlsterScotNutt 
Posted: 01-Jul-2008, 09:43 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

male

Have to be careful you don't suffer from rabbit starvation!!!
Patch 
Posted: 01-Jul-2008, 12:29 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

QUOTE (UlsterScotNutt @ 01-Jul-2008, 04:43 AM)
Have to be careful you don't suffer from rabbit starvation!!!

They are on their second or third litter this year already(if that is what you call them)! If I could get potatos, carrots and onions to eat with them I could make one last for 4 meals.

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
iolanda 
Posted: 01-Jul-2008, 02:14 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacWillow

Realm: Rieti ( Lazio )

female

QUOTE (John Clements @ 01-Jul-2008, 09:58 AM)

Slàinte,    

Patch    

USN

I think I rather starve.

Later,
JC

laugh.gif Dear UlsterScotNutt & Patch,
at first I thought you were joking about cicadas, but are you serious!!!???

huh.gif shocking.gif
If it's true (I've the heebie.jeebies only thinking about....),I'm joining to John Clements: I think rather starve... thumbs_up.gif
::byeSlàinte
note.gif Iolanda

--------------------
]Happy who, hovers over the life..feels the language and the fragrance of the simple things and the flowers.. (C. Baudelaire)

If you lose, don't lose the lesson ... (XIV Dalai Lama)
PMEmail Poster               View my Linked-In Profile.View my Google plus Profile.View my Twitter Profile.View My Space Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
Patch 
Posted: 01-Jul-2008, 03:29 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

QUOTE (iolanda @ 01-Jul-2008, 09:14 AM)
QUOTE (John Clements @ 01-Jul-2008, 09:58 AM)

Slàinte,    

Patch    

USN

I think I rather starve.

Later,
JC

laugh.gif Dear UlsterScotNutt & Patch,
at first I thought you were joking about cicadas, but are you serious!!!???

huh.gif shocking.gif
If it's true (I've the heebie.jeebies only thinking about....),I'm joining to John Clements: I think rather starve... thumbsup.gif
::byeSlàinte
note.gif Iolanda

Yes I would be willing to try it. Having lived near the Southern Ute Indian Reservation and worked with Navaho indians, I saw some strange things devoured with gusto! I drew the line at roast prairie dog, Navaho style. Bugs and grubbs weren't TOO bad. Over the world people eat some strange things.

Slàinte,    

Patch    

PMEmail Poster               
UlsterScotNutt 
Posted: 02-Jul-2008, 09:17 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

male

laugh.gif laugh.gif
I often wonder who was the first person to look at a lobster and say" Hmmm, that might be tasty, think I'll try it!!" or clams and oysters or any of the rather ugly foodstuffs. The Travel Channel has that program Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern, I would try about half of what he does and I thought I was adventurous.
Camac
Posted: 02-Jul-2008, 12:05 PM
Quote Post

Main: Registration
Questions: Help
Important: Rules

Zodiac

QUOTE (UlsterScotNutt @ 02-Jul-2008, 10:17 AM)
laugh.gif laugh.gif
I often wonder who was the first person to look at a lobster and say" Hmmm, that might be tasty, think I'll try it!!" or clams and oysters or any of the rather ugly foodstuffs. The Travel Channel has that program Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern, I would try about half of what he does and I thought I was adventurous.

USN;

I have a rule about food. "If it don't eat me I'll eat it."

Camac. rolleyes.gif

Patch 
Posted: 02-Jul-2008, 04:19 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

QUOTE (Camac @ 02-Jul-2008, 07:05 AM)
QUOTE (UlsterScotNutt @ 02-Jul-2008, 10:17 AM)
laugh.gif  laugh.gif

USN;

I have a rule about food. "If it don't eat me I'll eat it."

Camac. rolleyes.gif

Imagine the mistakes made with plants!

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
MDF3530 
Posted: 02-Jul-2008, 05:40 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Midlothian, IL

male

Hey everyone!

Been a few days since I posted here, so I thought I'd pop in and say hello!

I went to my town's fireworks show this past Saturday. It's part of an all day carnival they have the weekend before Independence Day. I took about 40 pictures, and maybe ten of them were keepers. I've posted them on my Flickr page if anyone wants to take a look. I plan on going to some of the neighboring towns' fireworks shows tomorrow, the 4th and 5th.

It's nice that towns stagger their celebrations like that, to give people a chance to go to more than one.

--------------------
Mike F.

May the Irish hills caress you.
May her lakes and rivers bless you.
May the luck of the Irish enfold you.
May the blessings of Saint Patrick behold you.

user posted image
CelticRoz 
Posted: 02-Jul-2008, 07:41 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

QUOTE (Patch @ 30-Jun-2008, 07:29 PM)
QUOTE (DesertRose @ 30-Jun-2008, 01:19 PM)
Hello all! 

we are supposed to be approaching our monsoon season here in the desert which means flood rains, dust storms and humidity. So far, in my area, we have only had one area be affected.  Guess I need to go out and give my cactus plants their once a month watering. 

I posted this under weather but my neighbor gave me three Starts from a pretty big barrel cactus. They are vicious little things. His were in bloom (30 of them). I hope I can grow these. I need to find my tweezers as I am sure my dog will check them out!

Slàinte,    

Patch    

Patch, I seriously thought about planting one of those barrel cactus in my back yard, just so I could have quick access to photographing them when they bloom. Thought better of it cause I have three nosy dogs who would probably get their eye poked out cause those thorns are long!

It is interesting what the world over does indeed eat. I love fish and eat lots of it. I studied Native American history for years and was always saddened and mortified when I would read about tribes who ate dogs and horses. But one had to do what they had to do or starve. I say I don't eat much meat and I really don't, but then I am a hypocrite because my in-laws who hunt wild game, I'll be the first in line to eat it. And I do love a good steak every now and then. rolleyes.gif

Our monsoon season is still having a rough time getting started. So it is still pretty hot here. Right now at 6:30 p.m., it is 112...eck!

Anyway, wanted to say hi. Been reading your posts but at times I don't feel like replying. All is well here, just hot and trying to stay out of it.

Take care all!
leenie 
Posted: 02-Jul-2008, 08:32 PM
Quote Post

Queen of the Devil Riders
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacBirch

Realm: Illinois

female

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #35
39,518 Gold!

I can't believe it's July already...sheesh...where's the time going? Thanks for all the congratulations everyone...she is just adorable...can't wait until she's old enough to play with.... still don't have my kilt...getting very frustrated with the shop...they said the tartan factory in Scotland got confused and now they have it on priority order... good thing it wasn't a priority...I ordered it 5 months ago. Our weather has gotten hot and humid here. Supposed to have storms and lots of rain over the next couple of days. Will probably mess up some fireworks displays. The one I was thinking about going to is on Saturday...so maybe I'll be lucky and get to see some. Hope everyone has a wonderful 4th.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]