Posted: 07-Mar-2009, 02:39 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

Realm: New York

QUOTE (Camac @ 07-Mar-2009, 01:28 PM)
stoirmeil;

Alexander Grahame Bell chose Cape Breton as his home because it was the closest to the Highlands that could be found outside of Scotland. Old Ravens' pics are gorgeous.

Camac

Did you know they are geologically related of old, my dear? The top half of Scotland above the diagonal rift came in from the west on a shifting tectonic plate many millions of years ago, all the way from the vicinity of Nova Scotia, and ground to a stop on the southern half. Everything about it is different from the south: the stone, the formations, the life it will support -- everything. Even the kind of Scotsman it will produce, as I firmly believe.

A Highlander for me.
PMEmail Poster               
Camac
Posted: 07-Mar-2009, 03:54 PM
Quote Post

Main: Registration
Questions: Help
Important: Rules

Zodiac

stoirmeil;

I did not know that as I have never thought about the geology. Now that you have mentioned it no wonder there is such an affinity between Scotland and Canada.I know I should not do this but just one last little note for glaswegian. Up until the 1960s' there was more Scots-Gaelic spoken in Cape Breton that there was in Scotland. In certain parts it was the only language spoken.

Camac.

oldraven 
Posted: 09-Mar-2009, 06:25 PM
Quote Post

The Protector of the Unknown
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Guysborough Co., Nova Scotia

male

Absolutely true, Camac. But it has since suffered the same fate and has been fully replaced by English as the first language of all Cape Breton residents. Thankfully, our Province has put a lot of resources into reviving the language by promoting Gaelic classes for all ages after hours in select schools, as well as day time classes for the children to get them acquainted with the speech their parents let go. St. Andrews Elementary School in Antigonish Co. is one example of this, and the students had a float in the parade for the Antigonish Highland Games where they brandished posters with Gaelic phrases, greetings, etc., and sang Gaelic songs. There is also St. Anne's Gaelic College in the heart of the Cape Breton Highlands, where many aspects of traditional Gaelic culture are studied. Last, but certainly not least, Antigonish Co. has added a second language to all of their road signs on high traffic highways. This is probably the most important, as it is something we can see every day, though I'm sure one in 200 can properly pronounce the names (myself included, as I've only begun to understand the phonetic structures of the speech). wink.gif

Well, all I can say is thank you so very much. Coming into this thread gives me both a huge boost to my ego, (which probably doesn't need the help), and joy at knowing others get to see the beauty I've been lucky enough to capture and share. I've said it before, the only art involved with nature photography is in trying to show it in its' best light. It's already there. wink.gif

Valpal, any chance to to to the Island I'll take. tongue.gif

That being said, it turns out those photos DO have a bit of touching up. I didn't remember doing it, but going back on the office PC, (I use it primarily for photography now and photoshop work for clients. Day to day, we use the laptop.), I saw that they were doctored. I'm just now learning about colour manipulation, though I'm not sure how to keep these darker areas (river) from hazing out without contrasts turning the entire section black. I've read a bit about layering the photos, so you can take two identical (tripod) photos at different settings and paste them back together later. One photo for the trees and sky, another for the river and rocks. Maybe someday I'll have the time to try that out. biggrin.gif

user posted image

user posted image

To give this photo some perspective, this is shot about 35-40 degrees from vertical, not horizontal. You can see a ledge below with trees growing on it. This is taken from the same height as the other shots looking over at the Cabot Trail highway. Those trees farther below.... I couldn't even guess how far down they are. Try not to get vertigo. wink.gif There are no railings here, but there is a $5000 fine attached to taking one step off of the boardwalk built there.

user posted image

user posted image

--------------------
Caw

"I am a Canadian by birth, but I am a Highlander by blood and feel under an obligation to do all I can for the sake of the Highlanders and their literature.... I have never yet spoken a word of English to any of my children. They can speak as much English as they like to others, but when they talk to me they have to talk in Gaelic."

-Alexander Maclean Sinclair of Goshen (protector of Gaelic Culture)

We need more Stan Rogers.

jams
PMEmail Poster               
oldraven 
Posted: 11-Mar-2010, 02:32 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

male

These were taken at Uisge (OOSH-ka) Ban Falls, near Baddeck in Cape Breton. We took the kids and dogs out there for a hike on Monday. It was too nice of a day to stay inside, and we wanted to do something to celebrate some recent good news. It may look cold, but it wasn't in the least. The kids' snow pants were soaked by the time we got back to the car. The whole time we were walking on 2 to 3 feet of hard packed snow, so the bridge railings were only up to Seamus's waist. The dogs were there to deter the Coyotes (a girl was attacked and killed last year on the trail those photos above were taken from. The Skyline Trail.). Anyway, since you can't really see the upper falls without climbing gear (ice climbing gear this time of year. You could see where people had been climbing the lower falls.), and the lower falls were just one big chunk of ice, there weren't any photos of the falls worth sharing. I got some shots from behind a wall of ice, which were interesting.

user posted image

user posted image

I don't know what happened here. It must have happened when I transferred the image to the flash drive, because it's like this everywhere but the original on my desktop.

user posted image

These are just to show how damn big the falls really are, and also the size of the gorge.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image
PMEmail Poster               
oldraven 
Posted: 11-Mar-2010, 02:35 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

male

These are just some family fun photos. smile.gif

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

What a goof!

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 11-Mar-2010, 04:49 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Greetings, Old Raven!

It has been a long time since we heard from you. Or is it me? Cause I haven't been too active on here myself. I love CR, but so much going on in my life all the time I forget to visit.

Your photos are wonderful! I personally don't know how you live in snow. Been there and done that and I hated it! Well, I was fine as long as I could stay inside, but I sure hate driving in that stuff.

I was also impressed with how big your kids are now! Wow! What a shock! I bet they keep you busy. Great looking dogs to keep the coyotes away. Are they both German Shepherds?

Great seeing your new photos and know that you all are doing well.

Blessings!

PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
wdorholt 
Posted: 11-Mar-2010, 10:29 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Perham, Minnesota

male

Great photos oldraven! I would guess it is hard for some to believe that it could ever seem warm when there is snow on the ground, but for those of us who are longing for running water to appear again, this looks pretty darn toasty!

What a beautiful family!

Thanks for sharing!

--------------------
Is beannaithe iad a shantaíonn an ceartas
(Blessed are those who desire justice)
PMEmail Poster               
oldraven 
Posted: 12-Mar-2010, 12:25 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

male

Thanks to you both. beer_mug.gif

It really wasn't cold at all. The temperatures were between 6-10 (42-50) degrees that day. It was almost warm enough to get that heavy fog that comes from fast melting snow. I only had my jacket liner on, and Ange was wearing a simple hoodie. Plus, it was a 3km walk. Here at the house, there is no snow left in the yard, just the ditches. Then again, what I consider hot is probably sweater weather for you, Rose. biggrin.gif

Seamus couldn't do much walking, though, due to the uneven surface. Coira had such a good time. We pretended it was a treasure hunt, and at every trail map, we would talk about 'clues'. She wasn't that impressed that her treasure ended up being a frozen waterfall, though. wink.gif A natural treasure. She was expecting candy, I'm sure, since we do these hunts at home sometimes, with a map of the property and a box of treats at the end of the 'trail'. It took her about 30 seconds to get over that, though, and start enjoying herself at the destination. She was sliding down the banks on her but with Ange. Her little photo shoot gave us some gems. Most were of her making ridiculous faces.
PMEmail Poster               
oldraven 
Posted: 12-Mar-2010, 12:29 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

male

Oh, and as for the dogs. Buffy is a pure-bred German Police, and Ozwald (Oz) is a Stafordshire mix. They were both good, but Oz shocked me with how well he behaved. He's a bit prone to chasing anything that might even think about moving. I was very proud of them.
PMEmail Poster               
stoirmeil 
Posted: 15-Mar-2010, 02:53 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: New York

Uisge Ban -- isn't that "White Water"?

These are lovely, but so cold . . . that one from behind the icicles is interesting. There's a beautiful rhythm in that first one looking upstream over the rocks and into the trees-- it looks like it should be an engraved frontispiece in an old book of poetry or fairy tales.

That boy's eyes are just astonishing. They haven't changed at all. Both those kids are going to be real heartbreakers -- you will have your hands full!
PMEmail Poster               
oldraven 
Posted: 15-Mar-2010, 04:39 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

male

Thanks for the compliments, Stoirmeil. smile.gif

Yes, that is White Water. It's too bad that I couldn't get up to take a proper photo. That one blurry photo of the upper falls only shows the top half of the 52' falls. It really is immense. This random googled photo shows just how big they are. http://www.pbase.com/smevo/image/47357347.jpg

Both those kids are going to be real heartbreakers -- you will have your hands full!

It's funny, but it sounded like you were using the future tense there. laugh.gif

I'm starting to see my Dad in him now. Those eyes are recessive in both Angela and myself, but they're very much like my brother Jimmie's. Some days they're cold blue, others they're flat grey. In that photo above they're the grey. It seems the name Seamus was very appropriate (my Dad is a James, as is my nephew, who is James III).
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]