flora 
Posted: 23-Dec-2008, 07:49 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAsh

Realm: Tangerine, Florida

female

I think it is always a good idea to think about what might happen and plan. My husband always looks at the worse case scenario and I always have the everything will turn out alright attitude. When you take a defensive driving course or self defense, they teach you to think about what the other person might do. Changing my lifestyle does not frighten me at all. But what others might do does. If people are so selfcentered about their own needs that they would run over a sales clerk to get into a store for a sale, what would they do if they or their family didn't have any food or medicine? It is sad to say but I am afraid of the morals of today's majority.

Flora

--------------------
"Nature always wears the colors of the spirit." -
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
K. Gibran

In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks.
John Muir

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves."
John Muir
PMEmail Poster               
Patch 
Posted: 23-Dec-2008, 08:58 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: America, Mid West

male

What we face today has no comparison to the crash of "29" according to the Economics Professor who wrote the definitive history of that financial event. (now retired and in her very alert 90's)

My parents and grandparents survived the crash of "29" and my grandparents survived two others, one as children.

The problem today, we are an urban civilization. In 29 most people lived on farms. They already lived financial conservative lifestyles. Most did not invest in the stock market. We had a little over a third of the population in 29 that we have today. The big factor today is honesty. A recent survey of students widely published in the Mid West and maybe Notionally indicated that nearly a third have stolen and cheated. That is JUST those who admitted it. I am not saying that only students are the problem. Adults teach them. Our crime rates are going out of sight. The crimes used to be nearly all "driving while impaired" and "domestic violence" both serious crimes. Now theft, (armed and by threat) robbery and home invasion is taking the lead. Things have not gotten really bad at this time and I hope they do not. Preparation will either mean that I eat and help my children do the same or if it does not get really bad, I will not have to go to the grocery for a long time. That is what families did in 29. The Mormons , according to a Mormon co-worker, have had a religious requirement to maintain a two or three year supply of food at all times for years. Some years ago I sold him a set of shoe makers lasts that I bought at an auction as he was going to begin making shoes for he and his wife. All that in good times.

I am not paranoid. I am NOT happy with the financial situation but I am as calm, watchfull and focused as I have ever been in my life. I am helping my children maintain that state of mind too "so far."

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
MacFive 
Posted: 24-Jan-2009, 10:24 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacOak

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #105
203,827 Gold!

Keep stocking up on can goods and food, the crisis is about to get a whole lot worse.

Britian and Europe appear to be heading into an even worse encomic crisis that the U.S. Look for a European nation to default on all of the debt causing further shockwaves.

Not so much a worry in the developed nations, but food supplies are going to dwindle and disease will be on the rise in third world countries. With the major western nations not able to donate or support these countries.

At some point people will be sick of the unemployment and start looking for a radical change in their leadership. I just hope we are not destined to repeat all of our histories.

Deflation is a real concern because our debt does not delfate.

And finally, everyone that has even a little extra money should be looking at penny stocks. Yes, now is the time to pickup a few hundred shares here and there on the sub dollar stocks. In the 70s walmart's stock was .40 a share. Even looking at the great depression some stocks rebounded by 10,000% in 10-15 years. If you have a little to invest (rather than spending it on a scratch ticket) do your homework and look what you think is a good deal. For only $40 you can pick up a .40 share stock and get 100 shares, but make sure it is a company that is projected to not go bankrupt!
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Shadows 
Posted: 24-Jan-2009, 12:29 PM
Quote Post

Reader of souls, vision seeker, TROLL
Group Icon

ZodiacHolly

Realm: The frontier of Penn's Woods

male

I have become a number in this economic down turn... I became unemployed on Dec 31.

Up until that day I had been guaranteed the safety of my job.

Guess what they lied!
I live in rural PA and jobs are almost non-existent.
We have a little money to tide us over for about a month or 2, my IRA has lost over 57%, it is now below what I invested. To take it out now would not be prudent.

I hope you all are in better shape then me!

I suggest putting away as much money as you can... no one's job is secure!

--------------------
I support the separation of church and hate!

IMAGINATION - the freest and largest nation in the world!

One can not profess to be of "GOD" and show intolerence and prejudice towards the beliefs of others.

Am fear nach gleidh na h–airm san t–sith, cha bhi iad aige ’n am a’ chogaidh.
He that keeps not his arms in time of peace will have none in time of war.

"We're all in this together , in the parking lot between faith and fear" ... O.C.M.S.

“Beasts feed; man eats; only the man of intellect knows how to eat well.”

"Without food we are nothing, without history we are lost." - SHADOWS

Is iomadh duine laghach a mhill an Creideamh.
Religion has spoiled many a good man.

The clan MacEwen
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
Patch 
Posted: 24-Jan-2009, 01:59 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

Shadows:

I am sorry to hear that and I wish you well. Where I live it is a fortunate day if there are two job listings under help wanted. Those are usually medical. Initially job loss is a shock. I recommend sitting down and discussing the situation. Think "outside the box." There is still money available for small business start up's through the federal govt. Hobbies and outside interests can become income sources. If your training and job experiences lends it's self to "consulting" there is considerable money to be made there. Look for a need in your community and find a way to fill it. History has shown that dealing in luxuries is usually more profitable that dealing in necessities. Why that is, I do not know.

I know a lady who is under employed and started a business called "Rent-A-Nag". Between that and her part time job she makes about 30% more than she did before she was laid off. For a fee, she will "remember" birth days, anniversaries, appointments, important tasks and does "wake up calls" for the subscriber. Then she notifies them at the appropriate time.

Hang in there and be creative!

Slàinte,    

Patch

P. S. They are starting to hire for the Census.     
PMEmail Poster               
flora 
Posted: 24-Jan-2009, 02:12 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

female

A long time ago my husband used to be in the fruit harvesting business. Well, the big freeze came and pretty much destroyed all the groves in this area. He was laid off. He went and bought a chain saw and made more money than previously clearing the trees! Shadow I am sorry for this setback, but just remember it is only a setback. Keep your chin up!

Flora
PMEmail Poster               
englishmix 
Posted: 06-Feb-2009, 09:47 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: My place

On the Corries site in Facebook, a friend introduced me to a Corries song that could be our anthem in such times as this:

Lyrics to A Man's A Man For A' That :

Is there for honest Poverty
That hings his head, an' a' that;
The coward slave-we pass him by,
We dare be poor for a' that!
For a' that, an' a' that.
Our toils obscure an' a' that,
The rank is but the guinea's stamp,
The Man's the gowd for a' that.

What though on hamely fare we dine,
Wear hoddin grey, an' a that;
Gie fools their silks, and knaves their wine;
A Man's a Man for a' that:
For a' that, and a' that,
Their tinsel show, an' a' that;
The honest man, tho' e'er sae poor,
Is king o' men for a' that.

Ye see yon birkie, ca'd a lord,
Wha struts, an' stares, an' a' that;
Tho' hundreds worship at his word,
He's but a coof for a' that:

For a' that, an' a' that,
His ribband, star, an' a' that:
The man o' independent mind
He looks an' laughs at a' that.

A prince can mak a belted knight,
A marquis, duke, an' a' that;
But an honest man's abon his might,
Gude faith, he maunna fa' that!
Their dignities an' a' that;
The pith o' sense, an' pride o' worth,
Are higher rank than a' that.

Then let us pray that come it may,
(As come it will for a' that,)
That Sense and Worth, o'er a' the earth,
Shall bear the gree, an' a' that.
It's coming yet for a' that,
That Man to Man, the world o'er,
Shall brothers be for a' that.
PMEmail Poster                
gallesjrrt 
Posted: 09-Feb-2009, 11:03 AM
Quote Post

Honored Clan Member

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Connecticut

female

Englishmix - thanks for posting that! Old Robbie Burns surely had a way wi' his tongue didn'a he!

OK, so much for my faux brogue. These are hard times and we do need to stick together and help one another as we can. I heard something on MSNBC today that seems to me to be right on. So many of us had pinned so many of our hopes on things changing when Barack Obama was inaugurated that he'd almost have to be super-human to live up to our expectations. The problem is that he doesn't work in a vacuum ... no matter how high his intentions, he still has to work with other flawed humans (namely Democrats AND Republicans), and that aggravation will take a long time to subside.

In the meantime, we have our fellow members here to encourage, sympathize and support us!

--------------------
user posted image Just a wee deoch an dorris user posted image
"Not all who wander are lost"

user posted image
PMEmail Poster               
flora 
Posted: 10-Feb-2009, 06:14 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

female

There is good news. In a recent magazine article it was reported that a l % rise in unemployment leads to about 14,000 fewer deaths a year. That's alot!!!! With more time and less money, people eat healthier, smoke less, and exercise more. flex.gif

Flora
PMEmail Poster               
Patch 
Posted: 11-Feb-2009, 09:30 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

That is an interesting bit of information. Maybe every cloud does have a silver lining.

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
Shadows 
Posted: 11-Feb-2009, 10:35 AM
Quote Post

Reader of souls, vision seeker, TROLL
Group Icon

ZodiacHolly

Realm: The frontier of Penn's Woods

male

Yea but the suicide and murder rates go up!

No I am not contemplating either of those options, just making an observation!
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
Patch 
Posted: 11-Feb-2009, 10:47 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

QUOTE (Shadows @ 11-Feb-2009, 12:35 PM)
Yea but the suicide and murder rates go up!

No I am not contemplating either of those options, just making an observation!

Unfortunately that too is happening. It is all about how each of us approaches the situation. We can find ways to turn it into a positive thing or we can dwell in despair.

Slàinte,   

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
flora 
Posted: 15-Feb-2009, 08:27 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

female

My husband and I spent time together in town yesterday. There was alot of people shopping. I don't know if it was a combination of a beautiful day and Valentines or whether people are starting to spend. The restaurants in our area always seem to be doing very well.
Quite a few foreclosures listed along with many houses for sale or rent (the highest I have seen). The marina was packed with people putting boats in but more than usual were fishing off the docks.
The grocery store in our area says they did not make their quota. I think we have a widening gap between the poor and rich.

Flora
PMEmail Poster               
Patch 
Posted: 16-Feb-2009, 04:18 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

http://netscape.compuserve.com/news/story..../1631567627.htm

The state of Kansas has suspended income tax refunds and may miss payroll!

The link above explains it all.

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
stoirmeil 
Posted: 16-Feb-2009, 05:31 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: New York

"The rank is but the guinea's stamp,
The Man's the gowd for a' that. "

Among the truest words ever written . . . but you have to allow a man the opportunity to spend the gold of his talent and make his contribution. There is nothing so infuriating as the sight of skilled, ready and willing hands that the system is too bolloxed up to put to their purpose and reward for their worth.

When I was a young girl, I used to wonder how people could starve when there was so much food in the world, a lot of it wasted outright, and why could it not be simply sent where the hungry people are? Still naive -- as I wonder why, when there is so much work to do and often so little time to get it done before the consequences get too large to handle, can the work not be connected with the hands and the brains, and the fair living wage be given, no more nor less in all dignity, in return?

Grow up, stoirmeil girl . . . sad.gif
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]