Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Wiccans: Evil Or Not, Why do people think witches are evil?
Shadows 
Posted: 02-Nov-2003, 06:42 PM
Quote Post

Reader of souls, vision seeker, TROLL
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: The frontier of Penn's Woods

male

Books are wonderful sources of knowledge, but the learning of the craft is better served by a mentor. Books are so impersonal and can not tell you where you went off course. Just my opinion.

--------------------
I support the separation of church and hate!

IMAGINATION - the freest and largest nation in the world!

One can not profess to be of "GOD" and show intolerence and prejudice towards the beliefs of others.

Am fear nach gleidh na h–airm san t–sith, cha bhi iad aige ’n am a’ chogaidh.
He that keeps not his arms in time of peace will have none in time of war.

"We're all in this together , in the parking lot between faith and fear" ... O.C.M.S.

“Beasts feed; man eats; only the man of intellect knows how to eat well.”

"Without food we are nothing, without history we are lost." - SHADOWS

Is iomadh duine laghach a mhill an Creideamh.
Religion has spoiled many a good man.

The clan MacEwen
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
Swanny 
Posted: 02-Nov-2003, 07:50 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

Realm: Two Rivers, Alaska

male

Shadows, will you puh-leeez get out of my brain??? . It looks like once again we're sharing the same thought process. We have GOT to get together at the same time and place some day. No telling what may happen but I'd bet it will be spectacular.

The problem with relying upon books is that it's impossible to gauge the sincerity or truthfulness of the author. This is particularly troublesome when studying beliefs or belief systems that are traditionally passed down through the generations orally, rather than written. This is the case of Native American beliefs.

I've been hesitant to post this, but I've been mulling it over for a couple of days now. I truly don't wish to disappoint or disparage those who are honestly seeking spiritual knowlege, but there are people both White and Native who spread a lot of crap disguised as "Native Wisdom". So, how does one judge what is reliable versus what should be spread in the garden to help the plants grow?

I don't have many answers to that question, but I do have links to a couple of websites worth looking over. If they make you uncomfortable or angry (and they may), then I recommend you look at them even closer. We are often made most uncomfortable by truths that we would rather ignore. The "rogues gallery" posted on these sites may at least provide the names of authors who you may wish to take with a grain or two (or a shaker or two) of salt.

I'm not saying that the authors of these sites are "right" or "wrong". That is for each individual to judge for himself or herself. I honestly haven't decided for myself yet. But, they made me think real hard about my own belief system and that gives them value in and of itself.

The sites are published by Native American authors, apparently traditionalists, who are passionate about the subject and speak their minds in a very blunt and straight-forward manner. It's a good idea to keep your sense of humor handy as you surf through them.

http://www.geocities.com/mibby529/essay.html. (ignore the pop-ups if you can. The author is a reservation indian, doesn't have much money and must rely on free domain hosting to keep his site on the web).

http://members.tripod.com/TopCat4/crystal.htm. (the opening page is a parody. once you go inside you'll find the serious stuff).

Please, don't shoot the messenger.

--------------------
user posted image "You can't run with the big dogs if you still pee like a puppy".

Stardancer Historical Freight Dogs, Two Rivers, Alaska.

"Aut pax, aut bellum" (Clan Gunn)
PMEmail Poster               
Celeste of the Stars1 
Posted: 03-Nov-2003, 01:43 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacVine

female

QUOTE (Shadows @ Nov 2 2003, 07:42 PM)
Books are wonderful sources of knowledge, but the learning of the craft is better served by a mentor. Books are so impersonal and can not tell you where you went off course. Just my opinion.

I do agree with you...well mostly. I agree that having a mentor is good, but the whole thing with my religion is that theres really no wrong way to do it.
To quote one of my books if I may:
"There's no one correct method of casting a circle; of invoking the Goddess and God; or ritually observing the seasons or performing Wiccan magic" Scott Cunningham Living Wicca: a Further Guide for the Solitary Practitioner

For me books are my mentor. My husband and I move about once a year (he's a contractor). So finding a coven let alone a mentor that follows the same line I do is very difficult. How ever I do try to find others that are involved with the craft everywhere I go and I do keep in touch with them. Most of them are also solitaries. We are each others mentors, if one has a question we all give our answer and that person uses the one that best fits them and what they're trying to do.
I am also luckier than most I had a family member in the craft way back when so I inherited her Book of Shadows and diary she kept.

I think thats enough babbling from me. Have a great day all! biggrin.gif

--------------------
Have a day!

Merry Meet, Merry Part and Merry Meet Again
Blessed Be,
*Celeste of the Stars*

"Always shoot for the moon that way if you miss you'll always land among the stars"

'An it harm non do what you will'
PMEmail Poster                
Shadows 
Posted: 03-Nov-2003, 02:35 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHolly

male

QUOTE (Swanny @ Nov 2 2003, 08:50 PM)
Shadows, will you puh-leeez get out of my brain??? . It looks like once again we're sharing the same thought process. We have GOT to get together at the same time and place some day. No telling what may happen but I'd bet it will be spectacular.

AS long as it is not in that toilet wirlpool of yours in your avatar LOL!!!!

Thanks for the links I have been there before...good info !
myriad 
Posted: 25-Nov-2003, 05:05 PM
Quote Post

Knight of the Round Table

ZodiacHazel

female

Ummmmm, Swanny, are you bringing up Native American Medicine my friend? If so, we need to chat.
PMEmail Poster               
Annabelle 
Posted: 25-Nov-2003, 10:08 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacElder

Realm: Outer Space

Wiccans: Evil or not?

I really think alot of people make harsh statements about things they don't understand and are afraid... they make judgements about things they haven't educated themselves on and that ignorance and fear make them predjudice.

Annabelle

--------------------
My heart will always be in the Highlands!

www.highlanderhouse.com
PMEmail Poster               
Angel Whitefang (Rider) 
Posted: 26-Nov-2003, 02:37 AM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacRowan

Realm: Portland, Oregon

female

hello all, I thought I would add my own to this.

Each of us have our own energy in that not everything that works for one Wiccan/Pagan/Witch/Healer will work for another. We are all part of the all, I was not taught as a child in this current life to rever Mother Gaia or Mother nature what ever you call her. I was taught that there was only God. I have found several truths in my religious searchings. Not every one is incorrect. The Question are Wiccans good or evil... It would depend on the person claiming to be good or evil.
I know many Christians that have the coldest and ruthless hearts I have ever seen, but I also know many other christians that are kind & giving with hearts that the size of the galaxy could not contain. I have seen the same in Buddhists, Wiccans, Pagans, Shammans, Catholics...etc...the list goes on. The person themself is either good or bad. not necessarily the "Religion" or their belief system. I believe that what a person puts into their beliefs they will return.
Basically, I will respect your views and I ask you to do the same for me. We will not always agree on everything, we each see the same situation differently.
I saw this in a bok, I wish I could find it again but the person said " We are not all Incorrect but, then we are not all correct."
Think on that. I still find truths in that statement.

With Love and Light,
angel.gif
PMEmail Poster                
Celeste of the Stars1 
Posted: 26-Nov-2003, 07:57 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacVine

female

I understand why most people think of us as evil. If you look at witches in books, or movies, or even Halloween decorations for that matter we are depicted as green faced creatures that want to either get back our ruby slippers or feed someone a posion apple. The only good witch I've ever heard of in a movie is Glinda, but if you noticed she didn't get nearly as much screen time as the Wicked Witch of the West!
If more people outside of Wiccan knew our creed they might think differently.
PMEmail Poster                
Aaediwen 
Posted: 26-Nov-2003, 02:49 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Kentucky

male

A couple I should look up the names of from the very movies that got me curious in the whole bit. Just a minute...

Lirio and Sarah from The Craft, and the Owens sisters in Practical Magic are some good screen witches. The made point still stands though. Most of the time witches are portrayed in movies and books as green faced, Satanic hags. Such a sad image. This is what eventually sparked my curiosity about what the truth was.

--------------------
Poet and seeker of knowledge

Therasa 
Posted: 27-Nov-2003, 06:05 AM
Quote Post

Chieftain of the Clan

ZodiacOak

female

Naked Dreamer:

I don't believe that all wiccan or witches are eveil or bad. I think it's just the label that 'you' have been given. I also believe that people fear what they do not understand. It's sad really. Alot of that has happened through the ages, some of which has been pointed out here on this message board.

Anyway, don't worry. If you are kind, you are treated with kindness. If you are fair, you are treated with fairness. If you are loving, you are loved.

Take care.

--------------------
Therasa

Sweet kisses after death, are remembered
Sweet smiles after death, are recalled
Sweet voices after death, are silent
Sweet love after death, after all.

PMEmail Poster               
RavenWing 
Posted: 28-Nov-2003, 11:15 AM
Quote Post

Dorkus Trollus Maximus

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Indiana, USA

female

QUOTE (Aaediwen @ Nov 26 2003, 08:49 PM)
A couple I should look up the names of from the very movies that got me curious in the whole bit. Just a minute...

Lirio and Sarah from The Craft, and the Owens sisters in Practical Magic are some good screen witches. The made point still stands though. Most of the time witches are portrayed in movies and books as green faced, Satanic hags. Such a sad image. This is what eventually sparked my curiosity about what the truth was.

Unfortunately, those help perpetuate some more stereotypes.

--------------------
May all your up's and down's be under the sheets!

Religion is for those who are afraid of going to Hell. Spirituality is for those who have already been there.
- Anonymous
PMEmail Poster               
Shadows 
Posted: 28-Nov-2003, 05:44 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHolly

male

Amen!!! RavenWing!!! Blessed be!!!!
Aaediwen 
Posted: 28-Nov-2003, 07:09 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Kentucky

male

Unfortunately so, But at least they are not portrayed as evil.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]