> Heather dale, "measure of a man"
Cpl. A.J. 
Posted: 21-Nov-2002, 11:03 AM
Quote Post

Servant

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

Realm: Mid Ohio Valley

One of the really great things about this site is that I've discovered some artists previously unknown to me, like Heather Dale.  Her music is fabulous, and I'm definitely going to pick up one of her CDs.

However, I have a question about "Measure of a Man," which plays frequently here at Highlander:  What is that noise in the background?  It doesn't seem necessarily out of place, but as I  listen as closely as I can, and can't make out exactly what it is.  My only two guesses are that it's a crackling fire... or a one-finger typist hitting keys verrrrry slowly.

It's probably clearer on the CD itself over real speakers, rather than the tinny little headphones I use here at work.  Anyone here have the CD -- or better headphones -- know what that sound is?

A.J.
PMEmail Poster               
scottish2 
Posted: 21-Nov-2002, 12:53 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Hi Cpl. A.J.

Have just requested that song so I can have a listen and see if I can tell for ya. Will let you know once it plays. That's providing I don't have to disconnect for some reason as there are several songs in front of mine like maybe 30 minutes at least.
PMEmail Poster               
scottish2 
Posted: 21-Nov-2002, 03:40 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Hi

Got an official answer for ya. After listenig to it I had thought typing and who knows maybe they used a type writer for the effect but from Heathers own website

Measure of a Man

After the final battle where King Arthur was slain by his son Mordred, Arthur?s Knights honoured the dead King as his body sailed to the Isle of Avalon. There he would rest until Britain's most desperate hour, when he will rise again as the Once and Future King. This song incorporates the sound of a crackling fire, to call to mind the ancient custom of burning a dead chieftain's boat as it is sent out to sea.

Here's her official website where I got the info. The song your question is about is on the Trial of Lancelot CD

http://www.heatherdale.com/ :)

And Cpl. A.J.
you're right I love her music as well. I usually don't buy CD's because of issues with the recording industry but where she's her own recording label would have no problem buying her CD's and such. one of my plans for Christmas.

Hint Hint to the wife though I know she'll never see this hint so guess I'll have to hint in person  :p

She's not much into puters.
PMEmail Poster               
Welsh Guy 
Posted: 21-Nov-2002, 04:16 PM
Quote Post

Knight of the Round Table

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Paris, France

Oh Dear Oh Dear,

Arthur was marching on Rome when he heard that his nephew Modred had run off with his wife Guenevere and seized the throne of Britain.

Modred gathered a great army and met Arthur at Winchester, winning a victory. Arthur renewed his attack, and Modred withdrew to the river Camel. There Arthur and Modred fell in battle. The wounded Arthur gave up his crown to Cador's son Constantine, and was carried off to Avalon in the year 542.

Don't know who this Heather Dale is but she sure ain't no historian!!

--------------------
Quand tout renaît à l'espérance
PMEmail Poster               
scottish2 
Posted: 21-Nov-2002, 05:32 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Welsh from that small quote she has her FACTs straight. Lets break it down shall we?

Quote from Heather Dale's website
After the final battle where King Arthur was slain by his son Mordred,

Did not Modred kill Arthur? According to the book I have on mythology he did kill Arthur.

Quote from Bulfinch's Mythology
And there King Arthur Smote Sir Modred under the shield, with a thrust of his spear through the body. And when Sir Modred felt that he had his death-wound, with the might that he had he smote King Arthur, with his sword holden in both hands, on the side of the head, that the sword pierced the helmet and the brain-pan;

Arthur?s Knights honoured the dead King as his body sailed to the Isle of Avalon.

Did Arthur's Knight not do this? According to legend they most certainly did do this.

There he would rest until Britain's most desperate hour, when he will rise again as the Once and Future King.

I assume this is correct. Don't see it mentioned but sounds right from what I have heard of the story. And the last part is fine being I have read he sailed off and have also seen a burned version of this story.

So where did she go wrong? This is but a short clip to express the meaning of the song. Is not meant to be a full book.
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRadio 
Posted: 21-Nov-2002, 10:05 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
ZodiacOak

Realm: Toronto, CAN

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #74
246,593 Gold!

I think it is important to note that on Heather Dale's website she does not claim to be a historian. It does state "I would like to share with you my views of the King Arthur Legends."

I can tell you that from our dealings with Heather that she is an extremely nice person and from our interview it is apparent that she has a deep love for music and for the King Arthur "Legends"....

And on top of that she has some great music to share. If you don't know about her, then read the interview on the front of our website or visit the featured artist section!  (d)

--------------------
Celtic Radio DJ
http://www.CelticRadio.net
Celtic Radio Music Network
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.View my Linked-In Profile.View my Google plus Profile.View my Twitter Profile.View My Space Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
Welsh Guy 
Posted: 22-Nov-2002, 03:07 AM
Quote Post

Knight of the Round Table

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Paris, France

The point I was making was Modred was Arthur's nephew not his son, otherwise he would have been having an affair with his own mother!!
PMEmail Poster               
scottish2 
Posted: 22-Nov-2002, 07:20 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

If it was a point you were making then there was absolutely no need for your closing comment.

Quote (Welsh Guy @ Nov. 21 2002,5:16)
Don't know who this Heather Dale is but she sure ain't no historian!!

That's basically the same thing as calling her a liar. How do you know it's not just something as simple as a mistyped word?  :(  ::confused

And besides being I am not 100% familar with the Arthur legend short of what you usually get I did a little research and came across this page

http://www.earlybritishkingdoms.com/bios/mordred.html

It starts out this way

Tradition makes him the youngest son of Queen Morgause of Orkney. He was raised as a son of her husband,King Lot, but - due to an unfortunate and uninformed encounter - his real father was his own uncle, King Arthur. When the monarch discovered the truth, he tried to have the baby Mordred disposed off. Along with all the children born his birthday, he was set adrift in a large boat. The boat sank but Mordred survived and was washed up an island shore, from where he was taken in by Lord Nabur the Unruly. When he grew up, Mordred travelled to the Court of King Arthur and was reunited with his real parents.

http://www.hallofnames.com/history_arthur.html

Arthur took the Lady Guinevere as his queen,and, by at least one account, received his famous round table as a dowry from her father. It is told that the king and queen begat numerous legitimate sons and daughters, and that Arthur had more children by mistresses such as Morgan Le Fay, Morgause (his half-sister by whom he fathered Sir Mordred, and others.

So you could very well be wrong. He may really have been Arthurs son, but Guenevere's step son of no actual blood relation.
PMEmail Poster               
Cpl. A.J. 
Posted: 22-Nov-2002, 07:32 AM
Quote Post

Servant

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Mid Ohio Valley

Well, I guess that might explain the typewriter sound in the background of the song...  

A.J.
PMEmail Poster               
scottish2 
Posted: 22-Nov-2002, 08:10 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Glad I could help answer your question A.J. :)
PMEmail Poster               
free2Bme 
Posted: 22-Nov-2002, 08:21 AM
Quote Post

Queen of Janetania

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Gulf Coast of Florida

female

Well, as long as Heather Dale doesn't go so far as to wear her garb with a zipper down the back of it, I suppose she is okay with me! I am having a great deal of fun reading this discussion regarding the "true" facts of King Arthur.

Here all this time I thought King Arthur was a fictional character! I remember watching Errol Flynn movies, in which he starred as the swashbuckling Robin Hood. I always thought King Arthur was just another character like Robin Hood. There have been so many movies made about King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table, that I thought it was all just something made up. There have been many books and poems written about King Arthur, too.

So, if I am to understand this thread correctly, I must believe that there actually was a person named King Arthur !?! Must I also believe that all of the stories and legends written about him are true !?! Then I must sort out my King Arthur tales - was there really a Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court !?! Disney did a movie about the scawny little boy nicknamed "Wart" who was a Squire to Sir Kay, so how much of that is true - did Merlin really teach him how to turn into a fish, a squirrel, and a bird !?! How about the wizards's showdown in which Merlin matches wits with Mad Madame Mim !?!

I AM SO CONFUSED!!! Please help me to sort this out!!! :%  ::wacko

--------------------
RPG Anne O'Calahan
PMEmail Poster               
scottish2 
Posted: 22-Nov-2002, 08:34 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Well that's the problem with history. The farther you go back the less clear it is if it's truth or legend or totally fictisious. ::confused

From my own viewpoint I think there is something behind the Arthur stories and legends. How accurate after so many centuries is another thing but I do believe there is a basis for these stories and legends.
PMEmail Poster               
free2Bme 
Posted: 22-Nov-2002, 08:41 AM
Quote Post

Queen of Janetania

ZodiacIvy

female

Okay, so you are saying that Hollywierd and various literary agents have taken a basic legend about a real person, King Arthur, and embroidered and embellished upon the facts to appeal to a more general audience in exchange for box office and bookstore revenues? Sounds a bit like what they did to William Wallace in Braveheart, eh?

I think I am beginning to understand this now, but it is still about as clear as mud to me ........

::boldyellow
PMEmail Poster               
scottish2 
Posted: 22-Nov-2002, 08:53 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Yeah a storiesd fine until hollyweird gets it and then who knows.  :rolleyes
PMEmail Poster               
free2Bme 
Posted: 22-Nov-2002, 09:01 AM
Quote Post

Queen of Janetania

ZodiacIvy

female

I enjoy watching the movie EXCALIBER any chance I can - it is usually on the late, late, late movie, but then I work the graveyard shift so the time doesn't bother me. The only part of that movie that I didn't really care for was the fact that one Knight refuses to remove his armour for - well - anyone or anything!

I like that movie, and then the other one with Sean Connery and Richard Gere in it...

Those are my two fav King Arthur movies.
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]