Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Member Welcome, Introduce yourself to the community.
Roisin-Teagan 
Posted: 06-Oct-2003, 04:29 PM
Quote Post

a ragamuffin of Eireann
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacElder

Realm: South Louisiana

female

Hello Richard,

My interest was peaked when you said you were from the Shawnee Nation but have German and French heritage. My family is from the Cherokee Nation. Not the group in OK but in Georgia. I guess my great-great grandmother escaped the mass exile on the Trail of Tears. My father is full blooded Irish, my mother is Cherokee, Irish and Italian heritage. I, like you, embrace all of who I am but lean toward my Irish roots, as you seem to lean toward your Shawnee heritage. I've encountered resistance in trying to reconnect with my Cherokee heritage. Different native tribes people I have tried to connect with do not care that I have Cherokee ancestory. It seems they only see me as white and as an outsider.

Only one man I met from the Choctaw tribe in Louisiana welcomed me. His name is Larry Martin Richard who authored a book entitled: "Of Eagle Feathers and Tartans, Celtic Influence On The Southwestern Tribes." The book showed how the tribal communities assimilated or intermarried with the Irish and Scottish clans who came to America. He showed how the different nations were very similar to the clans of the Celts. He also pointed out that they both had simular cultures and beliefs in their heritage. He explains what sparked his research to write the book, "While attending different functions across the country, I would be in the company of native and non native people, some sharing the common last names, McKee, McIntosh etc." He researched the period between 1600-1890. He showed how indentured Scot-Irish or immigrant Scot-Irish came to America in hopes of a new life and assimilated into the different tribes. Larry M. Richard goes back and researches each name and tells each of their stories in how they influenced and affected American History.

I have a few quesions: How are you received by your fellow Shawnee tribesmen? Have any natives treated you different or not accepted you because of your other heritages? Thanks smile.gif

--------------------
Roisin-Teagan

"There, in that hand, on that shoulder under that chin---all of its lightness delicately balanced and its strings skillfully bowed---it becomes a voice."---Rich Mullins

"At 18, if you have oversized aspirations, the whole world sees you as a dreamer. At 40, you get the reputation for being a visionary." ---Rich Mullins

"God gives the gifts where He finds the vessel empty enough to receive them."---C.S. Lewis

Éire go Brách!
PMEmail Poster               
MDF3530 
  Posted: 08-Oct-2003, 08:09 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacWillow

Realm: Midlothian, IL

male

I just want to say hello to all the new members I've missed thumbup.gif !!!

--------------------
Mike F.

May the Irish hills caress you.
May her lakes and rivers bless you.
May the luck of the Irish enfold you.
May the blessings of Saint Patrick behold you.

user posted image
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
shigidigi 
Posted: 08-Oct-2003, 09:18 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacBirch

female

hi i'm new here and just wanted to say i love this station!!
PMEmail Poster               
MDF3530 
  Posted: 09-Oct-2003, 03:43 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Midlothian, IL

male

Welcome, Shigidigi!!! You're more than welcome to post as often as you like! I take it by your avatar that you're a big Mad Magazine fan.

This post has been edited by MDF3530 on 09-Oct-2003, 03:44 PM
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Eclectic_Stag 
Posted: 13-Oct-2003, 01:56 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacAlder

Realm: York

male

The real name is Dave, I was born in York (UK) and I'm still here (although slowly and surely working my way to moving to the Netherlands). I've strong connections with Ireland through both sides of the family (the Kennealy's on one side and the MacNamara's on the other) through my Nan and GreatGran (so does that make me 37.5% Irish? laugh.gif ). I adore Celtic music above all over music genre's and can often be heard whistling "The Wild Rover" at work (I'm a Gent's Hairdresser)... Now to go and read the rest of the board biggrin.gif
PMEmail Poster               
maidsmum 
Posted: 13-Oct-2003, 02:54 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacWillow

female

Hi, my name is Shona, live in Belfast - though I am originally from Scotland, but my mothers family are originally from Limerick (confusing enough?)
I came across this site when I was looking for links to help me with my Irish lessons - partner is fluent and my two oldest (5 & 3) are at Irish school, so I have no choice but to learn or they will all be talking with me no understanding!! Seems like a great site - but how do you get into "protected forums" ???? cheers.gif
PMEmail Poster               
McHaggis 
Posted: 13-Oct-2003, 04:32 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Pismo Beach on theCentral California Coast

male

Ron Housley here. Here being the Central Coast of California, just near Pismo Beach. Landed here doing a search of Scottish music for a project and couldn't resist hooking up with some Highlander Radio.

So.....I surf. I write brass arrangements for drum and bugle corps occasionally. I'm 50+ percent Scottish, my father was born in Glasgow and moved to New York City in the early part of the 20th century. Last name of Walker.....he and my mom divorced back when I was just 1 year old or so, and she remarried, which is why I use my step-dad's last name (Housley). Father: Charles Walker, is a retired USN commander living on Oahu. We are in contact as of just recently and I find out that I have a flock of half-brothers and sisters: including Sandy Walker, bass player for The California Girls (http://www.thecaliforniagirls.biznet.com), a surf band in Southern California.

I cracked my back in the Army in 1968 and got to retire early with 100% disability pay, which means they have paid me every month since then and have to do so for life....which sure helps to pay for my gas to go surf every morning!

I am a former playing member of the 1967 Anaheim Kingsmen Drum & Bugle Corps and the brass instructor/arranger for the 1971 Lynwood Diplomats Drum & Bugle Corps (as well as some others back there in the 70s before I went "underground" from the activity.

Born in California, I have lived in Colorado (Vail 1972) and in Minnesota and Wisconsin, I used to own a farm in the latter and went to college in the former. I came back home to California in 1985 and have surfed almost every morning since then. For awhile I lived full time in a cabin in California's Sierra Nevada mountains about half way between Tahoe and Yosemite but recently moved back to the beach.

So as far as my Scots/Irish roots: I had a great-great (?) grandmother who lived in New York but returned to Ireland as a child after her family was wiped out in a fire: the late 1700s I think this was. Don't know where in Ireland as of yet, but my grandfater moved to Glasgow in the late 1800s and then I came on the scene in 1947 after my father and mother met.

That's the short form at any rate.

RON "McHaggis" HOUSLEY

--------------------
"NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT"

"...A bonnie lass I will confess,
Is pleasant to the e'e,
But without some better qualities
She's no lass for me...."

(From "O Once I Lov'd" - Robert Burns)

"There are few more impressive sights in the world than a Scotsman on the make." --J.M. BARRIE (1860-1937)
PMEmail Poster               
valpal59 
Posted: 13-Oct-2003, 09:01 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Texas Panhandle

female

WELCOME!!! Not only have you found excellent music, but also a great group of people. biggrin.gif

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.

You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

Author Unknown
PMEmail Poster               View my Facebook Profile.View My Space Profile.
bhalilama 
Posted: 14-Oct-2003, 11:06 AM
Quote Post

Servant

ZodiacReed

female

smile.gif Hello,Highlanders! I love this site! I have spent as much time as I could the last few days learning my way around. I hope to join in on some of your lively discussions . i'm a hearing disabled former respitory therapist with my first personal computer. We charted on one at all the hospitals I worked at ,but nothing there helps me with moving around on my on. sad.gif I still have a portion of hearing left in my right ear and I have committed to hear as much as possible as long as I can! walkman.gif I found this site searching for Celtic Rock. I love the variety here.
I'm a 40 year old mother of two teenagers. One (the boy) on the football team and one (the girl) in the band(but would rather be playing rugby). We live in the "deep south" of the United States. My husband is a fisherman but he doesn't throw many back. He loves to fry anything and everything(a true southerner). He will occasionally buy live bait and just throw them in the creeks "for seed".but he just can't seem to let go of any he catches. unsure.gif I love the great outdoors and consider the place of my birth as a wonderful gift in my life. I have always dreamed of seeing Ireland and Scotland. I am just getting started looking into my roots. Some kinfolks before me have left list and trees that I have found out are not accurate. Instead of making it easier,it has made it tougher for me. I have finally just tossed most of it out the window and started at square one. Wish me luck. tongue.gif (all help deeply appreciated)
(Family names-Williams,Anderson,Pittman,Cooper and I married a Bond)
Enough for now. "May the wind be at your back...."
Bhalilama

--------------------

Today is the first day of the rest of your life.
Drink thee fast, the ale grows old!
PMEmail Poster               
Annabelle 
Posted: 14-Oct-2003, 12:38 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacElder

Realm: Outer Space

Bhalilama Welcome!!! As we say in the Middle Ga Area, Ye Ha! Well if you are in the deep south you can't be far from my area that has one of the best library's at your disposal...Macon, Ga
Atlanta also has a terrific library down on Peachtree Cir that has lots of records...but I hate Atlanta traffic...worst than D.C.
Let us hear more from you...
Annabelle

--------------------
My heart will always be in the Highlands!

www.highlanderhouse.com
PMEmail Poster               
Herrerano 
Posted: 14-Oct-2003, 08:38 PM
Quote Post

Lord of the Isthmus, Keeper of the Holy Barbecue
Group Icon

Group: Galicia
ZodiacIvy

Realm: Republica de Panamá

male

Hola,

Been awhile since I have been here on the welcoming comittee. Sorry everyone, been really really busy work wise, but I guess that ain't much of an excuse. Gosh! If I wasn't here, who would do those wierd, out of place bilingual posts around here?

Bienvenidos. Disfrute el grupo, sentirse, y toma una pinta. Mike es comprando ahora. beer_mug.gif

cheers.gif cheers.gif cheers.gif cheers.gif cheers.gif cheers.gif cheers.gif cheers.gif

Leo cool.gif

--------------------

Consistency. It's only a virtue if you're not a screwup.

Ita erat quando hic adveni.

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunatley it kills all its pupils. - Hector Berlioz

"No matter where you go, there you are." - R. Young

¡Visté! ¡Te lo dijé!
PMEmail Poster               
ceit 
Posted: 16-Oct-2003, 02:15 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacOak

female

Hey, I'm Ceit, a very homesick Scot, living in the wilds of Northern England while I do the next part of my education.

Normally I live on Skye, and I miss it very much, so a friend on another forum, known here as Madweasel *grin!* told me about this site, and I am very glad she did!

I like Runrig, Capercaillie, Donnie Munro's solo stuff, Big Country, and lots and lots of other things, most of which I know but don't know the names of due to the constantly revolving CD player in the petrol station where I used to work.

Well, I hope to get to know you, feel free to PM me if you like, I'm always up for a chat. biggrin.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Roisin-Teagan 
Posted: 16-Oct-2003, 11:54 PM
Quote Post

a ragamuffin of Eireann
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacElder

Realm: South Louisiana

female

smile.gif Welcome All New Members, Welcome. smile.gif
PMEmail Poster               
ValaneyValaun 
Posted: 17-Oct-2003, 08:16 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacOak

female

Eve'n (or whatever time it may be where you read) all!

I suppose I ought to introduce myself. The name's Valaney, and I'm a Canuck.
[Cue support group-esque "Hi, Val!"]
Now, it's real nice being Canadian and all, don't get me wrong, but the major beef I have with having been born in Canada is the fact that we don't really have much... you know... history, culture or, um, anything.

But, I have no fear, for I am supposed to be a Scot!

Sadly, my families' tracking of historical bric-a-brac is shoddy at best, and in my attempt to trace my ancestry in some way shape or form, I stumbled upon Highland. And thus, here I am. [curtsey]

Though I haven't really met any of you yet, I'm sure you're all lovely people, and that if I were meeting you face-to-face I'd be thinking that you have excellent breath and nice, straight teeth.
PMEmail Poster               
McHaggis 
Posted: 17-Oct-2003, 08:41 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Pismo Beach on theCentral California Coast

male

Canada's got PLENTY of history!!! Of course it's all Selkirk and Hudson's Bay Company and of course the 42nd Royal Highlanders, but ya got plenty history, eh? Ya even got The Bandettes, a drum and bugle corps populated a bunch of way cute Canadian girls who wear plaid...not exactly kilts, but you kinda get the idea.

I just didn't want you to think that you were up there just to keep the North Pole from falling down and hurting someone in North Dakota or Minnesota. rolleyes.gif

I'm new here myself, uh, eh? (Sorry, I used to live in Minnesota and Wisconsin, and dey talk like dat dere too, eh?)

RON
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]