Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Bodicea?, Did anyone watch BBC broadcast?
Annabelle 
Posted: 13-Oct-2003, 10:42 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacElder

Realm: Outer Space

Did anyone other than I watch the BBC broadcast of Boudicea?
What did you think?
Annabelle

--------------------
My heart will always be in the Highlands!

www.highlanderhouse.com
PMEmail Poster               
McHaggis 
Posted: 14-Oct-2003, 09:35 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Pismo Beach on theCentral California Coast

male

Missed it.......guess I'll have to wait for the book? (Chortle.) Hope it was better than "Barbarian Queen," that one sucked.....and not in a happy way.

RON

--------------------
"NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT"

"...A bonnie lass I will confess,
Is pleasant to the e'e,
But without some better qualities
She's no lass for me...."

(From "O Once I Lov'd" - Robert Burns)

"There are few more impressive sights in the world than a Scotsman on the make." --J.M. BARRIE (1860-1937)
PMEmail Poster               
maggiemahone1 
Posted: 14-Oct-2003, 04:47 PM
Quote Post

High Queen of Ireland

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacIvy

Realm: Southern West Virginia

female

I watched Boudicea. I'm an ER fan and I like watching Alex Kingston in anything she plays in. I thought it was good entertainment! biggrin.gif

maggiemahone1
PMEmail Poster                View My Space Profile.
Annabelle 
Posted: 14-Oct-2003, 07:03 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacElder

I like Alex Kingston too..she has passion for whatever she gets involved in...
Annabelle
PMEmail Poster               
Lamorak_de_Galis 
Posted: 15-Oct-2003, 08:20 AM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacIvy

male

Hi!

I watched all of Masterpiece's "Boudica" the other night with mixed feelings. I do applaud the efforts of those who try to make shows based in ancient/medieval history. I hope producers will attempt more of them in the future. I think the actress who portrayed Boudica did very well. I thought some things, like the druid and the Celtic warrior champion, were a bit forced and even out of place at times.

My other feelings on it has to do with quibbling over a good number of historical inaccuracies. For example the show "compressed" a 15 year span into a single year, giving the wrong impression that Boudica revolted shortly after Claudius died. Actually Nero had been emperor for about 6 years when the uprising occured. The most glaring inaccuracy I winced at throughout concerned the Roman military. In the show the Romans pitched their tents without any defenses, they never carried any pilum (their throwing javelins), and they fought like passive drones. That just wasn't anywhere close to the real methods that the Romans used to fight.

The final battle wasn't anywhere close to what actually happened. In the actual battle, the Celts walked uphill to meet the Romans. The Romans walked downhill to meet them, then threw their pilum shortly before they charged into the Celts. The Celts panicked and turned to run, but they were slowed down by their families who had come to watch the fight. The Romans slaughtered the packed crowd and killed about 80,000 people while losing less than 500. That may sound cruel, but the Romans were seeking revenge because Boudica's "take no prisoner" forces had already killed and mutilated about 80,000 Roman citizens and Roman sympathizers. That included women, too. Boudica escaped the battle but committed suicide shortly afterwards. I can see why the show changed that part a bit, its more noble these days to see someone going down swinging.

Lamorak De Galis
PMEmail Poster               
Catriona 
Posted: 15-Oct-2003, 08:58 AM
Quote Post

Banned Member

ZodiacBirch

Lamorak
There is a thread on Boudicca in the Celtic Nations area of the site - in the Celts thread - I think it was started a while ago by Barddas.

The programme was shown on UK TV a number of weeks ago- and got fairly bad reviews cool.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Welsh Guy 
Posted: 15-Oct-2003, 12:31 PM
Quote Post

Knight of the Round Table

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Paris, France

As an ex BBC producer, I wish to express in the strongest possible terms that the BBC had NOTHING WHATSOEVER to do with this. It was an ITV production and has been condemned by historians and critics alike.

Even the writer Andrew Davies, said at the Montreux television festival in Switzerland that he was trying to create another "Braveheart", which in itself was a complete abomination.

--------------------
Quand tout renaît à l'espérance
PMEmail Poster               
barddas 
Posted: 15-Oct-2003, 12:37 PM
Quote Post

Offical sacrifice to the guitar gods-Play til you bleed

ZodiacWillow

Realm: second star to the right, straight until morning

male

I had originally wanted to see this...BUT, after a very poor review of the first few minutes, I didn't want to waste seveeral hours of my life. Which I would never be able to bet back...LOL!!! tongue.gif

From the sound of it, I am very glad to have missed it.... wink.gif

--------------------
BARDDAS BLOG/WEB SITE

Co Founder/Member of the KDC

Music is holy, art is sacred, and creativity is power

Everyday is EARTH DAY to a farmer

"Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much."
Oscar Wilde

Some men are drawn to oceans, they cannot breathe unless the air is scented with a salty mist. Others are drawn to land that is flat, and the air is sullen and is leaden as August. My people were drawn to mountains- Earl Hamner Jr.

PMEmail Poster                
McHaggis 
Posted: 15-Oct-2003, 03:49 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacHolly

male

From the sound of things, I didn't miss much here! Maybe "Barbarian Queen" would have been a better choice? At least it featured the twin talents of the late Lana Clarkson, famous for her death by gunshot at Phil Spector's house.....and for no extra charge you got Frank Zagrino, too! Boy, you just can't beat a lineup like that! (Why do I feel like Joe Bob Briggs here?)

Sounds pretty much like "Boudica" put the "B.S." in PBS. Back to The History Channel for this boy.

And no annoying pledge breaks, either!

RON
PMEmail Poster               
Catriona 
Posted: 15-Oct-2003, 03:51 PM
Quote Post

Banned Member

ZodiacBirch

QUOTE (Welsh Guy @ Oct 15 2003, 07:31 PM)
As an ex BBC producer, I wish to express in the strongest possible terms that the BBC had NOTHING WHATSOEVER to do with this. It was an ITV production and has been condemned by historians and critics alike.

Even the writer Andrew Davies, said at the Montreux television festival in Switzerland that he was trying to create another "Braveheart", which in itself was a complete abomination.

Awwww, c'MOAN, Wynn - tell us what you really think about this tosh!! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
PMEmail Poster               
MDF3530 
  Posted: 15-Oct-2003, 04:40 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Midlothian, IL

male

QUOTE (McHaggis @ Oct 15 2003, 04:49 PM)
From the sound of things, I didn't miss much here! Maybe "Barbarian Queen" would have been a better choice? At least it featured the twin talents of the late Lana Clarkson, famous for her death by gunshot at Phil Spector's house.....and for no extra charge you got Frank Zagrino, too! Boy, you just can't beat a lineup like that! (Why do I feel like Joe Bob Briggs here?)

Whatever happened to Joe Bob Briggs? He was great as the host of "Monstervision" on TNT!

--------------------
Mike F.

May the Irish hills caress you.
May her lakes and rivers bless you.
May the luck of the Irish enfold you.
May the blessings of Saint Patrick behold you.

user posted image
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
McHaggis 
Posted: 16-Oct-2003, 08:30 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacHolly

male

Dunno where old Joe Bob is...Probably still hanging out with Wanda Bodine an' them down at the drive in. I just sorta channeled him there for a bit....if you know what I mean and I think you do.

I really gotta start sendin' him checks if I'm gonna steal his stuff, though.

RON
PMEmail Poster               
seadreamer 
Posted: 19-Oct-2003, 11:25 AM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacBirch

male

I loved it when Nero said, "the people can't hack it". I could well imagine Nero saying that. tongue.gif tongue.gif

--------------------
I will give you an example which I have often puzzled over. The spider dances her web without knowing there are flies who will get caught in it. The fly, dancing nonchalantly on a sunbeam, gets caught without knowing what lies in store. But through both of them "It" dances and inside and outside are united in this dance. So too, the Archer hits the target without having aimed - more I cannot say.

Zen in the Art of Archery
PMEmail Poster               
Annabelle 
Posted: 20-Oct-2003, 10:47 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacElder

You know everytime they make a film something gets put in or taken out for artistic sake and the film loses something...
Bodicea was weak.
Braveheart as much as I love the movie and Mel Gibson was not historicially correct either...would take too much time so I guess the producers give us the best they can in the time alloted.
Annabelle
PMEmail Poster               
oldraven 
Posted: 20-Oct-2003, 05:05 PM
Quote Post

The Protector of the Unknown
Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Guysborough Co., Nova Scotia

male

I caught just a glimpse of it. A few scenes involving the Romans, but not much more. Angela isn't much into films like that, so I didn't force it. It would be like her forcing me to sit through three hours of cooking progaming. bored.gif It was on CBC, I believe. I'm sure it'll be played on the History channel, or something of the sort, soon.

--------------------
Caw

"I am a Canadian by birth, but I am a Highlander by blood and feel under an obligation to do all I can for the sake of the Highlanders and their literature.... I have never yet spoken a word of English to any of my children. They can speak as much English as they like to others, but when they talk to me they have to talk in Gaelic."

-Alexander Maclean Sinclair of Goshen (protector of Gaelic Culture)

We need more Stan Rogers.

jams
PMEmail Poster               
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]