Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Enter at own risk!

The Philosophy, Science & Religion forum has been created as an unmoderated forum. The issues discussed here can and will get very intense. Please show respect and appreciation to alternative views posted here. We appreciate your consideration.

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Mayberry?
Keltic 
Posted: 04-Nov-2003, 04:47 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacWillow

Realm: Ottawa, Ontario  Canada

male

QUOTE (oldraven @ Nov 4 2003, 06:38 PM)
I've got a back yard. biggrin.gif

I can even make a bonfire to fight the -22* (-7.6*F) temperatures we're getting tonight.

I guess that I shouldn't complain that we are going down to 0 tonight (32F)

--------------------
PMEmail Poster               
Swanny 
Posted: 04-Nov-2003, 05:06 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Two Rivers, Alaska

male

I've got a BIG back yard. Big front yard too. And a 48 inch diameter steel fire-ring we can cook over or dance around. Nearest neighbor is 1/4 mile away and I don't care if she feels disturbed or not. The next closest is 1/2 and I'll invite them to the party. If we do it summer then it never gets dark. If we do it this time of year we can enjoy brilliant displays of the northern lights (sky cover allowing). If we do it in mid-winter all can become members of the "forty-below club". (that's -40 on either scale, the convergence point).

I also have a huge covered porch that makes pretty good sleeping accommodations for guests, and if we need more I have a tipi, a large wall tent (with a nice cozy wood stove) and some other canvas we can put up.

Heck, if you're gonna travel to a party you might as well travel to Alaska. It's probably closer for our UK guests via the polar route.

Dogs are welcome. Cats?? That's up to the dogs I s'pose.

Swanny

--------------------
user posted image "You can't run with the big dogs if you still pee like a puppy".

Stardancer Historical Freight Dogs, Two Rivers, Alaska.

"Aut pax, aut bellum" (Clan Gunn)
PMEmail Poster               
Shadows 
Posted: 04-Nov-2003, 06:39 PM
Quote Post

Reader of souls, vision seeker, TROLL
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: The frontier of Penn's Woods

male

QUOTE (sheronjessie @ Nov 3 2003, 10:24 PM)
hi, this is tennesseegirl
I was just reading some of the comments on the subject of Mayberry. I know all of you are looking at this from a blue collar workers point of view, but did you ever wonder why people are out there commiting these crimes in the first place.
I never have commited any of these crimes but the way the world is now it's no wonder that people are so despert to rob, and steal. We are not paid enough wages to take care of our families, we cann't afford healthcare for them either. The people who are out there stealing food, clothing, and other things are trying to cope with the fact that they are having to live on the streets, or live in there cars if they are fortunate to own one. ...

One of my most recent stops was a woman pushinging her child in a $100 stroller, she was wearing designer clothing, and many diamonds!!! Her lawyer showed up befor the police!!! Her car was a Mercades, it was towed away, and her 2 kids were taken from her on the spot by the cops... don't sound blue collar to me!

It turned out her husband owned a large local business.

--------------------
I support the separation of church and hate!

IMAGINATION - the freest and largest nation in the world!

One can not profess to be of "GOD" and show intolerence and prejudice towards the beliefs of others.

Am fear nach gleidh na h–airm san t–sith, cha bhi iad aige ’n am a’ chogaidh.
He that keeps not his arms in time of peace will have none in time of war.

"We're all in this together , in the parking lot between faith and fear" ... O.C.M.S.

“Beasts feed; man eats; only the man of intellect knows how to eat well.”

"Without food we are nothing, without history we are lost." - SHADOWS

Is iomadh duine laghach a mhill an Creideamh.
Religion has spoiled many a good man.

The clan MacEwen
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
myriad 
Posted: 04-Nov-2003, 07:49 PM
Quote Post

Knight of the Round Table

ZodiacHazel

female

First of all I would like to say I am all for Alaska Swanny, especially if you have a tipi. Love those things.
Anyway, I am a social worker, we discuss these kinds of things all the time. Unfortunately, discussing gets us nowhere when we don't go out and do something. We will never have Mayberry, because Mayberry never existed. For example, here are a list of social issues... I want someone to try to guess the year and city that these occurred in. I will give the answer in a couple of days but I hope to get some responses first.

High Divorce Rates Kids with guns
Gangs Horrible Economy
Drug & Alcohol problems Assassinations
Bombing Political Terrorists

However we can have better. We can chose to do things for our neighborhoods to help. All one person can do is a little but I read a quote on a professors coffee cup that made me laugh and made me think "If we all work together we can totally disrupt the system." In the United States many people have become pacifists... "there's nothing I can do about it so why try." What do you want to do about it Elspeth... surely you have an idea. Find what you believe is one problem in your neighborhood that you feel passionate about and can personally become involved in solving, and do so. If you have children, teach them to become involved. If the world over we would stop being more concerned with ourselves alone and started looking out for each other and working together we might make a difference. We will not have Mayberry, but we will have some control and will start feeling less like victims.
PMEmail Poster               
oldraven 
Posted: 04-Nov-2003, 09:36 PM
Quote Post

The Protector of the Unknown
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Guysborough Co., Nova Scotia

male

QUOTE (Keltic @ Nov 4 2003, 03:47 PM)
QUOTE (oldraven @ Nov 4 2003, 06:38 PM)
I've got a back yard. biggrin.gif

I can even make a bonfire to fight the -22* (-7.6*F) temperatures we're getting tonight.

I guess that I shouldn't complain that we are going down to 0 tonight (32F)

No. No you shouldn't.

wink.gif

--------------------
Caw

"I am a Canadian by birth, but I am a Highlander by blood and feel under an obligation to do all I can for the sake of the Highlanders and their literature.... I have never yet spoken a word of English to any of my children. They can speak as much English as they like to others, but when they talk to me they have to talk in Gaelic."

-Alexander Maclean Sinclair of Goshen (protector of Gaelic Culture)

We need more Stan Rogers.

jams
PMEmail Poster               
Annabelle 
Posted: 05-Nov-2003, 12:19 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacElder

Realm: Outer Space

Elspeth there is a little subdivision developed by the Disney Corp called Celebration. It is right off of Hwy 192...It looks picture perfect..the houses look similar but each a little different in Victorian styling...you pay a fee each year and everyone gets their yard cut on the ssame day so everyone's yard looks the same...the grass is the same level in the whole neighborhood..
although it looks perfect, town square, community playground everything, there is no way the rest of the world is going to go away...
those that live there live with the same dangers that are in our world today...it's nice to wish for but unrealistic...
If you find it, call me and I'll move too!
Annabelle

--------------------
My heart will always be in the Highlands!

www.highlanderhouse.com
PMEmail Poster               
Annabelle 
Posted: 05-Nov-2003, 12:20 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacElder

Realm: Outer Space

Oh and I forgot to tell you it has it's own downtown and a cute little White Church for all of us God loving folks to go worship...pickett fence and all.
Annabelle
PMEmail Poster               
Celeste of the Stars1 
Posted: 05-Nov-2003, 02:15 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacVine

female

I know this sounds cheesy, but I happen to agree.
lightly quoting the Matrix
"The human brain can not handle a 'perfect' world"

everybody views a "perfect world" differently. Some see it as lollipops and roses others see it was rape and destruction. Its all in the eye of the beholder. Some people think the world we live in now is perfect. Who know maybe we're the one that are "wrong".

--------------------
Have a day!

Merry Meet, Merry Part and Merry Meet Again
Blessed Be,
*Celeste of the Stars*

"Always shoot for the moon that way if you miss you'll always land among the stars"

'An it harm non do what you will'
PMEmail Poster                
maryellen 
Posted: 05-Nov-2003, 08:38 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: England
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Saint Louis, Missouri, USA

female

Disney is a great illustration. They try to create some perfect world - but there is bad underneath... if you do not like the Disney Corp. like some people.

Few people see a perfect world with rape and destruction. They are the minority and the evil. It is in the eye of the beholder, but most of us could come up with a few common criteria I think. Questioning the way we think is wrong and others are bad is what we are being brainwashed in today's culture: anti-intellectualism. The experts are wrong, nerds are dorks, nothing can be objective, it is all about how you "feel." Decision making isn't based on feeling, it is based on common rules of morals and values that most common sense folk have agreed upon.

--------------------
Seize the time,. . .live now, make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again- Star Trek TNG

"The report of my death was an exaggeration."
-Mark Twain, After reading his own obituary, June 2, 1897

If you ever have a world, plan ahead, don't eat it! - Star Trek TNG
PMEmail Poster               
Celeste of the Stars1 
Posted: 05-Nov-2003, 10:42 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacVine

female

QUOTE (maryellen @ Nov 5 2003, 09:38 PM)
Disney is a great illustration. They try to create some perfect world - but there is bad underneath... if you do not like the Disney Corp. like some people.

Few people see a perfect world with rape and destruction. They are the minority and the evil. It is in the eye of the beholder, but most of us could come up with a few common criteria I think. Questioning the way we think is wrong and others are bad is what we are being brainwashed in today's culture: anti-intellectualism. The experts are wrong, nerds are dorks, nothing can be objective, it is all about how you "feel." Decision making isn't based on feeling, it is based on common rules of morals and values that most common sense folk have agreed upon.

If you want to really know why we can't have a "mayberry", then take a look at some of the forums that talk about what heaven is going to be like. No one can totaly agree. Everyone has there own opinion, thats all I was trying to get across. I know there are few if any people that want a world full of rape and destruction, it was just an example.
PMEmail Poster                
Richard Bercot 
Posted: 05-Nov-2003, 11:09 PM
Quote Post

House of Hardy
Group Icon

ZodiacAsh

male

I have worked for Disney and I never had any problems with any of them. I was treated with the most respect while I was there, and I have met a lot of people there clear up to Michael and he was nice.

So the ones with the problems with Disney, Have you ever worked for them?

--------------------
May your days be filled with Merriment and May you walk in Balance with Creator.

"For every day you fish, you live another day"
PMEmail Poster                
McHaggis 
Posted: 05-Nov-2003, 11:51 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Pismo Beach on theCentral California Coast

male

I worked a few music gigs at Disneyland in Anaheim back in the late 60s. They partially sponsored The Anaheim Kingsmen Drum and Bugle Corps and we had to reciprocate by providing musicians for the Christmas parade and things like that. Kingsmen played a jazz version of Mickey Mouse Club March going into concert in their field show in early 70s as part of the agreement with Disney.

One of my best friends was the "head" Mickey Mouse in 67 and 68....might have posted a pic of him here somewhere. Last time I heard he was working with the Disney on ice revue but that was years back,

I think Tom Float, a well respected percussionist/instructor in the drum corps field and fomer Diplomat and Kingsmen, is still working with the percussion group that plays on metal ash cans....what are they called "The Ash Can Revue" or something? I went to music classes with another guy who worked in one of the choral groups there as well, but that was in 68 and I cannot remember his name.

Probably could recall a few more here and there if pressed, but that's all I can come up with

So, yeah, I have ties to the Mouswerks.

RON

--------------------
"NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT"

"...A bonnie lass I will confess,
Is pleasant to the e'e,
But without some better qualities
She's no lass for me...."

(From "O Once I Lov'd" - Robert Burns)

"There are few more impressive sights in the world than a Scotsman on the make." --J.M. BARRIE (1860-1937)
PMEmail Poster               
barddas 
Posted: 06-Nov-2003, 12:04 PM
Quote Post

Offical sacrifice to the guitar gods-Play til you bleed

ZodiacWillow

Realm: second star to the right, straight until morning

male

QUOTE (maryellen @ Nov 5 2003, 10:38 PM)
Decision making isn't based on feeling, it is based on common rules of morals and values that most common sense folk have agreed upon.

Isn't it? A feeling is conected with ones personal belief system which consist of those morals and values. So, wouldn't they *almost* be interchangable....

--------------------
BARDDAS BLOG/WEB SITE

Co Founder/Member of the KDC

Music is holy, art is sacred, and creativity is power

Everyday is EARTH DAY to a farmer

"Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much."
Oscar Wilde

Some men are drawn to oceans, they cannot breathe unless the air is scented with a salty mist. Others are drawn to land that is flat, and the air is sullen and is leaden as August. My people were drawn to mountains- Earl Hamner Jr.

PMEmail Poster                
RavenWing 
Posted: 06-Nov-2003, 12:12 PM
Quote Post

Dorkus Trollus Maximus

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Indiana, USA

female

QUOTE (Annabelle @ Nov 5 2003, 06:19 AM)
Elspeth there is a little subdivision developed by the Disney Corp called Celebration. It is right off of Hwy 192...It looks picture perfect..the houses look similar but each a little different in Victorian styling...you pay a fee each year and everyone gets their yard cut on the ssame day so everyone's yard looks the same...the grass is the same level in the whole neighborhood..
although it looks perfect, town square, community playground everything, there is no way the rest of the world is going to go away...
those that live there live with the same dangers that are in our world today...it's nice to wish for but unrealistic...
If you find it, call me and I'll move too!
Annabelle

Here is where people differ...that sounds like a nightmare to me. I would hate for everything to be the same. blink.gif

--------------------
May all your up's and down's be under the sheets!

Religion is for those who are afraid of going to Hell. Spirituality is for those who have already been there.
- Anonymous
PMEmail Poster               
oldraven 
Posted: 06-Nov-2003, 12:19 PM
Quote Post

The Protector of the Unknown
Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Guysborough Co., Nova Scotia

male

Hey guys. This perfect world you're looking for exists. It's called Nova Scotia. wink.gif
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]