Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Enter at own risk!

The Philosophy, Science & Religion forum has been created as an unmoderated forum. The issues discussed here can and will get very intense. Please show respect and appreciation to alternative views posted here. We appreciate your consideration.

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Mayberry?
Elspeth 
Posted: 03-Nov-2003, 03:10 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Wales
ZodiacReed

female

OK, perhaps this is a lame question to be placed in philosophy, but I am curious.

Recently I have had crime brought right to my doorstep. In talking to the detective, he said "We don't live in Mayberry". I told him but I want to. He responded everyone wants to, but we don't.

OK, that begs for me the question

- If we all want to live in Mayberry, they why don't we?

For those perhaps unfamiliar with Mayberry, it is the setting of a 60's sitcom where crime was nonexistant, people caring and everyone looked out for one another. It has become an American byword for a social eutopia.

So, back to the question -

If we all want it, why don't we have it?

Is it a function of the majority allowing a few bad apples to dictate?

Or do we really not want it in anything but fantasy?

Can it be achieved?

Thoughts?

--------------------
Compassion is the sometimes fatal capacity for feeling what it is like inside somebody else's skin. It is the knowledge that there can never really be any peace and joy for me until there is peace and joy finally for you too.
- Frederick Buechner

If society prospers at the expense of the intangibles,
how can it be called progress?

-LLP
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
kidclaymore 
Posted: 03-Nov-2003, 05:38 PM
Quote Post

THE BLACK KNIGHT
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacAsh

Realm: North East Texas

male

Hi Elspeth

I work for a Sheriff's office here where I live, so I see people at their very worst. No the world is not Mayberry and for the most part I don't think the world really wants it to be, but maybe some day it will happen, if and when human nature changes.

--------------------
Slainte
Cho Sona ri radan ann am muileann and Gus an coinnich sinn a rithisd
Clan Lamont
PMEmail Poster               
Shadows 
Posted: 03-Nov-2003, 05:49 PM
Quote Post

Reader of souls, vision seeker, TROLL
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: The frontier of Penn's Woods

male

As I have said before... I work in Loss Prevention for a major department store...what I see makes me sick!!! Parents teaching their kids to steal, teenagers out for kicks just taking , then there are those who make a living stealing!!! Had a gun pulled on me recently, third time in my life, not a good feeling!!!

Mayberry???... will never happen in our lives! To much BS and selfishness in the world... teach your own to respect and then maybe, but not Mayberry!

--------------------
I support the separation of church and hate!

IMAGINATION - the freest and largest nation in the world!

One can not profess to be of "GOD" and show intolerence and prejudice towards the beliefs of others.

Am fear nach gleidh na h–airm san t–sith, cha bhi iad aige ’n am a’ chogaidh.
He that keeps not his arms in time of peace will have none in time of war.

"We're all in this together , in the parking lot between faith and fear" ... O.C.M.S.

“Beasts feed; man eats; only the man of intellect knows how to eat well.”

"Without food we are nothing, without history we are lost." - SHADOWS

Is iomadh duine laghach a mhill an Creideamh.
Religion has spoiled many a good man.

The clan MacEwen
kidclaymore 
Posted: 03-Nov-2003, 05:59 PM
Quote Post

THE BLACK KNIGHT
Group Icon

ZodiacAsh

male

Well said Shadows
PMEmail Poster               
Shadows 
Posted: 03-Nov-2003, 06:25 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHolly

male

Thanks!!! I meant what I said, this world sucks as long as there are those who think it owes them just for being!!!! sad.gif
Swanny 
Posted: 03-Nov-2003, 07:00 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

Realm: Two Rivers, Alaska

male

Elspeth, and all. Even the "bad guys" want to live in Mayberry. Their perception of such a place is that of a "target rich environment" where they might plunder, pillage and worse at will. Unfortunately, that is "their" view of Utopia.

I'm truly sorry that crime was brought to your door step. I truly hate to see anybody victimized, especially those of gentle spirit but I'm afraid that so long as we live on this world that is something we will have to endure.

It is not the adversity you face that defines your character, but rather how you face the adversity.

Swanny

--------------------
user posted image "You can't run with the big dogs if you still pee like a puppy".

Stardancer Historical Freight Dogs, Two Rivers, Alaska.

"Aut pax, aut bellum" (Clan Gunn)
PMEmail Poster               
Elspeth 
Posted: 03-Nov-2003, 07:08 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacReed

female

Thank you so very much for your kind words Swanny, they are greatly appreciated.

Shadows and Kidclaymore, you guys have the unenviable task of dealing with, for lack of a better word, the dregs. However, that is what? Five, ten percent of society as a whole?

So, I go back to the original question.

I guess one of the questions I come back to is what can the rest of us, those who do not live our lives or raise our children in the manner of those you interact with, what can we do to reclaim our society?

Like in that movie clip - I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore.

Why do we just wish for it to be better?

Shadows 
Posted: 03-Nov-2003, 07:27 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHolly

male

Look again! If you think it is only 5 to 10 % you are in need of an awakening!!!

It is more like 25 - 33 % that steal!!!

My store alone has a $1.5 million loss each year to grandma's, grandapa's, brothers, sisters, momma's, daddies, and all those between that feel it won't hurt to take this one thing, the owners have so much! Like hell!!!

Everytime someone steals the cost of the goods you buy goes up by 5%!!! That alone makes me MAD!!! that means that my dollars don't go as far as they did last year!!!

I don't know about you but my salary does not go up by 5% every year, so I am paying more just to live because there are those that think we all owe them to live!!!

There is more dishonesty in the world then you seem to realize...!

And that just covers the honest part of society.. we have yet to touch those that thrive off of criminality!!!

Come into my world for a few weeks... your opinion of those around you will change!
Richard Bercot 
Posted: 03-Nov-2003, 07:33 PM
Quote Post

House of Hardy
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacAsh

male

QUOTE (Elspeth @ Nov 3 2003, 04:10 PM)
Recently I have had crime brought right to my doorstep. In talking to the detective, he said "We don't live in Mayberry". I told him but I want to. He responded everyone wants to, but we don't.

OK, that begs for me the question

- If we all want to live in Mayberry, they why don't we?

We can live in Mayberry.

The Town I live in is quiet. We have a population here of 98, so it is not the Big City. We don't have neighbors calling the law on neighbors. It is all handled peacefully. All the neighbors knows each other and everyone watches out for all the kids. We don't stick our nose in everyone business. We all take notice if something is wrong. And we have no trouble.

The main thing is that the children are taught to respect their Neighbors. And the Adults respect the kids.

So what is wrong with Mayberry? What are the exact requirements for it?

Mayberry was not just a Town, it was a Community

The thing that is probably missing is just one word, "RESPECT"

--------------------
May your days be filled with Merriment and May you walk in Balance with Creator.

"For every day you fish, you live another day"
PMEmail Poster                
Swanny 
Posted: 03-Nov-2003, 07:59 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

Realm: Two Rivers, Alaska

male

The thing that is probably missing is just one word, "RESPECT"

You're on the right track here.

My personal opinion though is that what is truly lacking in our world today is a defined by a word that only seems to be heard in old war movies. That word is honor.

Swanny
PMEmail Poster               
Richard Bercot 
Posted: 03-Nov-2003, 08:09 PM
Quote Post

House of Hardy
Group Icon

ZodiacAsh

male

QUOTE (Swanny @ Nov 3 2003, 08:59 PM)

That word is honor.

Swanny,

I will agree with that too. Why don't we combine the two words and make three out of them.

Honor and Respect.
PMEmail Poster                
Elspeth 
Posted: 03-Nov-2003, 08:11 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacReed

female

I am raising my children to respect, honor and even obey. (man, they are getting ready to get married! biggrin.gif )

Seriously, we do that and so do most others we know, but certianly not all.

Of course we can only control our own actions, but again, so often people sit back and wish for what they lack. There must be more. Can we all move to your town Richard? laugh.gif

Perhaps it is in the awareness of the need where change can be brought about.

But what are we to do with those in society who do not respect or honor?

So often it seems to come back to a front porch mentality. Another version of Mayberry. But when people had front porches and used them, they knew their neighbors and knew what was going on in the neighborhood. Knew who was in need too.

We use our front porch, but few others do.
Most use their decks hidden away. Everyone living their private lives. Perhaps that is why we have lost our sense of community in most places.
kidclaymore 
Posted: 03-Nov-2003, 08:27 PM
Quote Post

THE BLACK KNIGHT
Group Icon

ZodiacAsh

male

The thing is, the people who want to live in peace are in a minority. Sure there's alot of people who want's peace and safety, but those who pray on such people are more numerous. Richard, its nice to live in a small town, But how far is it to the big city next to where you live?. But really it dosn't matter, sooner or later the "bad people" start moving out to the small towns for earier pickings. I hope and pray that this dosn't happen where you live, but I have seen it many times before, It happen to my family and I. The point is unless you move so far out, it will catch up to you no matter what you do. I feel as if scoiety as a whole is breaking down.
PMEmail Poster               
3Ravens 
Posted: 03-Nov-2003, 08:58 PM
Quote Post

Herbmistress of Erin
Group Icon

ZodiacRowan

Realm: south coastal Virginia

female

A word that has been floating through all these posts but doesn't seem to have been highlighted is the key. That word is community. When you know your neighbors, you will care for and about them. You don't prey on people you care for. So often today we don't know the guy next door or across the hall, never mind the guy two doors down or on the next floor. We need to make a deliberate effort to connect. I know it's not the only answer, and it won't work on the sociopaths, but it's a start.

--------------------
If age is a learning experience, I should be a genius by now...
PMEmail Poster               
oldraven 
  Posted: 03-Nov-2003, 09:06 PM
Quote Post

The Protector of the Unknown
Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Guysborough Co., Nova Scotia

male

QUOTE (3Ravens @ Nov 3 2003, 09:58 PM)
When you know your neighbors, you will care for and about them.

You forgot one thing, 3Ravens. When you know, and like them. tongue.gif

--------------------
Caw

"I am a Canadian by birth, but I am a Highlander by blood and feel under an obligation to do all I can for the sake of the Highlanders and their literature.... I have never yet spoken a word of English to any of my children. They can speak as much English as they like to others, but when they talk to me they have to talk in Gaelic."

-Alexander Maclean Sinclair of Goshen (protector of Gaelic Culture)

We need more Stan Rogers.

jams
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]