Aon_Daonna 
Posted on 30-Jan-2004, 08:36 AM
Quote Post

The Wolf Lady

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacIvy

Realm: Fife, Scotland

female

well, I think the AFA can claim alot... personally I don't think the poll was hijacked by anybody but alot of people told others about it by e-mail. What they vote is their own thing... smile.gif

--------------------
Moderator: The Playground (RPG)

Carpe Jugulum
Carved with a twisted smile
An epitaph for sorrow
Sethian - Epitaph

If anybody wants a costum signature, pm me!
PMEmail Poster               
Randy 
Posted on 30-Jan-2004, 08:44 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacReed

Realm: Rochester, NY

male

I fully support Gay marrage

I heard a story on the radio about a guy in intensive care who was with another guy for 25 years and his father who threw him out of his house for being gay got to make medical decisions for him. If they were married his husband would be able to make these decisions for him.
PMEmail Poster               
scottish2 
Posted on 01-Feb-2004, 09:34 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

And this is why I say Gays need to have the same benifits as straight people. It's none of the fathers business if the gay son wants to have a gay partner. I mean if it was a girlfriend he'd never have done this in fcat he'd probably be hugging her. Not saying he has to hug the gay partner but he has no right to throw him out of anywhere when it is only the gay son who can do that. It's not the fathers home to do anything with.
PMEmail Poster               
maisky 
Posted on 05-Feb-2004, 07:33 AM
Quote Post

King of CelticRadio.net Jesters
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacIvy

Realm: Easton, PA

male

QUOTE (birddog20002001 @ Jan 29 2004, 09:43 PM)
I am of the mind that tax laws that benefit strait married couples infringe on the rights of singles and gays. Just replace the word married with white in the tax code, it is the same thing.
I also believe that gays should be allowed to make and partnership they want to with all of the benefits of marrige. A few months ago a friend sent me an e-mail poll by the American Family Association the offered
1. I support full gay marrige
2. I support gay marrige no name chang
3. I don't support gay marrige

they promised to take the results to DC and tell the world what the people think about gay marrige until they lost

508,000 votes
60% chose 1.
7.9% chose 2.

The AFA claimed that the poll was hijacked by groups of gays therefore not an accurate picture and they would not contribute to bad info being put out.

I remember when I was a kid and I saw a horse "show a little love" to this cow I was embarassed by the poor confused horse but I sure wasn't going to try and stop them. Just remember it takes all kinds.

I'm with you on this one birddog...Biggotry is ugly, whatever form it takes and however it is disguised.

We all have our prejudices: I am deeply prejudiced against biggots!! tongue.gif

jester.gif

--------------------
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
Carl Sagan
PMEmail Poster               
Aon_Daonna 
Posted on 05-Feb-2004, 01:08 PM
Quote Post

The Wolf Lady

ZodiacIvy

female

mmh.. I saw something on telly that in Michigan (or was it Minnesota? Or Missouri?? aaargh ) that a court ruled that gay couples can enter a civil union (aka matrimony aka marriage wink.gif ) from soon on. I was half asleep so I don't really remember all of it.
PMEmail Poster               
Highlander 
Posted on 06-Feb-2004, 08:43 AM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacHazel

Realm: New York, USA

male

I believe the question was,"do you support gay marriages"? My answer to that is no, I do not.

While I believe in the rights for all people, and if they choose to become partners in life and not with the opposite sex, then they choose to "live outside " what society finds acceptable. They should have no special "rights" afforded them just because they are gay, nor should they have any rights taken away from them for the same reason.

There are many things our Constitution says about our rights and many things that are implied by the founding fathers concerning faith and religious freedoms. The government has no right to decide this issue but the churches DO.

Where do Gays get off claiming rights violations because they are no allowed to marry, where do they get off trying to force the State and or federal governments to allow their marriages, under what rights do they claim "special" rights over everyone else just because they are gay.

If gays wish to marry then they must first have the laws changed, to allow marriage between same sex couples, but do not do it by claiming some special right that does not exist. The legal definition of marriage is the union between a man and a woman for the propose of pro-creation in the eyes of god. Is this definition arcane, maybe but it what it is, a definition accepted by the people of not only America but most of the countries of the world.

So if Gays wish to marry then do it according to the laws of our country and do not try to claim special rights, or that these non-existing rights are being violated, then get them changed, it's their right to challenge the validity of any law, but it is not their right to expect special treatment under a right that legally does not exist.

"The people of this State, in common with the people of this country, profess the general doctrines of Christianity, as the rule of their faith and practice ... We are a Christian people, and the morality of the country is deeply engrafted upon Christianity, and not upon the doctrines or worship of those impostors [other religions] ... It is also said, and truly, that the Christian religion is a part of the common law ... proven by the volume of unofficial declarations to the mass of utterances that this is a Christian nation. We find everywhere a clear recognition of this same truth."
Chancellor Kent
the great commentator on American law,
Chief Justice to the Supreme Court of New York

--------------------
Highlander, 2004

"Fortune favors the Daring"
Neither draw me without cause, nor return me without honour
Clan MacKinnon
PMEmail Poster               
Aon_Daonna 
Posted on 06-Feb-2004, 01:52 PM
Quote Post

The Wolf Lady

ZodiacIvy

female

To be true, okay Christianity shaped the world as it is (and I do NOT mean it entirely in a positive way!) but in a world as it is today we should be able to live and let live and a comment above is in my eyes discriminating minorities because not everybody is Christian even though the laws may be based on the morality of that culture.
PMEmail Poster               
Highlander 
Posted on 06-Feb-2004, 10:20 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacHazel

male

Ah, but Aon, it is what our country was founded upon, christianity right or wrong. If something is right in your eyes but wrong in the eyes of society, then who is right? Societies where form for two reasons I believe, protection and civility, so when you have a society there must be rules that all must abide by for that society to survive, so whether gay marriages are right to some but wrong to others it will be up to society to either accept or reject these unions, once that decision is rendered then and only then will this issue be put to bed. It is not the governments place to decide but it is societies place, not only our place but our duty, and what society decides will influence both gays and straight people for many years to come. Being from the sixties generation it is not "power to the government" it it "power to the people" let society decide.
PMEmail Poster               
maisky 
Posted on 07-Feb-2004, 09:30 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacIvy

male

QUOTE (Highlander @ Feb 6 2004, 11:20 PM)
Ah, but Aon, it is what our country was founded upon, christianity right or wrong.

I beg to differ, sir. The US was based on freedom of religion, NOT christianity.

Many of the earliest settlers came here to escape repressive christian regeimes in Europe.
PMEmail Poster               
Highlander 
Posted on 07-Feb-2004, 10:56 AM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacHazel

male

The early settlers where seeking many things, freedom of religion, freedom of excess taxation, but the foundation of our country was based on one thing and that was christinanity....

"It can not be emphasized too strongly or too often that this great nation was founded, not by religionists, but by Christians; not on religions, but on the Gospel of Jesus Christ."
Patrick Henry

"... Providence has given to our people the choice of their rulers, and it is the duty as well as the privilege and interest of our Christian nation to select and prefer Christians for their rulers."

"National prosperity can neither be obtained nor preserved without the favor of Providence."
John Jay
first Chief Justice to the U.S. Supreme Court

"The people of this State, in common with the people of this country, profess the general doctrines of Christianity, as the rule of their faith and practice ... We are a Christian people, and the morality of the country is deeply engrafted upon Christianity, and not upon the doctrines or worship of those impostors [other religions] ... It is also said, and truly, that the Christian religion is a part of the common law ... proven by the volume of unofficial declarations to the mass of utterances that this is a Christian nation. We find everywhere a clear recognition of this same truth."
Chancellor Kent
the great commentator on American law,
Chief Justice to the Supreme Court of New York

"Our laws and our institutions must necessarily be based upon the teachings of the Redeemer of mankind. It is impossible that it should be otherwise; and in this sense and to this extent, our civilization and our institutions are emphatically Christian."

"No purpose of action against religion can be imputed to any legislation (State or National) because this is a religious people ... this is a Christian nation."
United Sates Supreme Court - 1892
PMEmail Poster               
maisky 
Posted on 07-Feb-2004, 01:31 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacIvy

male

It would appear that our opinions on this subject will not converge. biggrin.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Aon_Daonna 
Posted on 07-Feb-2004, 05:47 PM
Quote Post

The Wolf Lady

ZodiacIvy

female

hehe, I also beg to differ, I am not American smile.gif

I have not said that Christianity doesn't play a role in history.. no, I'm too much into history as to just discard that fact and I said above that our morals today are based on Christian morals.

Whatever people say, in my eyes it is still discriminating others, non-christians. With all that over-PC-ness around isn't it quite hypocritical in my eyes when you go and tell everybody "Christian nation if you like it or not".

Today is not the days of the first settlers.
PMEmail Poster               
maisky 
Posted on 07-Feb-2004, 06:23 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacIvy

male

Fortunately our forefathers (not the foremothers fault tongue.gif ) saw fit to make a careful separation of church and state and to insure that the rights of minorities were protected. I am sure that in due course the US supreme court will decide the issue of this thread, as provided for in the constitution. No matter how strongly a majority (or minority) religeous group feels about the point, they can not circumvent the rights of minorities. thumbs_up.gif

jester.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Highlander 
Posted on 08-Feb-2004, 03:35 AM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacHazel

male

Ah, Maisky and Aon, once again we part company on opinion. Our fore-Fathers never had the intension of separating State from Church, in fact it was just the opposite. With this countries founding upon Christianity religious principals played a most important part of our development as a young country. What the founding father intended with the separations of church and state doctrine was simple, the United State would support no church over that of another. This was done so that no single church could become the powerhouse that the Church of England had become. The separation of church and state in todays America has become bastardized to the extent that the government can accept or support no religion whats so ever, despite our being founded of the principles of christianity. argue.gif

And the debate continues, just as the fore fathers intended...smile.gif
PMEmail Poster               
maisky 
Posted on 08-Feb-2004, 04:22 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacIvy

male

QUOTE (Highlander @ Feb 8 2004, 04:35 AM)

And the debate continues, just as the fore fathers intended...smile.gif

They may have had no idea how important the separation would become, with relatively few people of other religions around at the time. It was a matter of protecting the minorities from the church of england and the catholic church at the start. Now however, the US has become a melting pot of different religeous traditions, making it protection of all others from the majority amalgam of different christian sects. It works. biggrin.gif
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]