> Books On Christianity
Siobhan Blues 
Posted: 03-Feb-2004, 01:54 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAsh

female

QUOTE (CelticRose @ Feb 1 2004, 12:25 AM)
Ooh! I have The Case for Christ in my book shelf. Just bought it a few weeks ago. Embarrassed to say I have not read it yet! bag.gif Thanks for sharing! smile.gif

Get that thang off the shelf and READ it, girlfriend!!!

biggrin.gif

Because when you're done, you're going to want to read 'The Case for Faith' - it is the coolest thing. And I thought I was going to have to do all that research by myself; nope, cause Strobel has done it and tells you where it came from too.
He's cool, and a good 'read' too. He's got the best explanation of Darwinism and evolution theories I've ever read.

My mom just gave me 'The Traveler's Gift' (by Andy Andrews, I think) just last night and I turned to a random page this morning only to feel like it was written specifically for me - it hit me like a punch in the stomach. It was exactly what I needed to see, to start off this day with some courage! Guess I'd better go read the

--------------------
"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king..."
user posted image

SGGardner Art

www.SouthernShireFarm.com
PM               
andylucy 
Posted: 03-Feb-2004, 11:46 PM
Quote Post

High Chief Of The Dartboard
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacOak

Realm: Western Kentucky

male

QUOTE (RavenWing @ Feb 3 2004, 09:22 AM)
Andy - you may know this.   Isn't there another set of City of God books writtern by Sister Faustina (whatever the rest of her name is)?  Or am I just getting all my Catholic church/school education jumbled?  It has been a while since I used it.  tongue.gif

I think you are thinking of The Mystical City of God by the Venerable Mary of Agreda. It is a 4 volume set about her mystical vision of the life of Our Lady. It is pretty good, as it gives insight into the personal life of Our Lord and Our Lady and St. Joseph. Just keep in mind that it was written by a 17th century nun, and it is a good theological read, especially if you are into mystical locutions.

See this website for information on Venerable Mary of Agreda.

St. Mary Faustina Kowalska wrote Divine Mercy In My Soul, which was a diary of her mystical visions of Christ and Our Lady, prior to her death in 1938. She is frequently pictured alongside an image of Our Lord with what looks like a prismatic rainbow emanating from his heart. It is the foundation for most of the devotions to the Divine Mercy. She was canonized in 2000 by John Paul II.

See this website for information on St. Mary Faustina Kowalska.

Just my tuppence.

Andy

--------------------
Just my tuppence.

Andy

Never drink to excess; you might shoot at a tax collector and miss. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes.

TANSTAAFL

If a person doesn't believe in something, he'll soon believe in anything. - G. K. Chesterton

9-1-1: state sponsored Dial-A-Prayer
PMEmail Poster               
Elspeth 
Posted: 04-Feb-2004, 07:47 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Wales
ZodiacReed

female

Here are two I have liked.

Everybody's Normal Til You Get to Know Them - by John Ortberg

And

The Journey of Desire by John Eldredge

I haven't read it all yet, but add in

The Cloister Walk by Kathleen Norris

and I want to read some by Annie Dillard.

--------------------
Compassion is the sometimes fatal capacity for feeling what it is like inside somebody else's skin. It is the knowledge that there can never really be any peace and joy for me until there is peace and joy finally for you too.
- Frederick Buechner

If society prospers at the expense of the intangibles,
how can it be called progress?

-LLP
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
RavenWing 
Posted: 04-Feb-2004, 10:31 AM
Quote Post

Dorkus Trollus Maximus

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Indiana, USA

female

QUOTE (andylucy @ Feb 4 2004, 05:46 AM)
I think you are thinking of The Mystical City of God by the Venerable Mary of Agreda. It is a 4 volume set about her mystical vision of the life of Our Lady. It is pretty good, as it gives insight into the personal life of Our Lord and Our Lady and St. Joseph. Just keep in mind that it was written by a 17th century nun, and it is a good theological read, especially if you are into mystical locutions.

See this website for information on Venerable Mary of Agreda.

St. Mary Faustina Kowalska wrote Divine Mercy In My Soul, which was a diary of her mystical visions of Christ and Our Lady, prior to her death in 1938. She is frequently pictured alongside an image of Our Lord with what looks like a prismatic rainbow emanating from his heart. It is the foundation for most of the devotions to the Divine Mercy. She was canonized in 2000 by John Paul II.

See this website for information on St. Mary Faustina Kowalska.

Just my tuppence.

Andy

Thanks for straightening it all out for me. It starts to run together after a while. I have read some if that, and it was fascinating.

My dad always had the Divine Mercy Novena thingsaround, so I guess that is where I got Sister Faustina's name.

--------------------
May all your up's and down's be under the sheets!

Religion is for those who are afraid of going to Hell. Spirituality is for those who have already been there.
- Anonymous
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 04-Feb-2004, 02:59 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Has anyone read "The Creative Call" by Janice Elsheimer? It says in the back: "Many of us long to live more fully in our creativity but don't know how to find or renew that artisitic passion. It is a very good book that I would highly recommend for any writer or artist.
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
andylucy 
Posted: 09-Feb-2004, 02:29 AM
Quote Post

High Chief Of The Dartboard
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacOak

Realm: Western Kentucky

male

QUOTE (RavenWing @ Feb 4 2004, 10:31 AM)
Thanks for straightening it all out for me.  It starts to run together after a while.  I have read some if that, and it was fascinating.

I totally understand things running together. There are times when I wish there was really a Pensieve, like in the Harry Potter series, so we could put some of our thoughts in there when our heads get too full. laugh.gif

QUOTE (RavenWing @ Feb 4 2004, 10:31 AM)
My dad always had the Divine Mercy Novena thingsaround,  so I guess that is where I got Sister Faustina's name.

I have a strong devotion to the Divine Mercy, myself. I pray the Divine Mercy Chaplet every Friday, in addition to the rosary.

Just my tuppence.

Andy

PMEmail Poster               
truk77 
Posted: 10-Feb-2004, 11:04 AM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacIvy

male

Hearty second to C.S. Lewis. Mere Christianity was excellent, and would likely be the first book I'd give a young believer. I have Screwtape and "The Great Divorce" on my "to read" list.

Currently, I'm reading John Piper's "Desiring God". Excellent and eye opening book. Really the best book I've read on really understanding the heart of God.

For the record, my favorite translations are the NASB and the ESV.
PMEmail Poster               
RavenWing 
Posted: 10-Feb-2004, 01:25 PM
Quote Post

Dorkus Trollus Maximus

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Indiana, USA

female

QUOTE (andylucy @ Feb 9 2004, 08:29 AM)

I totally understand things running together. There are times when I wish there was really a Pensieve, like in the Harry Potter series, so we could put some of our thoughts in there when our heads get too full. laugh.gif

I will be the first in line if they start handing those out.
PMEmail Poster               
Raven 
Posted: 16-Feb-2004, 10:27 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Indianapolis, IN

male

QUOTE (CelticRose @ Jan 31 2004, 05:56 PM)
I have some very favorite authors that I would like to share. Josh MacDowell, Evidence that Demands a Verdict and others of his books. I also like Hank Hanegraft, Philip Yancy, John Ankerberg, Robert Lightener and Lee Strobel. Most of these are theology books, if you like that sort of thing. My favorite devotional book is "More Precious Than Silver" by Joni Erickson Tada.

Anxious to hear your favorites! smile.gif

I too like Josh McDowell and have read Evidence that demands a Verdict both 1 & 2, I like the KJV(King James Version), NKJV, NAS and have read other translations as well but I tend to use the NKJV or the KJV for most reference purposes as I have no problem with the archaic language of the KJV and I enjoy poetic nature of this translation.

I also have enjoyed "The Fingerprint of God" By Astro Physicist, Hugh Ross. And a number of works from the Institute for Creation Research by Dr Henry M Morris (a lot of good information but heavily biased towards a very young universe with no real scientific evidence or substance to back it up).

I like much of CS Lewis including Mere Christianity and another very interesting work is Grudens "Systematic Theology"

I enjoy Hank Hanegraff, Philip Yancy and John Ankerberg also.

--------------------
He is no fool who gives up that which he can not keep to gain that which he cannot loose

www.arminta.net
PMEmail Poster               View My Space Profile.
CelticRoz 
Posted: 16-Feb-2004, 12:12 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Raven, have you heard Hank Hanegraff's radio show,The Bible Answer Man? I love that show but where I live now I cannot get it. I used to learn so much from that radio program! thumbs_up.gif

I met Hank Hanegraff at a seminar he gave in Atlanta one time. He was so nice and a very humble man.
Raven 
Posted: 16-Feb-2004, 12:59 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

male

I used to listen to it all the time when I was a truck driver. I also had some pretty interesting tapes by Chuck Misler I.E. Science and Christianity apologetics type themes. Very thought provoking.

I have found Hank to be mostly very balanced and reasonable in his answers on his radio program which has garnered some heat for him from time to time by certain mainstreamers.
Siobhan Blues 
Posted: 16-Feb-2004, 02:17 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

female

QUOTE (Raven @ Feb 16 2004, 11:27 AM)
I like much of CS Lewis including Mere Christianity... and another very interesting work is Grudens "

That is a terrific book, isn't it... one of my all-time favorites. My father recently discovered C.S. and commented to me that C.S. seemed to be 'talking above his head' some of the time! Dad asked me what it was about Lewis' writings that appealed to me so much and I replied that it was his point of view I found fascinating: a former atheist turned Christian. He has an outlook on Christ that seems so refreshing to me; having grown up attending a Protestant church, the lingo that church people use to talk about salvation and Christ gets tiresome to me sometimes...

Lewis' account of how he became a believer is cool too. Have you read of it?
PM               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 16-Feb-2004, 02:22 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Oh Raven! I love Hank Hanegraff! I gained even more respect for him when I met him at the seminar I attended of his in Atlanta. He appears to be a very wonderful Christian and humble man who has the brain capacity of Bible knowledge of the size of the planet, but doesn't throw it in your face! He knows his stuff, no doubt about it.
Raven 
Posted: 17-Feb-2004, 10:43 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

male

QUOTE (Siusaidh Blues @ Feb 16 2004, 03:17 PM)
That is a terrific book, isn't it... one of my all-time favorites. My father recently discovered C.S. and commented to me that C.S. seemed to be 'talking above his head' some of the time! Dad asked me what it was about Lewis' writings that appealed to me so much and I replied that it was his point of view I found fascinating: a former atheist turned Christian. He has an outlook on Christ that seems so refreshing to me; having grown up attending a Protestant church, the lingo that church people use to talk about salvation and Christ gets tiresome to me sometimes...

Lewis' account of how he became a believer is cool too. Have you read of it?

No Siob

I have not read his account. But having grown well in to adult hood a none Christian I still share your chagrin at the lingo that is often used by the church (or at least the people in it) and the whole subculture that has spawned this dialect.

I think that if more Christians concentrated on their relationship instead of their religion that the world view of Christians in general would be quite different. (just my opinion valid or not wink.gif )

That is one thing that I too enjoy about Lewis is his perspective and his sublte turn of a phrase in his fictional words that speak the truth but do not bowl you over with it.
Siobhan Blues 
Posted: 17-Feb-2004, 03:30 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

female

QUOTE (Raven @ Feb 17 2004, 11:43 AM)
...I still share your chagrin at the lingo that is often used by the church (or at least the people in it) and the whole subculture that has spawned this dialect.
I think that if more Christians concentrated on their relationship instead of their religion that the world view of Christians in general would be quite different. (just my opinion valid or not wink.gif )

Good point. The lingo almost sounds like some kind of secret language that only "the saved" know... I'm not comfortable with it. Even some of the phrases like 'washed in the blood' sound so negative, so violent that I don't like using them even though I understand what the phrase is referring to: the bloody death of Christ was what removed my own sin...

You know what, though, the Christianity I've been exposed to through my Protestant denomination is very well intentioned in trying to share its beliefs with other people; they sincerely believe what they have found is so great, they want everyone to join in with them and find the peace that they've found. But unfortunately many of them vigorously condemn what others believe without realizing that there may be crucial tenants shared...

PM               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]