Bookmark and Share
Rindy 
Posted: 02-Feb-2008, 01:23 AM
Quote Post

Peasant

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

female

Me too everyone.....anyone here grow mullen? I heard it was a healer tea?
Kicked the snow off my lavendar today it was weighing it down too much. My catalogs are pouring in too. Oh, has anyone grown indian corn? I really am ready for some dirt....lol..

Slainte
PMEmail Poster               
munbeam 
Posted: 04-Feb-2008, 09:37 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacRowan

female

Hello all,

I'm new to this site and just felling my way around. I found this cite by accident searching the internet for information on medicinal herbs.

I've lived in my current location for 6 years now. I'm an organic gardener with extensive raised and traditional beds. I grow just about everything and I specialize in European Heirloom. Oh, and my kids like the stranger the better. Anything I can grow that is purple is always a bit kick for them. We like to try new types of veggies each year.

Ok, I have already gone through all my catalogs and bought everything from the companies that give me the $20-$25 off. I usually buy just equipment or fruit trees, since I have my organic catalogs I order from. Just got a new 4-in-1 soil tester, I can't wait to use it. No more mixing and measuring for me just stick the probe in the ground.

Yesterday, I fired up one of my hydroponic seed starter systems. I have tomatoes, peppers, broccoli, cauliflower, eggplant and cukes going at the moment. I'll wait a few more weeks and get some more going and by late Feb hope to have my greenhouse at full swing. Right now the system is bubbling away in my bay window, in the kitchen. I can't wait to get going!

I'm looking for someone out there who has a strong knowledge of medicinal herbs. I already have numerous herbs for cooking, but I want to expand and want to learn more.

Angie
in South-Central PA
PMEmail Poster               
Dogshirt 
Posted: 04-Feb-2008, 09:41 PM
Quote Post

Lord of the Northern Plains
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacElder

Realm: Washington THE State

male

I still have 2+ feet of snow! We don't even THINK garden until May!

beer_mug.gif

--------------------
Hoka Hey!
The more Liberals I meet, the more I like my dogs!
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
munbeam 
Posted: 05-Feb-2008, 05:57 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacRowan

female

2 feet, wow. I'd love that. We are big time skiers.

I can't believe it is February, yet today and tomorrow are supposed to be in the 60s. We haven't had a bad winter in a few years. The temps have been yo-yoing all winter. Of course we may have a cold snap at any moment, so I always start my plants either in the house or in the greenhouse. I won't even start them in the greenhouse this early. Thankfully, I have two huge bay windows that I use to get a jump on the season. I like them better than using a grow light in the garage, and I've had better success.

My father-in-law and I have a friendly competition each year to see
1. who can get the first ripe tomato
2. Who can get their gardens ready first and
3. who can get the first crops in.

He is a week ahead of me as far as planting time, etc, because he lives about 45 minutes southeast of me and I'm smack dab in a valley so it is usually about 5 degrees colder than the recorded temps for our area. Yet, I've managed to "win" the last two years thanks to all the new growing aids out there.

So far I've started 4 different tomatoes, 2 cukes, 1 each of an eggplant, bell pepper, cauliflower and broccoli in one of my hydroponic systems. Today I started, using these little mini trays, 3 kinds of cauliflower, lettuce, spinach, and parsley.

I called my father-in-law today to see how things are going, and what new gadgets he's acquired so far. He said he hasn't even started this year and blamed it on his new puppy taking up too much time. He's retired!

I've been searching the catalogs for the last few days, compiling a list and checking what I still have against what I may need (should say want, I don't "need" anything). I love all the new organic and European Heirlooms that are available this year that I haven't seen before.

Well, I hope my comment have gotten all you other gardeners itch'n to get started.

Angie
in PA
PMEmail Poster               
gwenlee 
Posted: 05-Feb-2008, 08:41 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacAlder

female

My sister in law and I were discussing making a garden today. A big one. So far we will have corn, squash, tomatoes. Our problem will be the deer.
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
mainopsman 
Posted: 04-Jun-2008, 12:19 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Dundalk, Maryland

male

The Newman Center (Catholic Campus Ministry) at the University where I am employed is in the process of developing a "Bible Garden". This will also make available to students of the University who are in the Biology Studies Program a place for study of the plants. The property has one of the largest stands of Ginko Trees in the Middle Atlantic Region, a gift from the Japanese Government to the former owner of the property who was an ambassitor.

If anyone has had experience with this type of Garden or any ideas let me know. We are open to all suggestions.

JIM (mainopsman)

--------------------
Dedicate some of your life to others. Your dedication will not be a sacrifice. It will be an exhilarating experience because it is intense effort applied toward a meaningful end. Dr. Thomas Dooley
PMEmail Poster               
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics 2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt