Posted: 27-Oct-2005, 10:05 AM
Quote Post

Honored Clan Member

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Connecticut

female

New member here!

My grandmother's family were, at one time or another, McKusick, McKissock, and then, after Ellis Island, just Kissock. At one point, on a visit to Scotland, it seemed as if the family had associations (even if just geographically) with both Clanranald and with Campbell of Argyll. My grandfather's family was Young. I'd understood him to be a lowlander and, hence, not related to a Clan, but there has been recent information about a Clan Young tartan. My grandfather was a jokey sort, and none of us are entirely certain where he was from (sometimes he'd say "Perth" and at others "Dundee"). His sister would say that we were descended from Scottish kings, to which he'd reply "Don't forget the cattle thieves".

At any rate, if anyone has any insights into these clans and the likelihood of our connections to any of them, I'd appreciate hearing them!

Thanks!

--------------------
user posted image Just a wee deoch an dorris user posted image
"Not all who wander are lost"

user posted image
PMEmail Poster               
subhuman 
Posted: 31-Oct-2005, 10:01 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacWillow

Realm: 127.0.0.1

male

We'll start with info on the Youngs- there is indeed a Clan Young once again. I say once again because Clan Young lay dormant from 1672 to 1989.

Edward A Young III of Orlando, Florida contacted the Lord Lyon and was given permission to convene Clan Young, and to display the arms and crest of Peter Young of Auldbar, the last Clan chief of the Youngs. Clan Young convened January 9, 1988 at Orlando, Florida, where it was formally organized a year later with the election of it's first officers.

On May 16,1989 Malcolm R. Innes of Edingight, CVO, WS Lord Lyon King of Arms Scotland, confirmed the right for Clan Young to have a Crest Badge for all members of Clan Young, which would be the Crest of Young of Auldbar within a strap and buckle, with the Motto "Robore Prudentia Præstat".

Consider it to be official once more! This info was found here: http://www.electricscotland.com/webclans/s...toz/young2.html

The Young Tartan became official in 1992, which may make it difficult to find.
It might be said that Clan Young, is indeed a young Clan.

As for M(a)cKissock, that name is associated with both the MacDonalds of Clanranald and the Campbells, however I can't confirm or deny if the link is to the Campbells of Argyll.

MacKusick is also found with the MacDonalds of Clanranald.

On a humorous note, the current head of Clanranald is some clown by the name of Ronald MacDonald. smile.gif

--------------------
I have two modes: wiseass and dumbass. Mode is determined by current blood alcohol level.

Drinking is a sport. In order to be competitive, you must practice on a regular basis. Although you can practice alone, it is much more fun to practice with friends. If you're out of shape and practice too hard, you will regret it the next day.

Life is a disease. It is sexually transmitted and always terminal.
PMEmail Poster               
gallesjrrt 
Posted: 01-Nov-2005, 10:06 AM
Quote Post

Honored Clan Member

ZodiacHolly

female

Thanks, subhuman!

As to the Youngs being the youngest clan, ironically, my least favorite brother-in-law got his one and only laugh out of my late grandmother by stating on her birthday that she was the "oldest Young".

I actually was able to purchase a tie in the Modern Young tartan from Atholl Brose, a shop in Cambridge, MA (I actually purchased it at a Scottish festival), and was able to order a sash in the same tartan (hasn't arrived yet). The owner wasn't very encouraging about the "ancient tartan" - said that the weave wasn't very good at the moment.

I've got to get back to work, now, but I'm looking forward to looking into these links!

THANKS!

"Ronald MacDonald" rolleyes.gif WHY don't people think before they name their children! (of course, he COULD have been born before the McDonald chain ...)
PMEmail Poster               
Mailagnas maqqas Dunaidonas 
Posted: 01-Nov-2005, 12:36 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

male

QUOTE (gallesjrrt @ 01-Nov-2005, 11:06 AM)
"Ronald MacDonald"  rolleyes.gif WHY don't people think before they name their children! (of course, he COULD have been born before the McDonald chain ...)

As I recall, the 24th Chief of Clanranald spells his name Ranald, as did several of his ancestors. The 1st Chief was also named Ranald, so it would seem their use of the name does indeed pre-date the hamburger chain by at least a few centuries.
angel_not.gif angel_not.gif angel_not.gif

--------------------
Síochán leat,
Mailagnas
Clan Donald USA
PMEmail Poster               
gallesjrrt 
Posted: 01-Nov-2005, 01:41 PM
Quote Post

Honored Clan Member

ZodiacHolly

female

QUOTE (Mailagnas maqqas Dunaidonas @ 01-Nov-2005, 01:36 PM)
As I recall, the 24th Chief of Clanranald spells his name Ranald, as did several of his ancestors. The 1st Chief was also named Ranald, so it would seem their use of the name does indeed pre-date the hamburger chain by at least a few centuries.
angel_not.gif angel_not.gif angel_not.gif

True, BUT the current Chief goes by Ronald! laugh.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Mailagnas maqqas Dunaidonas 
Posted: 01-Nov-2005, 04:36 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

male

Here's a link to the current Clanranald's official biography on the Clan Donald Chiefs' Website.
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
PMEmail Poster               
subhuman 
Posted: 01-Nov-2005, 08:32 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacWillow

Realm: 127.0.0.1

male

[quote] Here's a link to the current Clanranald's official biography [/quote]

You'll notice that his son, also named Ranald MacDonald, owns a successful chain of restaurants. smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif
I fiirst saw his name listed in the quote below, and chacked before posting. Burke's Peerage lists his name as "Ranald" as well, but for this joke tha spelling of "Ronald" fit better. smile.gif

[/quote]October 17, 1999 The Mail on Sunday
By Andrew Beaven

A Highland Chieftain yesterday made an emotive plea for planning authorities to permit the renovation of his clan's ancestral home.

For more than 250 years Castle Tioram - once the mainland stronghold of the powerful Clanranald - has lain in ruins.

Legend has it that the imposing mediaeval fortress was torched by clan members during the Jacobite uprising to prevent it falling into the hands of the invading English.

Now ambitious proposals have been finalised to restore the castle.

But although the plans are to be submitted for official consideration next month, conservationists have already voiced their opposition, believing the castle should be left in ruins.

Last night the 24th chief of the Clanranald, Captain Ronald MacDonald argued that the restoration must go ahead.[/quote]
PMEmail Poster               
Robert Phoenix 
Posted: 13-Jul-2006, 10:45 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Ironwood, MI

male

Clan Young is one of the main clans that help run the Wisconsin Scottish festival. Most of the Members of Stone Ring, Steel Bonnets, and Three Pints Gone are also members in some way.
http://www.wisconsinscottish.org/

--------------------
Unavoidably Detained by the World

"Irishness is not primary a question of birth or blood or language; it is the condition on being involved in the Irish situation, and usually of being mauled by it."-Conor Cruise O'Brien

Pour mouth to mouth
PMEmail Poster               
Druid_of_Ark 
Posted: 10-Dec-2007, 10:59 AM
Quote Post

Chieftain of the Clan Cathcart-USA
Group Icon

Group: Order of the Knights
ZodiacAlder

Realm: Perryville, Arkansas

male

The Clan Young lived on the borderlands, and as for their presence in the US they are limited, but you may find it interesting to know that the US Clan Young is headed by a Lassie named Rebecca Sheiffeild she was a Young that married a Birtish Lad and thus has the English name. Much the pity! But I'll lift a cup in memory of the Borderland Youngs! beer_mug.gif

--------------------
Blessed Be,
Sir. Raibeart Paris, OGU
PMEmail Poster               
tyoung34461usa 
Posted: 13-Jan-2009, 06:27 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Florida

male

QUOTE (gallesjrrt @ 27-Oct-2005, 11:05 AM)
New member here!

My grandmother's family were, at one time or another, McKusick, McKissock, and then, after Ellis Island, just Kissock. At one point, on a visit to Scotland, it seemed as if the family had associations (even if just geographically) with both Clanranald and with Campbell of Argyll. My grandfather's family was Young. I'd understood him to be a lowlander and, hence, not related to a Clan, but there has been recent information about a Clan Young tartan. My grandfather was a jokey sort, and none of us are entirely certain where he was from (sometimes he'd say "Perth" and at others "Dundee"). His sister would say that we were descended from Scottish kings, to which he'd reply "Don't forget the cattle thieves".

At any rate, if anyone has any insights into these clans and the likelihood of our connections to any of them, I'd appreciate hearing them!

Thanks!

Greetings Gallesjrrt,
Found your post here and had to stop and say Hello! What caught my eye is the Clan Crest that appaers with every post you make. I'm a member of Clan Young too. Are you aware that there is a Yahoo group for members of Clan Young? Anyway it was nice to see a member of Clan Young here!

Best Aye,
Thomas Young

PMEmail Poster               
tyoung34461usa 
Posted: 13-Jan-2009, 06:58 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Florida

male

Oh I forgot to say. Where did you have that Clan Young Crest made?
Thanks,
Best Aye,
Thomas Young laugh.gif

PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]