Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> World Trade Center: The Movie, Comming out a little too soon?
CelticCoalition 
Posted: 05-Apr-2006, 11:35 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacReed

male

So I was listening to the radio this morning and they were dicussing the trailer for the World Trade Center movie comming out this past weekend. Apparently it's been pulled from New York theaters due to peoples strong adverse reactions there.

Which brings up soem questions. What are your thoughts on the movie? Is it too soon? Is it a good thing or a bad thing?

Personally I don't really know how I feel about it other than I'm not going to be seeing it.

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image
May those who love us love us
And those who don't love us
May God turn their hearts,
And if He doesn't turn their hearts,
May He turn their ankles,
So we'll know them by their limping.
PMEmail Poster               
Senara 
Posted: 05-Apr-2006, 11:38 AM
Quote Post

Musican/Ruler of the Dells/Warrior
Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Caer Portshire, Mist Hollow

female

I think as long as the story is acurate and the families who lost loved ones approve of it then it should be shown. I don't think it's too soon. I don't see the movie as being mean-spirited or meant to cause more harm than what's already been done.

Besides I beleive this movie focuses more on the events that took place on the flight that crashed in Pennsylvania and not the destruction of the towers. At least that's what I've gathered from the trailer when I saw it in the theatres a couple weeks ago.

--------------------
Senara-ism : Life is like a theatrical production only you get to be actor, director, and audience all at once. So break a leg, sit back and enjoy the show!

"When the waves are high and the light is dying, raise a glass and think of me..." -Gaelic Storm

Cha chòir dòrn a thoirt an aghaidh pòig.
A kiss ought not to be met with a fist.

Thig crioch air an saoghal, ach mairidh gaol is ceòl.
The world will pass away, but love and music last forever.

"I am a crazy, rabid squirrel! I want my cookies!" Hammy-Over the Hedge
PMEmail Poster               
Rindy 
Posted: 05-Apr-2006, 11:42 AM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

female

Good topic CelticCoalition. I feel like you do. I know it would make me sad but there is a lot of history that makes me sad. I can understand the pain that it will cause.
I think it will be ok if they stick to the story of what really happened. Its not out here yet is it where you are?

Slainte smile.gif
PMEmail Poster               
dundee 
Posted: 05-Apr-2006, 12:05 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacReed

male

i saw it live... it is burned into my heart, mind and soul...
i dont need the movie...

--------------------
jim

www.greyaengus.com

"If I say something that can be interpreted in two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant it the other way."

often in error, never in doubt.

if guns kill people then my pencil mis-spells words
quote: larry the cable guy

sometimes what ya think ya want
isnt what ya thought ya wanted
till ya get what ya thought ya wanted
and then what ya had is gone....
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
haynes9 
Posted: 05-Apr-2006, 12:14 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacElder

Realm: Ganado, Navajo Nation, Arizona

male

I guess a lot depends on what kind of liberties Hollywood takes for "dramatic elements." It is hard for me to say whether any time to release this would be good or bad. There's a part of me that's bothered that someone may make a profit off the misery of others, but so many movies are like that, aren't they? I guess we won't stop making war movies, etc.

No easy answer here.

--------------------
Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost. -- John Quincy Adams

Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less - Robert E. Lee

For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved - Romans 10:13 (KJV)

The Lord is good, a strong hold in the day of trouble, and he knoweth them that trust in him - Nahum 1:7 (KJV)
Senara 
Posted: 05-Apr-2006, 12:15 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

female

I realize some people have long memories and saw it first hand. I watched it on TV and unfortunately it was a tragic event. There's no doubt about that. But I would still like to see the movie in order to find out what happened behind the scenes...in more detail than what the news media pumped out to us for 4 weeks before Dubbya decided to play war. I want to meet the people that I will never have a chance to say thank you too. I want to know their stories and I think this movie is a good way of doing that.

So for those of you that don't want to see it...go see Ice Age instead or stay home and mow the lawn or something. I would like to see it. I would like to relive those days so that I know that even though I was so far removed from all the action in person, I can really understand what it is that we keep sending our miltary overseas for rather than just some political agenda (which is all it really appears to be at this point).

No one's making you sit down and watch this movie so there's no reason for you to tell me I can't by having it pulled from the theatre.
PMEmail Poster               
ballydun 
Posted: 05-Apr-2006, 12:56 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Albuquerque, New Mexico

female

I certainly don't think it's too soon. I personally won't go see it, not my kind of movie, but I think our country as a whole has forgotten the impact it had on us. I don't think a reminder of how fragile life is and how evil people can be is a bad thing. I think the movie is about the heroes on the flight 93 in Pennsylvania and not focusing so much on the Twin Towers, but that whole morning needs to be remembered by everyone, the after effects need to be remembered. Remember how everyone had a flag on their house? everyone was proud to be American. That feeling has gone away for many people. Maybe this kind of reminder is what we need to make our country stronger and more united again.
Just my opinion!

--------------------
[color=red]"I've learned that whenever I decide something with an open heart, I usually make the right decision." Maya Angelou

PMEmail Poster               
CelticCoalition 
Posted: 05-Apr-2006, 01:04 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacReed

male

The movie isn't out yet...according to IMDB.com it will be released in the US on August 11.

I understand why the trailer is being pulled from theaters in various places. I suppose people could just walk out of the theater and come back when the trailer is over, but I suppose it would be a little bit of a shock for people who weren't ready for it.

From what I have heard it is mainly about flight 93 that went down before reaching it's intended target. I already watched the Discovery Channel documentary on the phone calls made from this flight and the reenactment of what it was believed happened on the flight. I don't need to sit down for a 2 hour long fictionalized version.

However, I agree that if anyone wants to they are welcome to go see it and I'll just go see a happy movie.

I have also heard, from the same radio broadcast, that some of the families gave the green light, and others said they didn't want the movie to be made.....

ON a side note, I saw the new Ice Age movie and enjoyed it very much. Just as good as the first one.
PMEmail Poster               
dundee 
Posted: 05-Apr-2006, 01:08 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacReed

male

senra nobody said you couldnt watch it or that it shouldnt be released. why are you so defensive all the time? and please dont tell me you are trying to make people think. not everything people say is a personal attack on you... a question was asked and people are repling. do we really need the sarcastic snips about seeing ice age or mowing the lawn? or about dubbya playing war? keep that crap in the political forum please.
jedibowers 
Posted: 05-Apr-2006, 01:21 PM
Quote Post

Knight of the Round Table

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Fishers, IN

male

From what I have read about the filming of the movie, they have gotten each families permission to do this movie. They have done a lot of research and have asked what different people were wearing that day. So it seems that they are trying to make it as factual as they can. It will be hard to do since no one lived to tell about what actually happened and only can be pieced together from testimonies and recordings.

I'm glad that they have gone and talked to each family to get permission. I'm not sure if it is too soon or not. I know that I would like to see it, but not sure if I will go see it in the theater or wait till it comes out on DVD. I still have strong emotions when I see the world trade center footage.
PMEmail Poster                
Senara 
Posted: 05-Apr-2006, 02:58 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

female

QUOTE (dundee @ 05-Apr-2006, 02:08 PM)
senra nobody said you couldnt watch it or that it shouldnt be released. why are you so defensive all the time? and please dont tell me you are trying to make people think. not everything people say is a personal attack on you... a question was asked and people are repling. do we really need the sarcastic snips about seeing ice age or mowing the lawn? or about dubbya playing war? keep that crap in the political forum please.

I'm not defensive all the time and for you to assume as much means you really read your own agenda into what is said around here. I'm allowed to have an opinion am I not? Or is it because I'm a "troll" that you harp on me all the time? Pointing out my flaws every time because I have a different viewpoint is not going to make your perfect little life agenda happen. If I can't voice my viewpoints anymore then there really is no "free speech" anywhere. Making summary judgements based on what one person thinks is right and what is wrong has only caused a giant rift in the culture of our country and I'm not about to let my opinion go unheard like it or not.

Yes a question was asked... and I REPLIED! so what? Quit policing my posts.

*hops off soap box*

My post basicially stated if you don't like it don't watch it...just like the violence on tv....or the snide comments on the net. If you don't like it, turn it off or change the channel. Simple as that. If you read more into it than that, then I would highly suggest you either 1) Get to know me. 2) skip my posts and don't read them. or 3) take your accusations of me to a private message and spare the rest of the population your divisive remarks.

If the theatres want to show the movie they should. If they want to show the trailers they should. If they want to please everyone well, that will never happen. I think the theatres are going to be smart enough to know their own customers and will adjust their showings accordingly.
PMEmail Poster               
Shadows 
Posted: 05-Apr-2006, 04:47 PM
Quote Post

Reader of souls, vision seeker, TROLL
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: The frontier of Penn's Woods

male

The event being discussed brings high emotion to all who lived throught it.

We as a Nation need to heal, and hiding it under the carpet or displaying flaring disregard for others is not needed.

--------------------
I support the separation of church and hate!

IMAGINATION - the freest and largest nation in the world!

One can not profess to be of "GOD" and show intolerence and prejudice towards the beliefs of others.

Am fear nach gleidh na h–airm san t–sith, cha bhi iad aige ’n am a’ chogaidh.
He that keeps not his arms in time of peace will have none in time of war.

"We're all in this together , in the parking lot between faith and fear" ... O.C.M.S.

“Beasts feed; man eats; only the man of intellect knows how to eat well.”

"Without food we are nothing, without history we are lost." - SHADOWS

Is iomadh duine laghach a mhill an Creideamh.
Religion has spoiled many a good man.

The clan MacEwen
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
Senara 
Posted: 06-Apr-2006, 07:20 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

female

I wish to take this moment to appologize. It seems some of you have taken my words as hateful and that certainly wasn't my intent. I can be perceived as very direct and harsh at times and never intend to be hurtful at all. I'm not the type of person however to just "follow the herd" so to speak. I, like anyone else here want to voice my opinions but I can tell that it is too difficult for some of you to understand my point of view. So for the time being I will keep my opinions to myself and let you all conform the best way you can. bye1.gif
PMEmail Poster               
stoirmeil 
Posted: 06-Apr-2006, 08:41 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: New York

First of all, I'm surprised this thread wasn't taken to the political forum much before it came to this. It's so inherently a political topic, it seems quite clear that's where it belongs. Second -- I hope Senara does not retire from posting here. There's no discussion without dissenting viewpoints, there's only self-congratulatory ranting -- no matter which side it's coming from -- and for my part, her voice is a good part of the leaven that keeps the conversational dough rising around here.

I'm feeling very torn about a full feature movie on this topic. I'm not sure it's because it's too soon emotionally, in a general way. One of the older people I know was at Pearl Harbor. When he saw the film he said things that sum up to "it was too soon for him," meaning that it would never cease to bring him back and it would never hurt less to be reminded. For my part, now that it's four and a half years later, I'm happy to report that I can get into a subway again without fearing a panic attack. Would I go see the movie? Doubt it. But that aspect is very relative, and people should know themslves well enougvh to gauge what they can tolerate. I'm more concerned about the time needed to form a critical distance from the event, and the way it might be slanted politically. I have very vile and negative gut feelings at seeing references to the events thrown about as political leverage. And on the other hand, realistically, I wonder if it will ever be possible to create a genuinely objective portrayal, especially in a medium like a feature film that doesn't even claim to be a documentary.
PMEmail Poster               
CelticCoalition 
Posted: 06-Apr-2006, 08:59 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacReed

male

Just to explain my reasoning for starting the thread in the general discussion area instead of the political area.

My initial thoughts on this were to get peoples general opinons on this movie. I did realize that this was an emotional topic, and I did consider starting it in the political forum. However, I decided that it isn't really a political issue and I wanted to try and avoid the regular old arguments and debating that goes on in the political forum.

Perhaps I'm overstepping my bounds here, but I don't believe Senara was out of place with her psts at all, nor do I feel you need to apologize.
Your opinion was valid, and there was mention of pulling the trailer from theaters. If the trailer is pulled, the movie could very well be pulled as well. I'm not trying to police the forum, but I for one want to say I wasn't offended, nor did I feel your words hateful.

I agree. I don't want to watch the movie, but I don't think it should be taken away from those who do wish to see it. I'll just buy a ticket to a more fluffy and happy movie instead.

I don't like to mow the lawn. biggrin.gif
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]