gwen 
Posted: 03-Nov-2006, 08:33 AM
Quote Post

Clan Member

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacRowan

Realm: Utah

female

do y'all remember the original National Velvet movie, with Elizabeth Taylor and Mickey Rooney when they were really, really young? i know it's way before my time, but my grandparents had it on tape. i remember watching it over and over-loved that movie. and the old Little Women movie with Katherine Hepburn as Jo.

--------------------
warm heart, warm hearth
bring me to thee-
out of the world's bluster and bite.
i'll hold my children
in a place soft and light,
and welcome the wanderer
that knocks at my door.
PMEmail Poster               
Lady of the Loch 
Posted: 04-Nov-2006, 08:30 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacBirch

Realm: Indiana

female

QUOTE (gwen @ 03-Nov-2006, 09:33 AM)
do y'all remember the original National Velvet movie, with Elizabeth Taylor and Mickey Rooney when they were really, really young? i know it's way before my time, but my grandparents had it on tape. i remember watching it over and over-loved that movie. and the old Little Women movie with Katherine Hepburn as Jo.

no, I don't sad.gif I haven't even heard of it. but there are a lot of times I will sit and watch old movies like that.
PMEmail Poster                View My Space Profile.
ikkinlala 
Posted: 04-Nov-2006, 08:02 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacAlder

female

This thread is making me feel really young. Of everything listed, the only things I remember are:

- Phone booths, which are still around, although harder to find than they used to be. The last time I used one, I was shocked to find that a local call cost 35 cents.

- Polio vaccine in paper cups. I know I got that at least once, and I think the other kind I got was something on a sugar cube.

- Not having an answering machine (my family still doesn't have one), and having a rotary phone (the phone company said we had to get a touch tone phone when I was about nine, but the rotary one is still in use as our upstairs phone).

-Rabbit ears being the only way to get TV reception.

I'm in the age group that I should probably remember some of the toys and cartoons that have been mentioned, but I didn't watch a lot of TV.

I'm not sure there's much I can add that not everyone would remember, but since I seem to be on the phone theme right now I'll mention party lines. When I was little, we'd sometimes pick up the phone to use it and get yelled at by the teenager from down the road.
PMEmail Poster               
Lady of the Loch 
Posted: 04-Nov-2006, 08:25 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacBirch

female

oh yeah, I remember the party lines. When we werew little we would get on there and listen to the old people hahahahahahaha
zeryx 
Posted: 05-Nov-2006, 04:51 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: Dunfermline ~ Scotland

female

smile.gif my parents used to have a party line and we'd sometimes hear the other people on the line.

I'm sure everyone remembers well though the excitement they felt when they woke up during the night on Christmas Eve, wondering if Father Christmas had been yet!

--------------------
user posted image

Friends are like quiet angels who lift our feet when our wings forget how to fly
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Lady of the Loch 
Posted: 05-Nov-2006, 07:52 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacBirch

female

absolutely! That is like my fav part of x-mas cause I can see that in my kids, being all excited and nervous, not wanting to sleep...hahahahaha the good thing is they still all believe
gwen 
Posted: 13-Nov-2006, 10:53 AM
Quote Post

Clan Member

ZodiacRowan

Realm: Utah

female

i remember one Christmas when i was about nine that we all spent the night of Christmas Eve at my grandparents' teeny house. i vowed i would stay awake all night long to see if i could hear Santa or the sleigh bells. i remember staying up most of the night watching the clock, but i never heard a thing. must have fallen asleep at some point, though, because all the presents were there in the morning.
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]