Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> I Found This Upsetting!, pay to be evacuated???
Shadows 
Posted: 19-Jul-2006, 05:33 AM
Quote Post

Reader of souls, vision seeker, TROLL
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: The frontier of Penn's Woods

male

On the news last night it was reported that the American citizens in Lebonon had to pay the US government to be evacuated from that war zone! It was stated that if they could not pay upfront they had to sign an IOU stating that they promised to pay when returned to this country!

WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE?????

--------------------
I support the separation of church and hate!

IMAGINATION - the freest and largest nation in the world!

One can not profess to be of "GOD" and show intolerence and prejudice towards the beliefs of others.

Am fear nach gleidh na h–airm san t–sith, cha bhi iad aige ’n am a’ chogaidh.
He that keeps not his arms in time of peace will have none in time of war.

"We're all in this together , in the parking lot between faith and fear" ... O.C.M.S.

“Beasts feed; man eats; only the man of intellect knows how to eat well.”

"Without food we are nothing, without history we are lost." - SHADOWS

Is iomadh duine laghach a mhill an Creideamh.
Religion has spoiled many a good man.

The clan MacEwen
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
Elspeth 
Posted: 19-Jul-2006, 05:47 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Wales
ZodiacReed

female

Jeeze! Look at all the places we shell out millions to and we're too cheap to take care of our own?

--------------------
Compassion is the sometimes fatal capacity for feeling what it is like inside somebody else's skin. It is the knowledge that there can never really be any peace and joy for me until there is peace and joy finally for you too.
- Frederick Buechner

If society prospers at the expense of the intangibles,
how can it be called progress?

-LLP
maisky 
Posted: 19-Jul-2006, 06:43 AM
Quote Post

King of CelticRadio.net Jesters
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacIvy

Realm: Easton, PA

male

Our administration in action.... rolleyes.gif

We are the ONLY country charging its citizens to be evacuated. The evacuation efforts rival the response to Katrina: totally inept with NO leadership from the White House.

--------------------
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
Carl Sagan
PMEmail Poster               
Shadows 
Posted: 19-Jul-2006, 07:07 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHolly

male

QUOTE (maisky @ 19-Jul-2006, 08:43 AM)
... leadership from the White House...

What is that!? We have not had true leadership from the Whitehouse in the past 6 years!

Still NO excuse for charging tax paying citizens to be evacuated from a war zone!

This charge for service was "implimented" right after the Granada evac by yet another "great?" president....
Randy 
Posted: 19-Jul-2006, 08:00 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacReed

Realm: Rochester, NY

male

I still agree 100% that US citizens should be evacuated fro free, but I remember hearing that there are certain countries that if you want to go to you need to sign a waver saying you will pay if you need evacuating. I have been looking all over for confirmation on this and have not found it so I may have been listening to someone that does not know what they are talking about.
If you think about it the cost of evacuation must be quite high and maybe the government should not be responsible for saving everyone who makes bad choices (even if they were not bad at the time). I mean where does it end. Does that country that will evacuate you have the right to tell its citizens that they do not have the right to go to dangerous countries, so they lower the chances of performing a rescue operation?? It often seems on this board that the general since is that we want the government out of your life and I whole heartily agree, but if I do not think you can pick and choose when you want government involvement.
I spend alot of time in Central and South America and will FINALLY be going to the Congo this year, so this idea can possibly hit close to home for me.
PMEmail Poster               
stoirmeil 
Posted: 19-Jul-2006, 08:25 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

Realm: New York

Congo? jeez . . . Randy, I'd look into making some kind of private arrangements before you ship out.

PMEmail Poster               
maisky 
Posted: 19-Jul-2006, 08:31 AM
Quote Post

King of CelticRadio.net Jesters
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacIvy

Realm: Easton, PA

male

QUOTE (stoirmeil @ 19-Jul-2006, 08:25 AM)
Congo? jeez . . . Randy, I'd look into making some kind of private arrangements before you ship out.

Like chosing Hawaii instead? biggrin.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Shadows 
Posted: 19-Jul-2006, 09:39 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHolly

male

This has nothing to do with picking and choosing government control!

We are either citzens of this country or we are not!

BAD CHOICES??? People visiting family, students in University, folks just on vacation?

There was no forwarning that this event was about to happen and those folks mentioned above had no clue ( our present administration probilbly did ), but that is all beside the point....

Since when do AMERICAN CITZENS have to pay to be safe when abroad?

I hope your excursion into Africa does not cause you unjust monitary expense, not to mention the stress that you could go through because of your decission.

WE are citizens of this country and are government is supposed to protect us in situations like these and not at extra cost to those involved.

Viet Nam, Granada,and other places where our citizens have been in peril were free extraction, just because we valued our people during those times... seems our values have changed today!
Elspeth 
Posted: 19-Jul-2006, 11:14 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacReed

female

Anyone else see Hotel Rwanda? Frightening what travelers can be caught in the middle of. (besides the horror of the people who lived there)

If we were an impoverished nation I could see some arguement for the contingency of 'you're on your own if you choose to go there'. But we are not. We shell out money all over the place for ridiculous reasons.

Business is now global. The govt can't encourage global competitiveness and then not support their citizens abroad.

I think we have to go back a lot farther than 6 years to find leadership in the White House. I don't care if it is a Democrat, Republican or Rodeo Clown please, please somebody worthy of the job run for office next time. Just once in my life I'd like to vote FOR a candidate instead of against the larger of two evils.

Curious, shadows. When this was reported was their any feedback? Has anyone seen feedback since the report?
Shadows 
Posted: 19-Jul-2006, 11:31 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHolly

male

The report was on CNN Headline news last night about 7 - 7:30PM .

My wife said she heard it again on the local news at 11PM.
stoirmeil 
Posted: 19-Jul-2006, 11:42 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

It's real! sad.gif I heard it this morning early on NPR when I got up.
PMEmail Poster               
stoirmeil 
Posted: 19-Jul-2006, 12:20 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

But it seems it's been waived:

http://media.nationalreview.com/post/?q=Nm...jNkNWRkMDliZjg=

Of course, we have to play badminton with whose law it is . . . unsure.gif
Who CARES!? As long as we get the people out of there.
PMEmail Poster               
Elspeth 
Posted: 19-Jul-2006, 12:28 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacReed

female

QUOTE (stoirmeil @ 19-Jul-2006, 12:42 PM)
It's real! sad.gif I heard it this morning early on NPR when I got up.

I didn't mean to imply it wasn't real but was wondering now that it was out, was anything being done about it.
SCShamrock 
Posted: 19-Jul-2006, 09:16 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

Realm: Gamecock Country

male

I find this policy to be fantastic. First of all, regardless of the perceived chance of violence, the fact is the region has been a hotbed of war and strife, so those venturing there know ahead of time that their chances of being "caught in the middle" are better than somewhere else. Secondly, this "government" responsibility happens to be my money too. I'll bet you my last bowl of grits that if a nation-wide vote were taken, the outcome would be overwhelmingly "yes, go get em, and yes, make em pay for it." I also agree with people paying for ambulance rides. I suppose that makes me a heartless ba**ard, but guess what? I don't think life is free. Furthermore, I think if anyone believes in "free extraction", then they obviously don't know anything about our system of taxation. Additionally, remarks about wasteful government spending does not equate to a blank check for all subsequent spending.

This does make me want to ask a few questions:

How many Americans in Lebanon does it take to warrant the enormous resources of our military to execute such an extraction?

Which presidential administration set up such a policy as was mentioned earlier?

If this policy has been rescinded, what do ya think about W now?

Should American motorcycle riders who crash in states with no helmet law receive government (people, remember) paid medical care or funerals?

Is there any peril an American can put themselves in that makes their rescue their own responsibility?

Why do I see this reaction as a product of the DemocRats parental approach to governing?

--------------------
The peculiar evil of silencing the expression of an opinion is, that it is robbing the human race; posterity as well as the existing generation; those who dissent from the opinion, still more than those who hold it. If the opinion is right, they are deprived of the opportunity of exchanging error for truth: if wrong, they lose, what is almost as great a benefit, the clearer perception and livelier impression of truth, produced by its collision with error. ~John Stuart Mill, On Liberty, 1859

Education: that which reveals to the wise, and conceals from the stupid, the vast limits of their knowledge.
~Mark Twain
PMEmail Poster               
jedibowers 
Posted: 20-Jul-2006, 07:55 AM
Quote Post

Knight of the Round Table

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Fishers, IN

male

So people are a bunch of whinners. This region has been at boiling point for awhile. Right about the time that this Isreal/Lebanon war has started, the government warned people that they should not travel to this area and if you are there, you should make plans to get out. It is not the governments job to have to pay for everyone to leave an area because the people that want to leave did not get out when there was a chance.

Here is a tidbit that most people are not reporting, a lot of these people that are being rescued have dual citizenship with America and Lebanon. Now which country, if any, should cover the cost of these people being rescued? The US government is air lifting people out by coper, cruise ships, and now a carrier task force with the Marines. This is going to cost millions.

I's sorry, if I get word that the government is warning about traveling in an area that I'm in, you better believe that I would be on the next plane home!!
PMEmail Poster                
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]