Patch 
Posted: 06-Apr-2010, 04:41 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacIvy

Realm: America, Mid West

male

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

- James Earl Jones

Slàinte,    

Patch    

PMEmail Poster               
Patch 
Posted: 06-Apr-2010, 05:42 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

"When a strong man, fully armed, guards his house, his possessions are safe."

- Luke 11:21

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
Patch 
Posted: 06-Apr-2010, 05:43 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

"If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed."

- Exodus 22:2

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
Patch 
Posted: 06-Apr-2010, 05:44 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

"Jesus said, 'But now whoever has a purse or a bag, must take it and whoever does not have a sword must sell his cloak and buy one.'"

- Luke 22:36

Slàinte,    

Patch    

PMEmail Poster               
stoirmeil 
Posted: 06-Apr-2010, 08:05 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: New York

Ooooh, I like this.

“Guns don't kill people, people kill people, and monkeys do too (if they have a gun).”
Eddie Izzard
PMEmail Poster               
Patch 
Posted: 06-Apr-2010, 08:47 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

"I will teach my children weapons and warfare, so they might teach their children science and law, so they might teach their children art and literature."

- Unknown Greek

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
wdorholt 
Posted: 06-Apr-2010, 11:20 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Perham, Minnesota

male

QUOTE (Patch @ 06-Apr-2010, 05:44 PM)
"Jesus said, 'But now whoever has a purse or a bag, must take it and whoever does not have a sword must sell his cloak and buy one.'"

- Luke 22:36

Slàinte,    

Patch    

Most biblical scholars suggest that this was not to be taken literally, but a way of Jesus saying to his apostles after the last supper that enemies upon every side will assail them or to indicate they were at a time of extreme danger. Shortly after this passage, Jesus rebukes Peter for using the sword.

--------------------
Is beannaithe iad a shantaíonn an ceartas
(Blessed are those who desire justice)
PMEmail Poster               
Patch 
Posted: 07-Apr-2010, 12:17 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

I included it because that is how it was written. One could determine that everything in the bible has a different meaning from what is written. Actually different meanings could be attributed to every passage and probably have so I suspect the wisest course is to take it for what it says.I have more of the biblical references. I have always understood that the rebuke was for the time at which Peter used the sword, not the "fact" that he used it. Peter was trying to change what was to be.

Slàinte,    

Patch    

PMEmail Poster               
wdorholt 
Posted: 07-Apr-2010, 01:02 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Perham, Minnesota

male

QUOTE (Patch @ 07-Apr-2010, 12:17 AM)
I have always understood that the rebuke was for the time at which Peter used the sword, not the "fact" that he used it.  Peter was trying to change what was to be. 

Slàinte,    

Patch    

A reasonable point. But I don't think Jesus is your best candidate for poster boy for the GOA.
PMEmail Poster               
Antwn 
Posted: 07-Apr-2010, 09:15 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: UDA ond o linach Cymry

male

QUOTE (Patch @ 07-Apr-2010, 01:17 AM)
I included it because that is how it was written. One could determine that everything in the bible has a different meaning from what is written. Actually different meanings could be attributed to every passage and probably have so I suspect the wisest course is to take it for what it says

Yes, God forbid that anything be "interpreted", even the Bible. Odd that the majority of your "gun" quotes are Biblical quotes or from an "unknown Greek". Any quotes having to do with guns in your gun quote thread?

--------------------
Yr hen Gymraeg i mi,
Hon ydyw iaith teimladau,
Ac adlais i guriadau
Fy nghalon ydyw hi
--- Mynyddog
PMEmail Poster               
Antwn 
Posted: 07-Apr-2010, 09:20 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

male

QUOTE (wdorholt @ 07-Apr-2010, 02:02 AM)
But I don't think Jesus is your best candidate for poster boy for the GOA.

Could there be a greater understatement than this? rolleyes.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Antwn 
Posted: 07-Apr-2010, 09:30 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

male

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my paranoid, mentally disturbed, physically-abusive, cold, dead hand."
- Bumper sticker

"Every gun that's made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed. This world in arms...is spending the genius of its scientists, the sweat of its laborers,” -- Dwight Eisenhower

PMEmail Poster               
Patch 
Posted: 07-Apr-2010, 09:54 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

Actually, when CC picked up some popularity after a change in the law, one of the early classes had a preacher three deacons and some of the parishioners from the same church. There were a number of discussions outside of the regular training about why they had decided to obtain licenses. The minister and deacons quoted a great amount of scripture to support their actions including those verses posted. The gist of their belief was that while it was not Christian to assault ones fellow man, it also was not christian to Fail to protect your family. They felt that their family included friends and parishioners and all of Gods people.

That same class also had a man in his late 70's, at least, who when I asked why he had decided to obtain a license said that he was concerned that one day soon he might need a firearm to go to the grocery store and get back home This was while the world economies were still booming.

All present had interesting reasons for their decision but the most wrenching was the young lady who had been assaulted by her male friend and nearly killed 5 years earlier. He was about to be released and she was terrified.

Enough

Slàinte,    

Patch    

PMEmail Poster               
Antwn 
Posted: 07-Apr-2010, 10:40 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

male

QUOTE (Patch @ 07-Apr-2010, 10:54 AM)
Actually, when CC picked up some popularity after a change in the law, one of the early classes had a preacher three deacons and some of the parishioners from the same church. There were a number of discussions outside of the regular training about why they had decided to obtain licenses. The minister and deacons quoted a great amount of scripture to support their actions including those verses posted. The gist of their belief was that while it was not Christian to assault ones fellow man, it also was not christian to Fail to protect your family. They felt that their family included friends and parishioners and all of Gods people.

You can find Biblical verses to justify about any position you wish to take on any issue. So what. The thread (which you started) is entitled "gun control quotes" not "Biblical quotes cherrypicked to justify a position on guns with an occasional anonymous Greek person thrown in to add dubious authority by his ancient greekness". Just thought I'd clarify that.
PMEmail Poster               
Patch 
Posted: 07-Apr-2010, 11:02 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

"There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period."

- Ted Nugent

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]