Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Gooseberry Fool
Catriona 
Posted: 22-Jul-2003, 08:14 AM
Quote Post

Banned Member

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

The gooseberries from the 'sheltered' side of my garden are fully ripened - and apart from gooseberry pies and crumbles, I like to make this chilled, summer pudding.

A 'fool' is a mixture of cream with fruit.... The English claim it as theirs, but I certainly have a version of it in my family receipt book which was started in 1802 or so....!

This is similar to a Scots cranachan - but no oats!

1.5 lb of gooseberries (approximate - I never measure fruit, just see how far they come up the collection bow to know when I have enoughl!)
Sugar to taste - 1-2 tbsp
Little water (very little, just enough to help soften the fruit)
1 pt of double cream
(I sometimes use creme fraiche/double cream in equal quantities to cut down on the fats)
a sprinkling of almond flakes (toasted under the grill until just slightly coloured)

Top n tail the gooseberries. Put into a saucepan with about 1.5 tablespoons of sugar. Add a little water, only a little, as the fruit will release juice. Cook gently cook the gooseberries soften. Many of the will burst, but that's OK. Taste the goosberry sauce to check that it is sweet enough. for your taste, if it isn't add a little more sugar. Reserve a few of the still whole gooseberries. Push the rest through a seive to get a puree. Leave the puree to cool completely.

Beat the double cream until it forms gentle peaks. Add a couple of drops of vanilla to the cream to give a little extra fillip. Gently fold the gooseberries into the cream mix. Do not mix too much, it's nice to find little strands of the puree amongst the cream!

Spoon into individual dishes and sprinkle with a few of the almond flakes. Chill in the refrigerator for at least one hour.

This is also nice with rhubarb or raspberries.
PMEmail Poster               
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]