Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> When Did Your Family Emigrate?, And where from?
cscunningham 
Posted: 01-Aug-2004, 09:22 AM
Quote Post

Clan Member

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAlder

Realm: Connecticut

male

My Grandfather, Wallace Cunningham came to America in the early 1900 to work in the Mills along the Saco River in Maine. My Grandmother Agnes Gallacher of Aridrie Scotland came over a few years after my Grandfather, she came over as a hired cook and house-keeper, (basicly a indentured servent) for a family in Saco, Maine.

I am second generation American-Scot My Aunt just gave me some of my family history, just yesterday. On the surface I can see that she starts our history from a John Cunningham born in 1816 and was a railway storekeeper. Should be fun trying piec the family tree togeather.

If there are any Cunningham's out there would love to hear form you.

--------------------
C.S. Cunningham, Clan Cunningham USA -
Membership Coordinator & New England/New York Region Director
[email protected]

If there is righteousness in the heart,
there will be beauty in the character.
If there is beauty in the character,
there will be harmony in the home.
If there is harmony in the home,
there will be order in the nation.
If there is order in the nation,
there will be peace in the world.
So let it be.

My Webpage
PMEmail Poster               
TheCarolinaScotsman 
Posted: 02-Aug-2004, 06:42 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: North Carolina

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #76
42,853 Gold!

My McKays came to Iredell County (then part of Rowan County) in North Carolina in the early 1770s. Several groups came from 1770 to about 1774. Not sure which my family was part of. They had a settlement west of present day Statesville called New Stirling. That's where my gg-grandfather James McKay was born in 1796. James's father may have come as a young boy or been born there also. GG-grandmother McKay listed as born in Scotland 1790, but don't know last name. Still researching. Also on Dad's side, Stevensons and McClellands came to Iredell County in mid 1700s. Garrisons (originally Dutch) to New Amsterdam in 1600s. Watts came first to Virginia or Maryland in 1600s.

On Mom's side, most came from Ireland (some were Irish, some Ulster Scots), to York County, South Carolina in the 1750s (McElwee) and 1760s (Caldwell). Wallace's settled near Charlotte, NC in 1780s. Hamiltons first to Pennsylvania in 1740s then to South Carolina 10 years later. Still researching on the Rosses and some others.

Some others on both sides, but thats the main ones I have info on.

--------------------
TheCarolinaScotsman

Ya'll drive safe and come back soon.
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
MacAibhistin 
Posted: 23-Aug-2004, 10:43 PM
Quote Post

Knight of the Round Table

ZodiacOak

Realm: northern Canada - somewhere between the treeline and civilisation

male

My dad's side of the family (Austin) came from Northern Ireland in the 1770s and married into some Hugenot French (Langille), Highland Scot (Munro, MacKay, MacLean), Irish (O'Dwyer), and English (Ridgeway) along the way. All of these people had come to Nova Scotia in the late 1700s except for the Ridgway's who came from England in the 1860s or 70s.

My mother is mostly Scottish and almost all of her people came over in the early 1800s - MacLeods, Beatons, Rosses, Cullens, MacDonalds. Her Jamesons came to the US from Scotland in the 1770s, and her Langleys came from Ireland (Anglo Irish) in the 1750s during the battle for N. America between the British and the French.

As you can see I am a mixture of mostly celtic people, but a mixture nonetheless.
PMEmail Poster               
Cailiosa 
Posted: 05-Sep-2004, 01:08 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Western Kentucky

female

Where did they not emigrate from? My family, in it's own right, is a bit of a melting pot. So far I have discovered Polish, Irish, German, English, Scottish, Welsh, and a little bit of Greek ancestory on both sides of my family. Who knows what I will discover next . . . tracing my roots has certainly been an adventure!

--------------------
"For man He suffered and He died:
If man will take His word as guide
And leave all infamy,
Then we shall come to happiness
And blisses more than we can guess in Jesu's company."

Check out my journal
PMEmail Poster               
MacAibhistin 
Posted: 06-Sep-2004, 10:27 PM
Quote Post

Knight of the Round Table

ZodiacOak

Realm: northern Canada - somewhere between the treeline and civilisation

male

Cailiosa, you are truly a mosaic! You could hold an Olympics with just yourself! What an interesting ancestry you have. BTW, what does your name mean?

Rory
PMEmail Poster               
Cailiosa 
Posted: 10-Sep-2004, 10:57 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Western Kentucky

female

QUOTE (MacAibhistin @ 06-Sep-2004, 11:27 PM)
BTW, what does your name mean?

Rory

It means "girl of Jesus."
PMEmail Poster               
Annham 
Posted: 14-Sep-2004, 09:06 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHazel

female

The ancestors I know of came from Yorkshire and thereabouts in England to VA in the 1600's(Thornton, Dade, Townsend)
Others from Italy to London to VA (Taliaferro)
Some in 1700s from England and Ireland by way of France (Kershaw, Pettigru(Pettigrew), King) to NC & SC, GA.
Some were of Spanish (Farias, Cano) first emigrated to Mexico 1800's and came 1913 through NY and on to OH then NC.
Others were from Ireland (Hoy , Hannon, Pickens) 1750's or so and were said to be Scotch Irish, They were Presbyterians. The first came to New England and then on to PA and West Virginia.

Anne

--------------------
“This is my simple religion. There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness.”

~ Dalai Lama
21st century spiritual and political leader of Tibet and Nobel Peace Prize winner (1989)
PMEmail Poster               
Sekhmet 
Posted: 16-Sep-2004, 06:01 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: Pittsburgh-ish, Pennsylvania

female

I have to say this up front:

I'm a mutt.

I have, at last count: Scots, Irish, Scots-Irish, English, Welsh, German, Dutch, Spanish, French, and three Native tribes (Lenape, Shoshoni and Mingo in case anyone's wondering) ancestry that we know of.

My maiden name is Kellerman, and I can only trace them back to about 1825 in Armstrong County, Pennsylvania. From there they drop off the face of the planet.

Continuing on my fathers side:

The Allisons came from Iredell and Derry Counties, Ulster. They emigrated here in the early 1700s, at least before 1752, when one of my ancestors married a girl in Cumberland County, Pennsylvania.

The Short family came from either Ireland or Scotland; I'm inclined to say Scotland. John Short, Sr. was born in 1768 and married sometime before 1804 in Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania.

We have no idea where the McMasters' branch came from. Well, ok. With the "Mc" it kind of narrows things down, but we don't know *when* they came over.

Ditto the Rigbys.

We're fairly sure the Shireys on my father's side were Irish, but not the Shireys on my mother's side. They were German and the name aberrated from "Scheurer". Another cold trail that I'm working on...there's a lot of those! tongue.gif

The Burns were Scots that we suspect came in around 1835.

The Baird/Beard family came from Ulster in the early 1700s. Rumor has it that a generation or two before that one of them bore a Stewart child on the wrong side of the sheets, but I'm taking that tidbit with a salt block.

Ok, moving on to my mother's side:

The Gowers emigrated from England in the early 1870s. They've been driving me nuts lately with conflicting reports, but we digress.

The Todds appear in Augusta County, Virginia shortly after the Revolutionary War. It's believed the farm they lived on was a land grant for service in the army. Beyond that, they disappear too. Family rumor has it that they were forcibly emigrated from Scotland, which I'm inclined to believe, but I can't get documentation on it.

The Ramsburgs came from Schifferstadt, Rhienland, in what's now Germany (obviously). They emigrated sometime before 1740 and bopped around Pennsylvania for awhile before settling in Maryland. Later on they moved to West Virginia.

The Learns came from Germany as well, and emigrated somewhere around 1745. Said immigrant's wife was a Dutch woman. Not Duetch, she was from Holland. tongue.gif

The Amond family came around the time of the French and Indian war.

Ok, I've rattled on long enough!

PMEmail Poster               View My Space Profile.
Freya1971 
Posted: 18-Sep-2004, 04:16 AM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacIvy

female

My mother's family, which is primarily Scottish and English (a tad of Irish mixed in there as well) immigrated to the United States when it was still part of Great Britain. My father's family came from Germany, and stayed in England for a few years then moved on the U.S.-his mother's side came before 1776 and his father's side after 1810. We had family fighting each other on both sides of the Revolution and the Civil Wars. My maternal Great-great grandmother was Cherokee Indian, so that branch of the family was always here.
PMEmail Poster               
bubba 
Posted: 19-Sep-2004, 07:49 AM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: Northeast Wisconsin

male

My Aunt and I have focused on the Scottish family but I'm a mix of Scottish, Irish and German. On the German side pre WW II records are nonexistant, but they came to the US in 1912 or thereabouts. The Irish side is Butler of Kilkenny. On the Scottish side, Andrew Greely came to America in 1640, then left Massachussetts for Maine. My GGGrandfather left Maine in 1854 and was one of the founders of Outagamie County in Wisconsin.

--------------------
[SIZE=7]Curtesie is cumbersom to them that kens it not.
PMEmail Poster               
Annham 
Posted: 19-Sep-2004, 11:34 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHazel

female

QUOTE (Freya1971 @ 18-Sep-2004, 06:16 AM)
My mother's family, which is primarily Scottish and English (a tad of Irish mixed in there as well) immigrated to the United States when it was still part of Great Britain. My father's family came from Germany, and stayed in England for a few years then moved on the U.S.-his mother's side came before 1776 and his father's side after 1810. We had family fighting each other on both sides of the Revolution and the Civil Wars. My maternal Great-great grandmother was Cherokee Indian, so that branch of the family was always here.

Freva, Nice to meet you...
If you list a few of your family names here, you may be able to make connections with someone. smile.gif
Anne
PMEmail Poster               
Annham 
Posted: 19-Sep-2004, 11:42 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHazel

female

QUOTE (CelticRose @ 28-Jun-2004, 09:12 PM)
I know I said before that most of my family came from Yorkshire, England.

Celticrose,
Many of my ancestors came from Yorkshire too. Do you know where they originally landed & settled?
Anne
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 20-Sep-2004, 04:12 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Anne! My family from Yorkshire, England came to the states and settled at first in Pennsylvania and then moved down to North Carolina and then finally settled in Georgia. there was a branch that became Mormans and moved to Utah though. Hope that helps. What about you?
Annham 
Posted: 20-Sep-2004, 09:35 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHazel

female

Hi Rose,
I was hoping maybe we could find a connection. Mine came in mid 1600's to York Co. and Rapahannock Co. Va... Later after the Revolutionary war, some of those moved up into KY and later some to WV.
Some also came later (late 1700's?) but I am not sure what part of England and/or Ireland they came from.. they went to NC then on to SC, GA and Miss. Kershaws, Kings & Pettigru/Pettigrew's are the main ones I can remember right off hand.
Anne
smile.gif
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 21-Sep-2004, 01:45 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Anne! Also, my family from Yorkshire, England were Quakers. Sounds like your family and mine could have crossed paths. My family's surname was Whitaker. What was yours?

Rose
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]